Week of July 31 - Aug 6

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by puddleglum, Aug 1, 2017.

1. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

I hope you guys don't mind if I start a thread for this week. It isn't as official looking as Gord's, sorry.

My only driving today was back to the store for more groceries with my wife. 1 mile each way. 5.8 l/100 km.
    Got my bike working for my ride to work today, only to break another spoke on the way home. Fixed this one quicker but I'm thinking this wheel is about done.

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

We appreciate it , puddleglum. You know how lazy Americans are. Today , 66.5 deg F , wind S1. Only 34.9 miles today (!?) I must have cut some corners ,it's usually 35.0 miles. 70.31 MPG , which is about as good as it gets for my inbound commute.

Tank is at 505.6 miles , 71.05 MPG.

BillLin and puddleglum like this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Thanks Puddleglum.

I'm back from a week of minivan-ing with the family. 3300 miles from east Texas to Yellowstone and then back. Fascinating hot springs and geysers and stinking bubbly pools of sulfur-water. And a magnificent canyon and waterfalls. Absolutely stunning. It's a big wildlife preserve too, and we saw herds of bison, plus one in the campground between the tents, saw an elk, a mama bear with cubs, three moose, etc.

The new 2014 Odyssey did well.

• It gets a legitimate 28 mpg on the flat road with cruise at 70mph, 6 people plus a week of camping gear. Overall the trip cam in around 26 mpg including mountains.

• The lane departure warning is moronic and way too sensitive, especially on a 2-lane road. I ride over to the right to keep my distance from oncoming traffic, and it beeps at me for that.

• The seats are ok except the headrests which are stupidly angled forward. My back and neck will take a while to recover from that. Not a huge fan of leather, it gets sweaty too easily. Oh, and the lower cushion bolsters are too tight. It's fine in the butt area but the front corners constrict my knees from spreading out, which I do to fit my long legs into most cars. (6'2" 188cm)
    • The onboard mpg gauge maxes out at 150 mpg, same as the Fit and the old Insight. I don't know why. I found this coming down a mountain pass. ;)
    • The 6-speed transmission has positions for 4th and 2nd gear, but it really needs 3rd in the mountains. My brakes got toasty holding it back in 4th.

68.8 mpg / 5.5 to work this morning.
    Tank 50.2 / 364, right on 1/2.

TheFordFamily, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

RE: Odyssey - impressive!

5. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

thanks for starting the thread puddlegum, made it sticky! I'm still on vacation in North Yorkshire, UK. Lots of numbers to report and a fill-up but they will have to come later!

TheFordFamily, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  6. puddleglum

A rather cold windy day here for the first of August. 55.5 mpg - 9 miles to work and home.

Tank showing 56.1 - 326 miles.

BillLin likes this.
  7. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

It won't automatically downshift to 3rd as needed when you're braking on a long downgrade? Seems they would've thought of that.

BillLin likes this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 65.5 deg F , wind S2. 35.0 miles , 70.12 MPG. Tank is at 574.7 miles , 71.05 MPG. Going into the city after work today , which means highway to get home , which means tank will drop a bit. Three pips still remain , so I'll see what I can do. I'm glad the new Odyssey worked so well for you , Andrew. Hondas have always impressed me, and I've had a few.

TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  9. PaleMelanesian

No it doesn't automatically downshift on a downgrade. They've solved this in the new model with full paddle shifters.

54.7 / 5.4 - home last night
    58.5 / 4.3 - this morning in the rain. I can't complain.

Tank is up to 50.6 / 384 mi, just below 1/2.

BillLin likes this.
  10. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

surprising that there is no gate shifter that allows you to select any gear down to 2nd. :0|, but decent numbers for a family hauler loaded down.
    Pushed the car out on Saturday so I could get the lawnmower out. Then afterward, pushed it back in (burning my hand a little on the hot plastic on the B piller. Toasty. Added 1 oz of fuel stabilizer to the tank and rocked the car back and forth a little to mix it up. I will need to take it for a spin so I can get that fuel with the additive to the injectors.

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 67.5 deg F , wind NE4 (headwind). 35.0 miles , 69.19 MPG. Tank is at 656.0 miles , 70.96 MPG.

I did a dumb thing yesterday. I went on a date with this girl , we met at a bar in Harwood Heights, about 10 miles from work.
    When I got there , the fcd read about 79MPG(73 actual) for the trip. The date went well , that wasn't the dumb part.
    When I got back in the car 2.5 hrs later , I found I had left it in ready mode with climate control ON (fan only).
    The fcd had dropped from 79 to 55. OUCH ! But with a lot of struggle (time) I brought the trip back up to 71(actual) for 46 miles.

One pip remaining, will probably fill up Friday AM.

12. PaleMelanesian

Oops Edwin!

It was rainy yesterday. It cleared up for my commute home but was still a cool 83F.
    56.3 / 5.3 - home
    63.1 / 5.2 - work this morning, 77F

Tank is up to 50.8 / 397 mi.
    F____|/___E

Gord and BillLin like this.
  13. TheFordFamily

TheFordFamily Well-Known Member

Down from last fill-up :(

520.3 Miles
    11.373 Gallons
    45.75 MPG

14. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today 56.5 deg F , wind W13. 35.1 miles , 66.49 MPG. Filled up on the way in. The Midwest's finest E10 corn squeezin's was on sale for $2.279 per. 694.5 miles/9.646 gallons = 72.00 MPG ? I suspect the pump shut off a bit early. Fcd = 75.9 MPG.

It all evens out , anyway. Tonight , scenic route home , stop at Two Bros Taphouse. Get home eventually. It's great to be unsupervised , ya know ?

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  15. PaleMelanesian

Had to stop on the way home for dog food. Having some trouble with low battery. I had to roll bump-start it both leaving work and leaving the store, and leave it idling at some red lights. On the charger overnight so it was fine this morning.

46.9 / 2.5 - to store
    51.2 / 5.5 - home

62.8 / 4.4 - work this morning

Tank is up to 50.9 / 407 mi.
    F____|/___E

16. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

:eek:;)

17. puddleglum

That's about where they start issuing heat advisories here. LOL

That's no fun. Too much EOC with the wipers on in the rain, or is the battery just getting weak?

PaleMelanesian, Gord and BillLin like this.
  18. puddleglum

You're still doing a lot better than most and easier to beat next time. ;)

Gord, TheFordFamily and BillLin like this.
  19. puddleglum

Not a lot of driving this week. Commute on Wednesday included thick fog in the morning and a trip to Wal-Mart after work. 51.2 mpg - 10 miles.
    Road the bike Thursday and Friday.

Has a short run to the drug store today.
    46.7 mpg - 2.6 miles.
    Don't like those trips where engine never gets warm.

BillLin likes this.
  20. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Right! Here goes:

Up to North Yorkshire for a week away, first stop at a pub for lunch:
    50.7 / 93.2
    43.6 / 5.2

Various other trips before fill-up on Tuesday. Very hilly terrain as you can probably tell by the numbers!
    56.0 / 9.6 To pub for middle daughter's 20th birthday lunch
    31.1 / 3.7
    51.0 / 4.9
    38.3 / 9.9
    70.7 / 6.5 To Whitby Abbey :cool:
    24.8 / 1.5 Very steep down from Abbey then steep uphill to Fill-up :(

Tank Stats

Miles on tank: 619.0 miles
    GallsUS: 12.76
    Calc. MPG : 48.52 MPG
    Calc. Range: 40.0 miles (allowing for extra in tank)
    FCD Range: 20
    FCD MPG : 49.63 MPG (2.79% over-report)
    UG MPG : 56.65 MPG (2.79% under-report)
    No. of trips: 30
    Average trip length: 20.6
    Average speed 28mph
    Driving time on tank: 21hrs 47mins
    Days since last fill: 32
    Commuting: 69.3%
    Ave. Temperature: 63.9°F
    Ave. no. of people in car: 2.46
    Pmpg for the tank: 119.4

Average over-report is down to 5.46% so I'll use this for next tank.

More trips while away:
    33.3 / 3.7 Fill-up back uphill to holiday cottage
    50.8 / 13.1 To Scarborough
    39.6 / 13.2 Back from Scarborough
    55.1 / 4.9 Down to Whitby Abbey
    30.4 / 5.2 Steep back up
    53.3 / 3.8 Down to a farm, too steep for all DFCO, needed brakes! :eek:
    27.7 / 3.8 Very steep back up
    49.1 / 98.4 Home

puddleglum and BillLin like this.