2016 Kia Soul EV + Review

Discussion in 'Kia' started by xcel, Sep 23, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

FB_IMG_1474637736463.jpg
    Today's "Hat of the Day" belongs to #Kia and their 2016 #Soul EV +.

This is a high end trim offering at &35,950 with not only the 27 kWh pack and 81.4 kW motor good for 93 miles of all-electric range but also includes the following:

16" alloys
    F&R park assist sensors
    Auto wipers
    Heated pwr folding side view mirrors
    Rear view camera
    CHAdeMO Level3 charging port electric HVAC incl.a heat pump
    8" display and NAV
    Leather all around
    Heated and cooled front seats, heated outboard rear seats
    Proximity key

Adding to the pkg., an $1,100 sunroof w/ interior LEDs and light pipes speaker surrounds, and mats ($125). D&H of $850 brings about a grand total of $38,025.

I have not completed a price report of the Soul EV but I am sure it can be picked up for a lot less than this before the $7,500 Fed tax credit for those that qualify and the state deals in the areas in which it is sold. Given the Bolt range and pricing, I am sure Kia will be making the proper adjustments.

FB_IMG_1474637746162.jpg
    About its 93 mile range. Around town, > 6 mi/kWh is easy to achieve. Out on the highway with speeds from 50 to 60 mph, 4.5 mi/kWh can be expected. Both are well above the 3.2 mi/kWh EPA equivalent rating. We consumed 79 percent of the pack over a 106.1 mile highway drive so 125 to 130 should be pretty easy to achieve in decent temps if you take it easy on the go pedal when traveling down the Interstate. More around town of course.

Charging? Well that is indeed a problem.

The local Kia dealer does not have a Level2 so they are out. The local VW dealers Chargepoint based Level2 was OOS.

FB_IMG_1474637767571.jpg

The local SDG&E Level2 is private and gate secured. The local Ford dealer has 4 Level2s and they parked all of their new cars in such a way you could not park and plug-in. The local Nissan dealerships Level3 CHAdeMO is an EV Go controlled unit. Meaning not in the Chargepoint network so my key card would not work.

FB_IMG_1474637759041.jpg

I called and they wanted $9.95 for 30 minutes. That is the equivalent of $$10 for ~ 70 miles of range or paying on a cents/mile basis the equivalent of 17 mpg with $2.50/gallon gasoline. That is way beyond acceptable. I ended up at a Chevrolet dealership after another 11 miles of searching. I had to wait 30 minutes for the dealership Volt that had completed charging to be moved so I could use the single 3kW Level2 to drive home. After an hour and a half, SoC went from 14 to 35 percent. :(

FB_IMG_1474637775236.jpg
    This was not a fun day...

#Efficient #long #distance #traveler - #CleanMPG

BillLin likes this.
  2. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I think that should be mi / kWh. 6 kWh / mi won't get you very far on a 27 kWh battery ;)

xcel and RedylC94 like this.
  3. xcel

Hi Mike:

Thanks. Typed all of the above up on a smartphone. :(

Wayne

4. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Wow - not a fun time finding a charging station! Another typo: it was probably a V<b>W</b> dealer, right?

Were you using Plugshare to find the stations?

5. xcel

Hi Neil:

Both Plugshare and the onboard app.

I went back to the local Ford dealer - Ken Grody Ford in Carlsbad, Calif. three nights ago, plugged into a charger for just 1 kWh or so as I was close to full from the 21 hr. and 15 minute charge at home the night and day before.

[​IMG]
    This is a BEV reality... Bolt Charging from flat will take well over 60 hours on 110.​

A security team pulled up asked me to leave. So much for Plugshare...

[​IMG]

Wayne

6. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2016 Crosstrek, 2012 PiP, 2014 C-MAX Energi

:mad:

7. NeilBlanchard

Yes, that info should be listed on Plugshare - some dealers are really shortsighted. There is a Ford dealer just south of Keene NH that hid their charger behind stacks of chargers - but I was desperate, and plugged in even though they were bugging me. Turned out, the Nissan dealer was closer than I thought, and I finished charging our e-Golf there - about 3+ hours, and they were friendly and helpful.

xcel likes this.
  8. xcel

Hi Neil:

It was a very frustrating week to put it lightly. Not so much with the Soul EV as it was comfortable, quiet and unique to drive given the upright body form factor.

The final 106 mile drive included some 70 mph stuff in the HOV Lane with Marian on board. At 70 mph, about 2.0 to 2.5 mi/kWh is all one should expect. Beginning at 24 miles of AER, a notification popped up on the screen every mile stating would you like to find a local charging station. It overrode the NAVI voice directions and was generally a nuisance from that point forward.

IMG_20160930_121132.jpg

Charging it and from who was a huge Achilles heel leaving me to think long and hard before I can recommend a pure electric ever again.

The charging times, charging expense and total cost to purchase have to come down significantly to make a BEV viable in today's marketplace.

Wayne

9. NeilBlanchard

You seemed to have had the single worst experience I have heard about. If you already had a home charger (as you would essentially HAVE to if you owned an EV), then this is largely moot.

xcel likes this.
  10. BillLin

This difficulty finding public chargers in California really surprises me. How does one reconcile Wayne's experience with the general push for plug-in hybrids and EVs in California? Are there a majority of plug-in hybrids just for HOV lane use, running inefficiently (except for the Volt probably) on their gas engines? That's really a sad state of affairs.

I had no difficulty finding public (and free!) charging stations in my little city in MA, even a Nissan dealer with the CHAdeMO DC charger.

xcel likes this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

After seeing a Chrysler minivan parked in a Supercharger ( Aurora IL ) , I believe that only a fool would buy a BEV and EXPECT to use public charging.

Charge at home !

xcel likes this.
  12. BillLin

While I agree with you somewhat, I think they ought to start towing parking violators in these situations. These violators deserve parking tickets at the very least.

xcel likes this.