My Local Shell dumped 87 E-0 for 89 E-0...

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by JonNC, Mar 31, 2016.

1. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

Now what do I do?
    I actually noticed that it was 89 E-0 about 7 gallons in o_O:oops::confused:.
    So far this tank is going well enough as things warm up.
    Consulting my spreadsheet, this tank is doing a little better than the previous fill, at this time of year, with approx. the same city %, on 87 E-0, and definitely better that the previous fills this time of year going back to 2011.
    If it doesn't cause harm to the engine or cause overall consumption to increase, I'll just stick with it.

But the $0.50 premium over 87 is kind of painful...............

xcel likes this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jon:

Pricing hurts but the Octane will not. Sorry about the price up. :(

Wayne

JonNC likes this.
  3. JonNC

I'm going to Google Map my area and start calling all the stations that aren't too much out of my way.
    Maybe someone else will have E-0 87.
    Which sucks because I've been going to that particular Shell since it was a Texico.
    :(

xcel likes this.
  4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

08EscapeHybrid likes this.
  5. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Yeah, pure-gas is a good resource. If I'm planning a trip out of town I try to plan my fuel stops ahead of time, and I always call stations I've never been to before. Confirm E0 availability, pricing, and other stuff... Some E0 stations are cash only. Some may have E0 at a separate pump, so even if the station is 24 hour pay at the pump, you may be restricted to their convenience store hours for E0.

6. One station with E0 near me wouldnt let me fill up in the car. They said it was a law that it was for off road use only. I haven't been able to find that law anywhere and the only time I've ever seen it in print was from them, something they typed out on their own. Went to the same station a couple weeks later. Said I'll take $20 on pump 9 please (the pre pay e0 pump) they took my money and said thanks. Go figure

xcel likes this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I got nothin'. E0 is only a dim , fond memory.

xcel likes this.
  8. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Same. Our only E0 station was bought out several years ago. It was fairly far out of the way for any place I go anyway.

But seeing this, I should search for any stations serving O'Doul's 87 :D I have a radically different commute now, and would be really interested in churning a few tanks through.

xcel likes this.
  9. JonNC

Well, a strange update.
    When I drove by this station on the way home earlier this week, it was being rebranded................

As a BP.

[​IMG]

I'll have to call and see if they still have anything in E-0....................

xcel likes this.
  10. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I never buy fuel containing ethanol ;)

xcel likes this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

And if you were to put any kind of gasoline in your tank , your engine would have a giant fit , pretty much the end of the ( engine's) world.

xcel likes this.
  12. JonNC

I finally got around to calling the "new" BP and............

YES, they still have E-0!!!
    I'll be filling up on Sat.

Let's see how long this lasts.

08EscapeHybrid and xcel like this.
  13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I'm lucky to have a retailer in my area that sells all three grades E-0. No ethanol contamination in any of their gasoline. I spent the winter in Tucson, however, and no E-0 to be found anywhere.

08EscapeHybrid and xcel like this.
  14. JonNC

The good news:

[​IMG]

I get my very own nozzle!

Better news? I can easily maintain a one gallon per minute flow rate (half that of the old pumps).

Bad news? When a jackass takes off full throttle in his quad cab dually diesel and you can't hear the gas overflowing for a few seconds. Therefore I can fill slow, but it doesn't cut off automatically at that slow of flow rate.

I'll have to keep a better eye on things next time...

15. alster

alster Well-Known Member

I thought Ethanol was the wonder fuel, according to the U.S. Government. Ethanol in gasoline is
    what the government has mandated, or another way to put it forced it down our throats.

Well lets see now: When the EPA is conducting their EPA mpg testing their protocol is to use 0% ethanol
    in Regular or Premium, Yes you heard that right 0% Ethanol. Such a great thing this ethanol but the EPA figures
    don't use it when testing vehicles even though 95% of all gasoline sold in the US has at least 10% ethanol blended with
    the fuel, be it regular 87 octane or premium 91 octane or above. Mid grade of course is a blend of both regular and premium.

16. EdwinTheMagnificent

Good thing I never expect our gub'mint to be logical or congruent. I'm never disappointed.

JonNC likes this.