2017 Honda Civic Hatch

Discussion in 'Honda' started by xcel, Mar 1, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] A looker in no uncertain terms!

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Mar. 1, 2016

2017 Honda Civic Hatch shows its face in Geneva. We will not be receiving the turbo diesel. :(

The 10th Gen Civic hatch prototype was the focus of Honda’s activity at Geneva, following one of its busiest periods of new product introduction in 2015.

The new prototype previews the 10th generation Civic hatchback, set for a European launch in early 2017. To be built at Honda’s flagship European manufacturing facility in UK, the prototype promises provocative design, assertive dynamics and a range of all-new turbo gasoline engines, aimed at the core of the European compact segment.

During today’s press conference, Honda highlighted the renewed confidence within the European business following the launch of new Jazz, HR-V & Civic Type R in 2015. With over 18,000 orders across Europe for these vehicles, Honda is confident that 2016 volumes will reach 160,000 units. This is an expected increase of 17 percent compared to 2015, and a significant step towards its long-term goal of 200,000 annual European sales.

A Distinctive Civic

The all-new Civic hatchback will be 1.2” wider, .8 inches lower 5.2 inches longer than the current generation. New larger and wider wheels and tires, a longer wheelbase, short overhangs and sleek cabin area further add to the dynamic look.

At the front of the car, a short overhang with large air intakes presents a sharp and aggressive interpretation of Honda’s family face. LED headlights and daytime running lights flow from beneath the boldly sculpted bonnet into accentuated wheel arches.

2017 Honda Civic Hatch

[​IMG]

The sleek and swept-back body lines continue along the side of the car with a swage line that incorporates front and rear door handles before culminating in the distinctive C-shaped LED rear lights. A second, lower character line extends from behind the front wheels up through the doors and meets the rear wheel arches, emphasizing the car’s dynamic forward-leaning stance. At the rear, the bumper incorporates angular creases and vents, designed to echo the aggressively styled nature of the rest of the car.

New Turbocharged Drivetrains

The all-new Civic Hatchback will feature three powertrain options in Europe: A 1.0L and 1.5L VTEC TURBO gasoline engines, and a revised 1.6L i-DTEC turbo diesel unit. Civic will be the first European model to feature the two all-new gasoline engines.

The all-new engines are part of Honda’s growing Earth Dreams Technology range and aim to deliver a combination of dynamic performance, a class-leading output for their displacement and excellent fuel economy.

Based on a completely new engine structure and harnessing newly developed turbo systems, the petrol engines feature variable valve motion technology to reduce friction and achieve class-leading output and environmental performance. A turbocharger with a low moment of inertia and high responsiveness, together with direct injection technology seek to achieve an optimum balance between high output and torque, above those of conventional naturally-aspirated engines.

A revised version of Honda’s popular and efficient 1.6L i-DTEC diesel engine - unique to European Honda vehicles– will be offered alongside the two new gasoline engines. The common rail turbo-diesel unit incorporates extensive technologies that reduce friction, improve emissions and increase fuel economy. The engine features a small, high-efficiency turbocharger, low-pressure EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system and a high-intake flow, high-swirl cylinder head port. A new high-strength, lightweight slender crankshaft and all-aluminum, open-deck, high-pressure, die-cast engine block makes the unit lightweight while ensuring high levels of durability.

10th generation Civic hatchback will be built exclusively in Europe and exported globally

Honda’s European production facility, Honda of the UK Manufacturing (HUM), will become the global production hub for the 10th generation Civic hatchback. Honda has confirmed investment of almost $300 million USD in new production technologies and processes to prepare for the new model, which will be exported around the world, including the US. The investment is part of a long-term vision for the European plant in Honda’s global operations.

2017 Honda Civic Hatch

[​IMG]

Jay and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

What a surprise. The same engine that Honda has been promising we would get since , what , 2009 ? I can understand it.

Also , I'm guessing IF we get this car, it will have the 1.5T engine. And it better have the 6MT , dammit !

Jay and xcel like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Constantly getting bigger; still same vehicle class I take it. :) Rear fascia is too busy for my tastes. I do like the profile and hatch. The back section reminds me of the Crosstour. (not necessarily a good thing)

xcel likes this.
  4. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

It looks so close to the sedan. Sedan looks like a liftback so they could have saved 1 model by making it one.

xcel likes this.
  5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Needs more hatchback in it. This is almost a liftback sedan. It matches what the Civic hatch has been over there for a while now, so it's unsurprising.

Make it just a little longer. Make the back end square(ish) so you have useful cargo space. I'd buy one. I've had a Civic and now drive a Fit. I'd buy one. Oh, and manual transmission required. Otherwise I'd already have a TSX wagon.

xcel likes this.
  6. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

I agree with Andrew, they really made this to be more like a liftback sedan rather than a hatchback. This could possibly severely limit its hauling capacity. Only time will tell.

xcel likes this.
  7. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Granted, they would not be the only one limiting the usefulness of a hatchback. They just seem to be taking it to an extreme.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

xcel likes this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Hyundai has determined that compact buyers want "pizazz" , WTF THAT is. And Honda doesn't have the courage to give us a dignified design( except for Accord) , so they go down the Hyundai road.

xcel likes this.
  9. PaleMelanesian

Oh, I would LOVE a new Elantra Touring. The old touring was just the perfect size and shape, with a mediocre drivetrain. The new GT has a great drivetrain but a compromised body. Just put the other parts together and it's a winner.

Same story with Mazda and their 5. If they made one with the new Skyactiv drivetrain I'd probably be driving one. But instead they killed it. It wasn't enough better than the full-size vans to make up for the size loss, when a new version would be. It didn't have a fair chance.

xcel likes this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

In Europe , there is no shortage of station wagons ( estates) . A hatchback doesn't need to have the same utility. This hatchback is designed for them , not US. They have lots of choices. We'll get whatever they get as far as a hatchback , and be damned glad to have that choice.

xcel likes this.
  11. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

The current Civic hatch does well compared to its competitors for cargo space, even with a more extreme rear window rake than most. It's the rear headroom that suffers, indicating that it's probably a longer but less tall cargo area, more similar to a liftback sedan.

Give me a 1.5T and manual, and let me add some options without being forced to get the CVT. I'd strongly consider one, my Golf is probably going to need new tires and brakes within the next 18 months, and that's money I'd rather put towards paying for a new car. I'd prefer the 1.6TD, but know that will never happen.

xcel likes this.
  12. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Mike,
    I'll believe it when I see it. Considering we haven't seen a Civic Hatch for a long time here and we do not have the current specs on this one, I just do not see it being as useful as many may have hoped. It is one thing to say it has a lot of cargo space, but it is another for it to be actually useful space.

xcel likes this.
  13. PaleMelanesian

Despite my complaining above, Mike is likely right. That's how it worked with the Mazda. It's a little tight for tall cargo, but has plenty of long/wide space available.

xcel likes this.
  14. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I think the battle for no-BS wagons and hatches was truly lost when Volvo "The Boxy Wagon Company" revealed the new V90 with exactly the same rear end treatment.

VolvoV90.jpeg

Granted any hatch, wagon or liftback will be more versatile than its sedan counterpart simply because of the big rear door so these cars aren't completely pointless. That particular Civic is a way over-styled for my taste but the packaging appeals to me overall.

xcel likes this.
  15. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I like the looks of the new Civic hatch.

The V90 reminds me of the 1800. Plus it's going to have a big problem, the MSRP, that I'm betting, starts north of $50K and the Hybrid version north of $60K based on the power train alone. Another Rich Man's hybrid. :(

The V90 shares the powertrains with the XC90 SUV and S90 sedan. So, only four-cylinder motors are available, with the top of the line offering being the T8 Twin Engine hybrid version with a turbocharged, supercharged 2.0-liter combined with an electric motor and delivering a total output of 407 horsepower (299 kilowatts) and 472 pound-feet (640 Newton meters) of torque. It will have a 9.2-kWh lithium-ion battery pack, with the all-wheel-drive V90 T8 Twin Engine able to run on electricity alone for more than 28 miles (45 km). Performances is also respectable: 62 miles (100 kilometers) per hour are reached in 5.2 seconds while keeping fuel consumption at just 2.1 liters / 100 km (112 miles per gallon).

xcel likes this.
  16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I like the hatch and hats off to Honda. I think they've knocked it out of the park and it will be a huge seller for them. It looks so much better than the sedan and coupe with the front chrome blacked out and the exhaust showing in the back. It's the best iteration of the new Civics. I'm concerned about quality control. Honda has already had a disastrous recall of the Canadian-made 2L engine for mis-set or missing piston pin clips. I wouldn't worry if the hatch were made in Japan, but England? The English don't exactly have a sterling rep for quality control.

17. EdwinTheMagnificent

My co-worker has a Civic Si made in England , and he's had pretty good luck with it. It might be a 2002 , not sure , but they only sold that one here for a few years.

Jay likes this.
  18. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Jay,

Remember, this is just a rendering. I would be surprised to see the exact iteration on the street unless in Si or R-Type form. Too many car companies have done this one to bring out something that was a little more ho-hum, so to speak.

As far as quality control, I am starting to wonder if they rushed this design. The Touring models are having major issues with their infotainment system according to the forums. The 2.0 already being recalled.

19. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

civic.png
    random image off the web, from the Geneva Auto Show

20. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

If they do make something very similar to that it will be a hit with the younger generation for sure. I guess only time will tell. We have seen stuff like this before and when they finally come out with the final design it is usually tamed down. Looking at this one, the lips and side skirts could easily be removed and the exhaust moved over. I would think that the rest of it will make to actual production.

It is definitely a change from their hatches of yesteryear that we used to have.

BillLin likes this.