New 2017 Ford Fusion

Discussion in 'Ford' started by xcel, Jan 18, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Better looking and possibly more efficient.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 11, 2016

2017 Ford Fusion - HEV and PHEV pricing and efficiency details will be announced closer to launch.

At this years #NAIAS, Ford introduced their new 2017 Fusion midsize sedan, the most technologically ladened offering ever released.

Within our #NAIAS Detroit’s 2016 North American International Auto Show coverage, we had the opportunity to look over the 2017 Ford Fusion. My commentary came down to this.
    A V6 Sport and new Platinum trim go along with three EcoBoost engine choices and of course the two we are interested in, the HEV and PHEV.

Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi PHEV

New Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi PHEV incorporate new software to delivers a more refined drive while more efficient electric motors are expected to contribute to better fuel economy.

The Platinum trim with the 2.0L EcoBoost and AWD gain new instruments, door trim panels are wrapped in antiqued Cocoa leather, and the hand-wrapped steering wheel is finished in premium Venetian leather. A unique grille finished in Magnetic paint makes for an upscale design and 19-inch polished wheels return confident performance.

2017 Ford Fusion

[​IMG]
    Sport trim shown.​

Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi PHEV offer an even more advanced EcoGuide system to provide drivers real-time feedback to improve efficiency. The Fusion Energi PHEV features a 7.6 kWh Li-Ion pack for an expected 19 miles of all-electric range. The car automatically switches to its 2.0L gas engine as a full hybrid when the battery is depleted, allowing more than 500 total miles of range.

Recharging the PHEV can be done overnight in 2.5 hours on a level2 thanks to the onboard 3.6 kW charger. The car can be programmed to begin charging when electricity is at the lowest price as well. It can even preheat or precool the cabin before drivers leave to save more fuel.

2017 Ford Fusion

[​IMG]
    Sport trim shown.​

Both electrified Fusions deliver impressive overall performance with electric-only speeds up to 85 mph. Regenerative braking captures up to 95 percent of the energy lost through heat during braking and recharges the hybrid battery on the move.

The 2017 Fusion will be the company’s first car sold in North America to include an optional pedestrian detection system. Fusion also has hands-free parallel and perpendicular parking capability. The new high-tech gear shift dial results in a roomier cabin with easy-to-reach bins.

Lane-keeping assist uses a small, forward-facing camera behind the rearview mirror that “looks” at the road ahead monitoring lane lines to ensure the car is on course.

Available Blind Spot Information System with cross-traffic alert includes sensors in the car’s rear quarter-panels that can detect traffic in a driver’s blind spot, providing both audible and visual warnings if traffic is detected. BLIS enables cross-traffic alert, warning the driver of oncoming traffic when backing out of a parking space with obstructed views. In combination with the standard rearview camera, BLIS makes for confident maneuvering in parking lots.

2017 Ford Fusion

[​IMG]
    Sport trim shown.​

SYNC 3, Ford’s latest communications and entertainment system, is also available. It features faster performance, more conversational voice recognition, a more intuitive smartphone-like touch screen and easier-to-understand graphical interface. SYNC Connect, optional with SYNC 3, enables owners to remotely start their car, schedule future starts, or lock and unlock the car using their smartphone.

I hope SYNC 3 works as intended but it is the new more efficient motors within the HEV/PHEV that has me the most interested. ;)

2017 Ford Fusion

[​IMG]

The new Fusion arrives at Ford dealerships this summer.

2. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Great looking cars, but the cabin feels really tight for us bigger guys. I do love there sound dampening. They make some of the quietest affordable vehicles out there.

xcel likes this.
  3. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

Odd that the 6.6kW charger takes 2.5 hours to charge a 7.6kWh battery? 19 miles AER for a 7.6kWh battery seems pretty low.

xcel likes this.
  4. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

The neat thing I just realized about the FFH is that you get split/folding rear seats despite the battery in the trunk. That's been my biggest gripe about hybrid sedans for a while...not sure how I missed it on this one. I'm always shoving 8' lengths of whatever through my ski pass-through.

xcel and PaleMelanesian like this.
  5. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Do you know about the rear window trick for long sticks of building materials? Lower the rear passengerside window slide the 2x4 (or similar) through the open window then between the front seat and door pillar then into the passenger side floor pan- works well for up to 10' sticks in most cars. In many (most?) cases it's much easier than folding split seats and makes the guard at the lumber yard smile.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    xcel likes this.
  6. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

If the front passenger seat still folds flat you have even more room :)

7. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

That's good for shorter (6'ish) wider materials, but I don't like the angle across the seatback for longer stuff because then then it sticks out the window wide enough to mow down bicyclists and pedestrians. Maybe you didn't realize that we're sliding it into the front seat floor pan though?

xcel likes this.
  8. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Hey, that's not a bad idea. The only hiccup on my car is that I don't think the rear window glass slides all the way down. I bet it would be OK for small quantities of lighter stuff like PVC or trim or whatever. I normally carry a nylon tie-down in case I need to let longer stuff poke out the back but it can be a royal PITA to get the trunk lid secured.

xcel likes this.
  9. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Trailer.

It's changed the way I handle these situations. Even a tiny utility trailer can do more than the best car/wagon/van.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  10. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

That's a pretty powerful charger to put on a smallish battery, but I'm sure the charge current tapers to not cook the battery once it gets past half full. It's also true of the DC fast chargers. Sure, 20 minutes to half an hour to get a substantial boost, but it'll take a lot longer to fill the rest. Even the pip connected to 120V EVSE tapers toward the end.

re: EV range - Well, that's just the EPA rating, right? Depending on the driver and conditions, probably 25-30 miles for normal, light-footed people and perhaps even more for some freaks of nature in this community. :)

Cheers,
    Bill

p.s. other thought; perhaps old info from 3.3kW charger was retained?...

xcel likes this.
  11. xcel

Hi Carl and Bill:

I checked to make sure what Ford was releasing and they are still saying a 6.6 kW charger. They pulled it so a more std. 3.6kW charger taking 2.5 hours makes a heck of a lot more sense.

Or I am just stupid? ;)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  12. waltermlee

waltermlee Well-Known Member

Fusion Hybrid is one of the better highway hybrid.

13. xcel

Hi All:

More on the 2017 Ford Fusion Energi…

From the April 2016 Ford sales report, Ford April 2016 Sales Up 4.0% with 231,316 Vehicles Sold, Fusion Energi (PHEV) sales of 1,331, was up 87.2 percent and was ranked as the #2 selling PHEV/BEV in April – Tesla notwithstanding as they do not report monthly sales.

2017 Ford Fusion Energi PHEV-21

[​IMG]

Year-to-date sales through April of 4,082 were up 58.4 percent over the 2,577 sold through the same period of 2015.

[​IMG]

Ford is investing $4.5 billion to add 13 new PHEVs to its product offerings by 2020 and more than 40 percent of Ford’s nameplates globally will be electrified by the end of this decade. In other words, expect a Focus, and Escape PHEV to be announced in the not too distant future. ;)

[​IMG]

Based on the 2017 Ford Fusion Energi’s EPA combined rating of 42 mpg (43/41/42 mpg city/hwy/combined), its 14 gallon fuel tank capacity and its 21 mile AER, a total range of some 609 miles results. This beats out the Hyundai Sonata PHEV-27 by 1 total mile giving it the highest combined range of any PHEV sold in America. Ford stated it achieved the 60 miles longer range over the 2016 variant with powertrain software and regenerative braking tweaks.

The Fusion Energi is now on sale at dealerships nationwide. :)

Wayne

BillLin likes this.