anyone notice increase in oil consumption toward end 12 months

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by phoebeisis, Dec 30, 2015.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Just change the Prius oil
    I do it once a year-
    Mobil 1 5w30 EXTENDED SERVICE
    7400 MILES 12 months
    I only got about 2.5 qts out-it took 3.5 qts-at an unfavorable angle-driveway-so 1/2 qt retained
    meaning it had just 3 qts left-of the 4 qts
    Pretty sure I had added 1/2 qt maybe 3 months ago

My point I think it used perhaps 1.5 qts over 7400 miles-but maybe 1 qt the last 2500 miles.

Anyone notice increased consumption as the oil ages
    All our trips are short-rarely more than 10 miles-
    and many many in the 4 mile range
    Thanks
    Charlie

2. alster

alster Well-Known Member

We have a 2010 Prius. Purchased new in May 2009. Current odometer reading is a little over 135,000 miles. I do my own oil change every 10,000 miles. I use Mobil One 0w20 weight
    100% synthetic motor oil and use 4 quarts exactly per oil change. Oil filter is factory Toyota. When I change the oil after 10,000 miles nearly 4 quarts of oil drain out. The rest is probably in the filter area etc, probably at most 4-6 ounces or so.

3. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Mine has 55K miles on it and still uses zero oil between biannual oil changes.
    I use Toyota 0W20

4. phoebeisis

Alster-
    ALS
    Thanks.
    I hadn't noticed any appreciable use before
    I will check the oil monthly-and document it
    Draining nose up-caused some retention-
    but I am pretty sure it lost/used 1.5 qts in 12 months 7400 miles-
    Those 7400 miles-1000-1500 cold engine starts trips
    Just looked-no leak-but I will check that carefully also

Slight aside- at what oil level 1.5 qts 2 qts 2.5 qts 3.0 qts will the oil pressure idiot light alert??
    Any idea?? Assume relatively easy driving-no hard acceleration-rarely over 70 mph
    I don't drive the Prius much-
    if I did I would monitor it the way I monitor the ancient SUV(which doesn't leak oil-but not enough to make any DX or repair effort-suspect it is oil pan -plastic cam chain cover junction

Thanks guys-your results-are what mine used to be

I did notice that I had 2 oil drain bolt gaskets on it-one aluminum and one copper
    That wouldn't have been an accident-probably because the aluminum one is a bit large-not sure exactly what my thinking was-probably just a "tinker"
    and yes Yes I reuse them-yes I need to get some genuine Toyota gaskets
    This might have caused an imperceptible drip-
    I'll clean the area carefully-and see what happens
    The double metal sealing gaskets-not one of my better ideas

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

@phoebeisis :

At the next oil change check the diptstick on level ground, too many variables with measuring drained oil. The drain bolt being at the back edge of the oil pan, if the car is anywhere between level and tilting back, all the oil that can drain will drain. Also, I've found the Toyota drain bolt, with it's plasticized coating, is VERY prone to stick to the oil pan. What I'll do is back out the drain bolt a few turns, then break the washer loose with a screwdriver blade and hammer.

I'm on the Canadian schedule: 6 months or 8000 km's (5000 miles). With our low use 6 months invariably governs, so I'm changing oil every 5000~6000 km. I put in 4.2 liters at oil change, and at nearly 60,000 km's on the odometer there's still virtually zero oil consumption: the level on the dipstick doesn't budge between changes. This is unusual for me, over the years our various Hondas would typically drop at least a cup between changes.

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I haven't changed the oil in the Prius yet (personally) , but my Civics were "supposed" to use an aluminum washer on the drain plug. When I bought the Civic Si in 1989 , I made about 15 or 20 nylon washers , thicker than the alum ( to be stronger). After changing the oil on that car FIFTY times , I was still using the original Edwin-made nylon washer. Never leaked, never broke.

The Prius didn't appear to use any oil in the first 10K miles. I'm at 15K now.

7. ALS

An Update,

I just got back from the dealer for my winter tire change over and an oil change. According to my copy of the order they filled it with Mobil 0-20, no idea which, the Super, Mobil 1 or the Mobil 1 extended performance. Either way all three oils are outstanding and I have no problem with which ever one they used.

8. phoebeisis

Mendel
    AL
    Edwin Magnifico
    Thanks for your input.
    Until this change I hadn't notice any use/loss to speak of.
    I will monitor it closely-every couple of weeks-and keep good records-we'll see
    I will also eyeball the bolt-double washer "joint" to see if there is a slight drip-
    3 cc per day over a year
    wouldn't look like much-

ALS I noticed a former Penn resident-Philly(used to live there when I was a kid)
    Bill Cosby-was indicted today.
    I liked him in I Spy- not much in anything else
    "Your QB" Rapers-burger had to good sense to adequately buy off his accuser

Just kidding-
    My crosman benjamin 1377 pistol arrived 2 weeks ago
    what a kick!! I shoot it in the hallway-into phone book-backed by box of newspapers
    Cats and Arty Locked out of course
    fun and cheap(I re-use the lead free pellets-they are hard enough so they rarely deform-except when I stack them) yeah the accuracy is a bit less on 2nd and 3rd use
    but I'm cheap-so...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

High engine oil consumption, often sudden enough to catch owners by surprise after a long period of very low consumption, has become a fairly common complaint on Priuschat.com. Causes are unclear so far---as is whether it's really more common than on the average modern car at similar mileage, under similar conditions of usage and maintenance.

10. phoebeisis

Redy
    Hmmm-
    Yes this was the first time I noticed it-done 10 or so oil changes on it-this was the first one where it used significant oil-
    1.5 qts-and perhaps 1 qt last 3000 miles
    Not High by manufacturer standards
    but much higher than previous barely perceptible use
    Thanks
    Charlie
    PS Checked it this am- 5mm above full.
    I will leave it like that-and record once a week
    There is a HINT of oil around the drain screw-but that is probably from the draining yesterday-I Simple greened blasted-then hose blasted it
    Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  11. Mendel Leisk

@phoebeisis , is this a second gen Prius? What year?

12. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Could this be a PCV issue? In some cars (don't know about Toyotas) there's a diaphragm that regulates PCV flow, and a tear in that diaphragm exposes the crank case to much higher flow rates and vacuum levels. That can cause a lot more oil than normal to be sucked into the intake and burned.

13. Mendel Leisk

In my experience with pcv valves in Hondas, they're just a ball bearing held against an opening with spring. Once there's enough air pressure on the other side, it pushes the ball bearing, compressing the spring, and air flows past.

14. ALS

If it wasn't Charlie I would suspect (Prius Chat Members) that is was more of a speed issue (high RPMS). I would replace the PCV valve and see if that fixes the problem. The speed issue, I've seen in my Volvo, higher than normal oil consumption on long trips. It loses two to three times the oil at 70 mph than at 65 mph.
    We're talking a quart each way to Fl and back at 70 mph, verses 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart round trip at 65 mph.

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Charlie would probably admit that the Prius was/is driven mostly by his son. Teenagers ( anyone under 30) can and do find a way to break cars and computers. No offense, Charlie , my kids do it, too.

16. phoebeisis

Thanks all
    It is a 2006 2nd gen
    And yes my son -29 yo-does 99% of the driving
    He doesn't drive as gently as I do-plenty of gas-brake-gas-brake
    The PCV did cross my mind-going to get one-soon-
    It has 100,000 miles on it-
    the only maintenance
    Oil and filter changes- one air filter change-that is it
    Two "toyota paid for bad things"
    1) Inverter pump croaked-about 60,000 miles
    2) BP croaked-79,000 miles and just 44 days short of 8 years-lucked out
    original pcv plugs wires dist cap(if it has one-same story on rotor if it has one)-original brake pads
    I don't bring it to dealer for "however many mile checkups"
    The PCV and that double drain plug gasket-are my focus now-
    Not that 1.5 qts 7400 miles is excessive-or 1 qt 3400 miles-
    but it is more than it use-maybe 1/2 qt per year
    Thanks

17. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Is the PCV valve easy to reach as on a normal engine, or buried as on a 3rd-generation Prius? Does it rattle if you shake it? Mendel's probably correct---there's not much to go wrong there, unless it clogs. You can easily check for proper PCV flow at the intake, at least on normal engines. I'm betting the PCV is not the problem, but you're welcome to prove me wrong.

18. phoebeisis

Redy-
    2006 is 2nd Generation right??
    When I fix/replace "car stuff"
    I don't replace the high probability items first.
    #1 is ease of replacement-even more than cost of replacement-since modern vehicles
    #2 cost of replacement-along with "is it due for replacement"
    When my 98 suburban was coding-random mis-fire-running not great
    The PCV- $4 and extremely easy to change-was the first thing
    Didn't work of course.
    Moved on to Dist. cap rotor ($50 and 2 hours-yeah start to finish-putting tools away-2 freaking hours for what was once a 20 minute no tools job)
    It was the cap rotor

Redy-special thanks for the prius chat heads up-yep-LOTS of complaints about somewhat sudden increase in oil consumption-
    Nothing jumps out-but interesting
    My son-99% of the miles-used to do plenty of 20 mile trips- this last 7 months-most of his miles are much shorter-perhaps 5 miles on average-with plenty of time for complete cool down(2-3 hours)

What is the take on short trips??
    They should use more per mile-pistons not up to temp-not fully expanded??

Anyway the PCV valve $10 and eyeballing the double gasket will be my first "fixes"
    Thanks all

19. ecojeff84

ecojeff84 New Member

Drive a 2005 Prius with 232,000 miles and am burning about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. My commute is 65 miles highway each day and otherwise has been excellent car with only brakes (once), front bearings, and tires. Now has loud exhaust (rust due to WI Winters). Also have a Camry Hybrid and Chev Volt in our household but am planning for the end of life for the PII soon. Talked with another PII driver who said their battery cells died at 250K. Can't wait for Tesla to become used with high miles to be affordable or make it to Model 3. Will keep checking back to see if your PCV valve solves the issue as looking for oil sales in time consuming since I have been topping off the gas and filling the oil...

20. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

If that's the only moving component then you're probably right, this isn't a PCV thing (rather, not the fault of the PCV system). IIRC that valve is on the head, driver's side and easily accessible.