Quaker State Ultimate Durability

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by xcel, Dec 19, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

My sons GFs 08 Corolla needed an oil change and it gets nothing but the best. :)

Quaker State Ultimate Durability has a $10 off 5-qt on their website right now making this super oil a steal. Low kinematic viscosity and the ultimate engineered protection.

Actually we had to come back because the oil filter was cranked on and I needed a little help. :(

[​IMG]

Wayne

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Think of the melody called "Clementine"

Fix one thing
    And break another
    What a cluster
    Every time

Brii's last oil change was at a Pep Boys with bays here in Southern California.

Oil pan bolt? 16" breaker bar on a 3/8" ratchet. Dumb SOBs...

Drain the oil.

Filter? Strap wrench is slipping. Let's go buy a filter cap type wrench. That's stripping the edges. Anyone that has changed oil knows what comes next. Never ever ever ever F'in tighten an oil filter 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more once the gasket has seated for Chr**** sake!!! The expletives are flying now as I bust three bidy molding vlips to move yhe aer civer out if the way, hammer in a starter hole, let the oil drain from the filter some, hammer in my thickest screwdriver and spin the F***** about 3/16 of a turn. Hammer in another starter, hammer in the big screwdriver and spin it another 3/16 of a turn. Stll will not F***** budge. Hammer in another starter, hammer in my thick screw driver, giver her another 3/16 of a turn and finally she spins free... Damn!

Have to go back and buy three damned body molding clips now.

Install the new filter...

Try to open up the oil fill cap to add 4+ quarts. I cannot budge the cap. Go* Da**** SOB those Pep Boy Moth** Fu*****!!! Crescent wrench with a rubber cover so I do not mar the cap.

Fill, start the car for as few second to fill the filter, shut it down and check the level. Add oil to bring it to 7/8+ and call it good.

Drive to a local AutoZone for some clips, get home and install and then they are ready to hit the road.

F*** You to Hell Pep Boys!!!

[​IMG]

Thank goodness Quaker State Ultimate Durability has never let me down! :)

3. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Wayne,

When I first saw that FRAM packaging I thought you had put an ORANGE CAN of Death on your sons girl friends car.
    Then I realized it was just an oil filter wrench.

Al

xcel and 08EscapeHybrid like this.
  4. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Yeah, I used to use the "Orange can of death" when I was young and stupid, but now that I'm older, I know better.

xcel likes this.
  5. JonNC

JonNC Driving Smarter Since 06/07/2011

This is why I prefer to pay other people to do these things.
    If you always go to the same place, they get to work with their own mess. :D
    This way, my stress levels stay in check, they get to put food on the table and the job gets done!

xcel likes this.
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Fram's "best filter" now-ULTRA SYNTHETIC 15,000 MILES 24,000 KM XG4967 (prius)
    about $9+ at Wal
    is made in USA -
    and claims to be good for synthetic oil and long change intervals
    I use it on the Prius- with Mobil 1 5w30 extended serviced
    Anyway perhaps Fram's better "not made in china" filters deserve a new look
    Everyone has heard the tales of F filters coming apart and Grenading an engine-
    I have no idea how common that was-or wasn't
    Being a certified cheapskate-I must admit I used the orange $2.85 filters 25-35 or so years ago-
    engines didn't suffer- they came out in one piece(the filters-not the engine)
    I use the Toyota filters also now-with Mobil 1 5w30 extended service-once a year changes(cheap and lazy)
    The pricy Fram says
    Made in U.S.A
    Fabrique' aux E'.U. Brevet
    Hecho en E.U.A
    I go out of my way to buy Fabrique' aux E.U. Brevet as you canucks would say

xcel likes this.
  7. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I won't buy any Fram filter, no matter how good they claim it might be. I'll use OEM, Wix, or NAPA (made by Wix) Occasionally I have bought Mobil1 filters, but felt that they were really pricy.

xcel likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Never have problems taking off the oil filter, or the drain bolt. But I'm the guy torqueing them, follow the spec'd torque. Mechanics using air tools??

RedylC94 and xcel like this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'm with ya Mendel. I've seen horrible things those guys can do to your car. That said, I am letting the Toyota dealer do this for the first 24K miles. After that , I will be doing it myself.

xcel likes this.
  10. The Doctor

The Doctor Old Dude, New Car

I"m not a certified mechanic, but I've been doing my own maintenance on my cars and motor cycles, for about 55 years now. So when it comes to something as simple as an oil change, I'm the only one who ever touches my car.

Everything on my car (Kia Soul, Base 2013) that turns, and can be tightened, has a very specific Torque Specification.
    Whether I'm tightening a lug nut or putting on my Oil filter, I use a Torque Wrench and go by the Manufacturers specs.
    By doing everything to spec, I never have any trouble getting things apart. And, nothing ever comes loose and falls off.

Oil filters? If I use anything but a Genuine Kia Oil Filter, I risk damage to my VVT system and cancellation of my warranty.
    So my little 1.6L four banger gets nothing but real Kia Oil Filters.

NOWhere does Kia recommend Synthetic oil in their engines, so my little girl gets only top quality natural oil, and it
    gets changed every 3k miles. My drain oil is still better quality than the crap that some guys are putting in their engines.
    I use it here and share it with my neighbors, for all sorts of lubricating needs.

Happy New Year!
    :cool:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015