Chevrolet’s 2016 Colorado Duramax Turbo Diesel

Discussion in 'GM' started by xcel, Jul 29, 2015.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] This could be GMs most significant release this year!

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – July 28, 2015

2016 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab with the all-new 2.8L Duramax – Expected to arrive at $32,950 to start (RWD LT) while offering owners an EPA of possibly 22/31 mpgUS city/highway?

Following up on the 2015 Chevrolet/GMC Colorado/Canyon Twins Base Pricing Up and overview from almost a year ago, yesterday GM released another in a long line of releases regarding the Colorado and Canyon pickups. This time it provided more on the upcoming in-house designed 2.8L Duramax turbo diesel including the pricing upcharge and a hint about its EPA results. Whether both hold true will be revealed in just a few short weeks from now as the BowTie readies their super truck for the American road this fall.

The 181 hp and 369 lb-ft. of torque 2.8L I4 Duramax turbo diesel ups the Colorado’s maximum trailering capacity to 7,700 pounds on RWD models. Within the same release, GM stated it is the cleanest emitting diesel truck engine ever produced by General Motors.

The new Colorado diesel goes on sales this fall, offered in LT and Z71 Crew Cab models (6’ 2” bed), with 2WD or 4WD. It is priced $3,730 more than a comparably equipped 3.6L V-6 model.

By comparison, the 21/28 mpgUS city/highway rated 2015 RAM 1500 SLT trimmed EcoDiesel w/ the 8-speed AT (a $4,770 upcharge) in Crew Cab configuration retails for $41,635 + $1,195 D&H. Looking at local dealership websites, there appears to be $6,500 to $8,000 cash on the hood of most of the turbo diesels available. Expect decent discounts on the 2.8L Duramax equipped Colorado soon after its release as well.

Some of the engines features include the following:
    • Smart diesel exhaust brake system
    • 6L50 6-speed AT matched with an NVH reduction piece called the Centrifugal Pendulum Vibration Absorber (CPVA)
    • Z82 trailering package is std. and includes a Class V hitch receiver and seven-pin connector
    • All-new std. integrated trailer brake controller
    • G80 automatic locking rear differential
    • 3.42 rear axle ratio
    • Electronically controlled two-speed transfer case on 4WD models
    • Maximum trailering rating of 7,700 pounds RWD models and 7,600 pounds 4WD
    • GVWRs of 6,000 pounds for RWD and 6,200 pounds for 4WD
    Other features will include Chevy MyLink with phone integration technology – and compatibility with Apple CarPlay – OnStar 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspot, Lane Departure Warning and Forward Collision Alert.

Colorado’s innovative solutions for hauling and accessing cargo include the excellent CornerStep rear bumper, EZ Lift-and-Lower tailgate (standard on Z71 and available on LT), two-tier loading in the cargo bed, 13 standard moveable tie-down locations throughout the bed, and an available factory-installed spray-in bed liner.

2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel

2016 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8L Duramax TurboDiesel

[​IMG]

Colorado’s new 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel features a variable-geometry turbocharger providing a huge amounts of torque at low rpm.

The basics include:
    • Iron cylinder block and aluminum DOHC cylinder head
    • Forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods
    • Oiling circuit that includes a dedicated feed for the turbocharger to provide increased pressure at the turbo and faster oil delivery
    • Piston-cooling oil jets
    • 16.5:1 compression ratio
    • Common rail direct injection fuel system
    • Ceramic glow plugs for shorter heat-up times and higher glow temperatures
    • Balance shaft that contributes to smoothness and drives the oil pump
    • Laminated steel oil pan with upper aluminum section that contributes to engine rigidity and quietness
      B20 bio-diesel capability
    The Duramax 2.8L cooled EGR contributes to lower emissions by diverting some of the engine-out exhaust gas and mixing it back into the fresh intake air stream, which is drawn into the cylinder head for a second combustion. That lowers combustion temperatures, rates resulting in lower NOx output.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab

[​IMG]
    While only an Extended Cab, the 2.8L Duramax hauling all of this and a trailer to boot would be child’s play.​

To control vibration and noise inside Colorado, engineers integrated a device called the Centrifugal Pendulum Vibration Absorber (CPVA) in the torque converter used with the standard Hydra-Matic 6L50 6-speed AT. It is an absorbing damper with a set of secondary spring masses, that — when energized — cancels out the engine’s torsional vibrations so the driver and passengers can’t feel them. In its unique design, the spring masses vibrate in the opposite direction of the torsional vibrations of the engine, balancing out undesirable torsional vibrations. I have never seen it work so I have no idea about the layout or how it reduces second and third order vibration.

The integrated, driver-selectable exhaust brake system is based on the system introduced on the 2015 Silverado HD models and uses the compression power of the 2.8L Duramax engine to improve vehicle control and reduce brake pad wear.

When the exhaust brake is engaged in cruise mode, exhaust cruise grade braking will help the cruise control system maintain the desired vehicle speed when travelling downhill, keeping the driver from having to apply the brakes and exit cruise control to maintain speed.

When the exhaust brake is engaged in non-cruise mode, the transmission and the exhaust brake deliver the correct amount of braking to assist in vehicle control, regardless of vehicle load. It is a smart system that varies the amount of brakes needed for the vehicle, load and grade. The engagement of the system is smooth and quiet, while its performance enhances the driver’s feeling of control. Hopefully it is a quiet system. Remains to be seen.

GM June 2015 Colorado/Canyon Sales Highlights and Overall Results

Column1Column2Column3Column4Column5Column6Column7
    ModelJune-15June-14June-DSR % changeJune-15 YTDJune-14 YTDYTD-DSR % change
    Colorado6,55851NA41,57573NA
    Canyon2,5323NA15,0175NA

The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 25 days in June of 2015 and 24 days in June of 2014.
    Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 152 days in both June of 2015 and June of 2014.​

June 2015 Pickup Truck Segment Sales Totals

Column1Column2Column3Column4Column5Column6Column7
    SegmentJune-15 RankMay-15 RankApr-15 RankMakeModelJune-15 Sales
    P/U Trucks111FordF-Series*55,171
    222ChevroletSilverado*51,548
    333RAM15/25/3500*33,332
    444GMCSierra*18,618
    555ToyotaTacoma15,959
    666ToyotaTundra9,926
    777ChevroletColorado6,558
    888NissanFrontier4,437
    999GMCCanyon2,532
    101010NissanTitan1,155
    111111HondaRidgeline7

* Includes HD pickups

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Hahahahaha .. ha ... :ccry:

3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

That CPVA sounds similar in concept to a dual mass flywheel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbvP5EvpUbA&t=25s

The new 2.8TD is getting close to what the old GM 6.5TD V8 from the 2500 and 3500 trucks in the late 1990s:

195 hp (145 kW) @ 3400 RPM / 430 lb·ft (580 N·m) @ 1800 RPM

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  4. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

B - 20 yea !

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Is this engine a four or six cylinder ? Do they want us to know ? I couldn't find it.

6. xcel

Hi Edwin:

An I4.

Wayne

7. joshdurston

joshdurston Rogue Canadian

We need this powerplant in a family hauler. Mini vans and mid sized SUV are greating passed over for top end powerplants in NA.

Bring back the Astro with the Duramax :Banane22:!!!

TheStepChild likes this.
  8. tribosessive

tribosessive Well-Known Member

This is a beautiful truck. I applaud GM for bringing a 4 cylinder diesel mid-sized truck to market in North America---make that a standing ovation.

9. xcel

Meet the new Most Fuel Efficient Pickup in North America

Hi All:

2016 Chevrolet Colorado Duramax Turbo Diesel

[​IMG]
    RWD variant earns an 22/31 mpgUS city/highway rating.​

This morning Chevrolet announced that their RWD 2016 Colorado with the 181 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque 2.8L Duramax turbo-diesel mated to the standard 6-speed AT is the most fuel efficient pickup in America. With its 21-gallon fuel tank, the RWD model offers an estimated maximum highway range of 650+ miles per tank.

The 2016 Colorado diesel 2WD is rated at 22/31/25 mpgUS city/highway/combined. The 4WD model offers an EPA estimated 20/29/23 mpgUS city/highway/combined.

The RWD/4WD Colorado Duramax turbo diesel can tow up to 7,700/7,600 pounds respectively with the available trailering package.

GM stated the Hydra-Matic 6L50 6-speed AT incorporates a Centrifugal Pendulum Vibration Absorber in the torque converter to reduce powertrain NVH.

A variable-geometry turbocharger helps optimize power and efficiency across the rpm band, while a balance shaft contributes to smoothness. Colorado’s diesel can also be fueled on B20.

A smart diesel exhaust brake and an integrated trailer brake controller are also part of the all-new drivetrain.

The Colorado diesel goes on sale later this fall, offered in LT and Z71 Crew Cab models, with 2WD or 4WD. Pricing for the diesel engine option is $3,730 more than a comparably equipped 3.6L V-6 model.

Wayne

10. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Hmmm
    EPA numbers are just slightly better than the full sized Ram Italian 3.0TD
    and it is FULL SIZED-more than 28" between the wheel wells
    Price is about the same as the full sized TD Ram
    The Colorado-and all the rest of the 3/4 sized pickups
    just don't deliver much in the way of lower price much better FE
    ever since they went from being "small pickups"
    Toyota Chevy Ford Dodge-their mid-sized pickups costs too much and deliver too little FE all the whlie charging almost full size price

What is the base price of The Ram 3.0TD-we know it is a 40 mpg at 60 mph full sized pickup?

Oh that vibration damper-sounds cool-does it eliminate the usual counter balancers 4 cylinder engines have? Hope it doesn't break.

I am the resident "sour grapes" on all TD's-since I can't afford one-I urinate on all of them.(except the little Italian Ram)

Seft-yeah sure sounds very similar-probably changed it just enough to dodge patent protection-but maybe it is a very old idea-recycled-and just a few mechanical things need to be changed to get by-starting with a name change
    Funny I always wondered why no one uses a "super heavy clutched flywheel-perhaps one that can change it diameter-to change actual flywheel effect"
    while gliding and braking the flywheel could be at maximum effective diameter(or even just engage a second same diameter flywheel made of Tungsten)-when you come to a stop-clutch "most" of the flywheels out-let it just spin-then re-engage on moving
    Don't-didn't some delivery trucks do something like this-not the pressurized fluid ones-UPS maybe???-
    and didn't some formula 1 cars do something like this years ago??
    a flywheel Hybrid SHOULD be easy
    but since there aren't any-it must be very hard in practice-maybe dangerous too- 300 lb tungsten disc- 1.5 in diameter 5,000 rpms-could be dangerous

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  11. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Wayne's post, as I read it, says it has both a vibration damper in the the transmission AND a balance shaft in the engine. One apparently to damp torsional drivetrain vibration, the other to counteract vertical hopping, respectively.

12. phoebeisis

Redy
    Thanks
    I wonder "why"? Why the drivetrain damper?
    Just "smoother quieter"
    This is a 4 cylinder TD -not as smooth as a V-8 or straight 6
    guessing the engine "thumps" are transmitted to the drivetrain "more" than a somewhat smoother straight 6
    and these cylinders-are bigger than the Rams 3.0 TD V-6
    The drivetrain will last longer??
    Still at 15 psi and 2000 RPMs and heavy TD piston rod- the "THUMP" would be maybe 3x the energy of a 2.4 4 cyl spark THUMP
    Guessing it is actually needed for NHV in a "family" car like this.

Can it do anything the 3.6 full sized Ram can't do(for maybe $10,000 less)
    Or the 3.0 TD Ram for the same $$

These 9/10 scale trucks-for 95/100 of the price
    Easier to park is about it

Doesn't the 3rd world still get "small pickups"
    Don't our ALLAH ACKBAR buddies regularly mount weapons on those smaller pickups?

OK I am kidding mostly-but I would buy the full sized Ram- 3.0td or 3.6 spark- if I am going to get pickup FE might as well actually have a fully competent pickup

Wasn't wayne's Ranger(mazda ?) the last of the mini pickups??

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today's four-door pickups are used as "family cars". Quite often , they even refer to their vehicle as a "car". I know my friend Rich does.

14. phoebeisis

Edwin
    I frequently refer to the suburban as the car.
    Heck it was just supposed to be the "second car" that had enough carrying volume to evacuate 4 contentious cats(in two big dog crates) and two leggy dogs(no crates) 100 miles N of NOLA
    But it was so reliable we took 3000 mile road trips with it.
    And I am stuck driving it-while my late wife and son drive the prius

15. xcel

Hi Charlie:

Your ideas are pretty dead on with most of this. The Colorado's 31 mpg highway rating is ahead of the 29 mpg highway rated RAM 1500 with the EcoDiesel on paper. In practice, my short 5 miles drive of the Duramax equipped Colorado shows it behind but we will try and get behind the wheel for some calibrated drives soon enough.

Mid-trimmed 2015 RAM EcoDiesels are being offered with up to $10k off at my local - in Illiinois - RAM dealership now.

2015 RAM 1500 Bighorn 4X4 w/ the 3.0L EcoDiesel

[​IMG]
    $10k off from Gurnee Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-RAM​

The above screen pull is about 3-weeks old.

Except for the parking size, anyone considering a Colorado or Canyon with the Duramax at anything near retail is out of their mind.

Wayne

16. phoebeisis

Wayne

Yeah the midsized pickups
    Don't make any sense-never did-

Especially if you can get the 3.0 Ram TD for $10,000 off MSRP
    fully competent full sized 1/2 ton-
    rated to tow much more than anyone with any sense would tow with a 1/2 ton
    no diesel fuel premium anymore
    and 40 mpg at 60 mph-

Small pickups-made sense-midsized don't/won't

17. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

What a heavy pig!

I want a smaller aluminum pickup!

18. xcel

Hi All:

We are finally receiving a chance to take the 2016 Chevrolet Colorado Duramax turbo diesel out for a little drive. Not sure if it is a RWD or 4WD but this Friday I am picking it up.

Wayne

19. I want one and we all know I'm out of my mind.

xcel likes this.
  20. xcel

Hi All:

Out with the new (turned in the Audi A3 e-tron) and in with the newer in the form of a super truck. That being a $42,205 as driven, 20/29 mpgUS city/highway rated 2016 ‪Chevrolet ‪Colorado 4WD Z71 equipped with the 2.8L ‪Duramax turbo diesel. We have driven both the Chevrolet Colorado and sister ‪GMC ‎Canyon equipped with the Duramax on short drive loops before but never have we been offered the opportunity to take one for a measured drive of any sort. That ends this morning.

2016 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 4WD

[​IMG]

What is special about this truck? Z71 ‪#‎4WD with a 21/29 US City/Highway rating thanks in part to ‪#‎GMs best small displacement ‪#‎turbo ‪#‎diesel under the hood.

[​IMG]
    The part that makes it special - 2.8L Duramax Turbo Diesel​

Fingers crossed that we have a good one. ;)

Second item of note: ‪Propel ‎High Performance Renewable Diesel. Approximately half the CO2/gallon consumed, a ‪cetane rating of > 70, lower NOx and ‎PM and it is less expensive than gasoline out here on the west coast. Talk about hitting on all cylinders! The GM Duramax Turbo Diesel and Propel renewable diesel fuel is a match made in heaven!

For more on this low carbon super diesel, consider our write-up from last year.

Next Generation Diesel – Inexpensive, Low Carbon and Bio Feedstock Sourced

[​IMG]
    Filling at a Shell in Torrance along the 110 just across the street.

[​IMG]
    Displays reset and she is topped off with low carbon super diesel.​

The built in bumper steps helped tremendously with topping the tough girl off. Only 45-minutes of bouncing the truck thanks to those steps. With a stated tank capacity of 21 gallons, I added almost four gallons from press fleet Handler full. Meaning there is probably about 24 gallons of real fuel capacity allowing another 120 to 150 miles of range than the tank capacity spec indicates. I call that a very good thing!

And finally this ‎Shell on Torrance Blvd. and the 110 provides a free large pop from their ‎Subway with any fill up.

[​IMG]
    Best fuel and a free refreshment, is it any wonder why I like Shell/Subway station so much?​

While just under $12 of super fuel is not a full fill up, I am taking them up and filling up on the offer.

Calibration drive results in the next update...

Wayne

wxman likes this.