My New Car Wish for high MPG!

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by billy, Jul 15, 2015.

1. billy

billy Well-Known Member

With Wayne and Roberts' recent achievement in the 2015 Golf TDI, it further enforces the viability of my wish: For VW or someone to design and build a new Car:
    1) Front wheel drive
    2) 995cc (about 1 liter) 3 cylinder diesel (higher compression please)
    3) 2 seater
    4) Aluminum & other lightweight materials
    5) Manual transmission, very high final drive gearing
    6) CD of .22 (rather than the Golf's .29)
    7) Super LRR, high pressure skinny tires (155/80/14?)

The obstacles to building and selling such a vehicle may be:
    limited demand for a 2 seater, safety regulations & airbags making
    the car heavier than desired, current fuel prices not high enough
    to create the urgency, etc. And even if one was built, would it only
    be for sale in Europe?

I have always preferred the efficiency and high compression of a diesel.
    Kubota and Yanmar build SUPER water cooled diesels in Japan. I have
    no need for 4 doors. Much prefer manual over automatic.

It has been 16 years, and I still dont see a car I can buy, that exceeds
    the efficiency of my first generation Honda Insight.

I want a diesel! What is a hypermiler to do??

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Just find another Insight or do a compete restoration of your Insight and drive it another 150K miles. I don't think we're going to see what you want in this country anytime soon.

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bill:

Have to agree with Al here. We have the "Good enough" syndrome here in the U.S. but at least CAFE is forcing the manufacturers hand to give us what we have today.

The two seater may not make it due to the U.S. drivers desire but eventually that will be overcome.

Wayne

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  4. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I can't think of much unless you want to spend big money.

[​IMG]

I am glad that it is being produced though. It reminds me of the exotic designs that hypercars incorporate, but taken in a totally different direction. I just hope it ends up with a better fate than the Insight, and that other manufacturers get on board and start pushing down prices. I guess putting a diesel into an Insight is a possibility. That may be the only way to get an aerodynamic 2-seater diesel at a somewhat affordable price in the near future :(

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

A very handy mechanic (NOT me ) would put a Kubota engine in his Insight. Didn't some guy on Ecomodder do that ?

7. SpartyBrutus

SpartyBrutus Hypofueller

8. The Doctor

The Doctor Old Dude, New Car

What's considered High MPG, for a comfortable gas burner with Great Performance?

OH, and it must be easy to get into and out of for the over 70 crowd, have good visibility all the way around and have comfortable seats.

:cool:

9. cpeter38

cpeter38 Right Lane Dweller

I'm very impressed with my FFE, but then again, I'm biased (see signature for stats) ...

10. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Hmmm
    A very handy mechanic fabricator-
    NOT ME
    Perhaps Basjoos??
    Where is Basjoos and his Batman -Art Deco Aero styled Civic??
    Yeah I liked that car-

He could start with a CHEATER VWTDI 4 cylinder-
    lighten it-perhaps find a way to re-gear it a bit-maybe taller thinner tires-taller tires poor man's re-gearing-forget the taller rims-screw that-just get more sidewall-skinnier sidewall-but taller
    Then he could put on a front piece-and a tail piece-
    do whatever he does underneath

Yeah just do his aero stuff to a cheater VWTDI
    he might get a 80mpg at 60 mph car

Or you could buy a new PRIUS-with the cheap gas they must be discounted- and easily average
    55 mpg -60 mpg-no effort to speak of- transport 4 stout USA ADULTS -no problem
    They make all other FE cars-pointless-except if fun counts
    Yeah my lumbering 98 suburban-more fun to drive than the 2006 prius

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

Trying to average 60 MPG at 55 MPH highway speeds is possible , but just barely.

When I get off the highway , 75 MPG is very doable.

12. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Diesels are dirty Billy! Keep what you have or do your thing with a Prius c. H

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

I love my Prius for commuting , but I'd rather have a Golf TDI for highway trips. Unfortunately , I can't afford both.

14. phoebeisis

Edwin
    Yup-it is hard-impossible
    in a $$ and cents sense
    to beat the Prius

$$ and cents sense- Prius always wins-
    beats everything in respect to being a reliable economical reasonably front seat comfortable transportation device

Luckily for every other car corp-there is more to car buying than $$ and cents sense

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Charlie, there are MANY other cars that are more enjoyable to drive than the Prius.

Good thing I get my jollies from hypermiling. But I do sometimes wish I had my Civic Si or some modern equivalent fun-car for weekends.

I'm gunning for 250K miles over the next ten years. Even if gasoline is impossibly cheap ( like today) I will come out ahead with the Prius.

16. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

For low-mileage owners, how could a Prius possibly beat a basic Versa or Accent? Likely it can not even for an average owner at today's fuel prices.

17. phoebeisis

Redy

You are right with $2 gas-and 3000 miles per year.
    I was really thinking in terms of somewhat similarly priced cars-
    TDI vs prius
    not the lowest end cars
    The prius isn't "FUN" but it is surprisingly comfortable-front seats(the 2004-2009)
    I think the lower end prius are a bit less comfortable-and a bit noisier

Used cars and DIY beat even Cheapo new cars

18. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

The aerocivic gets 82mpg at 60mph.

19. phoebeisis

Basjoos
    82 at 60 with a fairly old Civic-but maybe that Civic is smaller/lighter-from the get go
    What would similar mods do for a suitable VWTDI-?
    Thanks
    Charlie

PS I quickly searched the aero civic
    A 92 CX but your writing says it now get 100 mpg at 60 mph with the "newly" installed lean burn engine
    I didn't look too hard for length-but you mentioned a 3 foot tail piece-
    and the front looks about 1.5' longer-so 4.5' maybe
    so it is maybe 210" bit longer than a minivan-but less than a suburban-and much much narrower

Oh I like the interior mirrors
    About 4 weeks ago-while on my bicycle- 3 feet onto shoulder-I was suddenly THUMPED and dumped in a grassy ditch by a texting driver-in broad daylight-still not sure if the mirror hit me or the handlebar-no bruise so maybe the bar-but no paint,so(yeah the plastic cover went bouncing down the shoulder-funny it caught my attention as I went down and settled into the dry but grassy ditch)
    The spring loaded mirrors-still deliver a good THUMP at 40 mph-
    I wasn't hurt-just scraped elbow-but it got my attention
    he stopped- 70 yards away(probably waited until he saw I wasn't hurt-who knows) didn't bother with cops or ambulance-I'm old-64- have no interest in spending any of my remaining life dealing with LEO Lawyers insurance companies-

Your deer story brought that to mind

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  20. EdwinTheMagnificent

I hate getting hit by a car when riding my bicycle. Mine was also caused by a cell phone. The other guy admitted this. But I wasn't hurt, had lots of witnesses if I WAS hurt , and the guy drove me and the bike to the bike shop and paid for the damage. I know that if I screwed up like that, I would want people to be cool about it. Why get the police and insurance companies involved ? Glad you weren't hurt, Charlie.