2014 RAM 1500 Review Begins

Discussion in 'Chrysler' started by xcel, Aug 8, 2014.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Here is a keeper with Pups and the 14 RAM 1500 equipped with the 3.0L EcoDiesel.

[​IMG]

Went out and shot the 2014 RAM 1500 Tradesman with the EcoDiesel this evening. Less than a mile so no real impressions yet but I love real work trucks vs pretenders that never seem to live up to their capabilities.

[​IMG]

Base meaning a Regular Cab w/ 17" steel wheels and big sidewall 205/70R17 tires, roll up windows, manual locks, vinyl seats, vinyl flooring, and an honest to goodness 8' bed.

[​IMG]

This is a base 2014 RAM 1500 Tradesman 2X4 that starts at $25,195 which includes the following:
    • Class IV bumper hitch with 4 and 7-pin harness
    • CC
    • Armrest w/ 3- good size cupholders
    • A/C
    • Base Uconnect 3.0 with 6-speakers, aux jack, and a USB port (sounds just OK)
    • 12V outlet in the central storage bin
    • Very large behind the seat storage bin
    [​IMG]

Outside there is a lot of black. Unusual for a base anything is auto headlamps.

This Tradesman has a few options that make it a true standout. Namely the 3.0L EcoDiesel mated to the EcoDiesel specific 8-speed AT (+$4,500).

[​IMG]

It also arrived with the Trailer towing package ($330) that includes an integrated trailer brake and large extendable trailer towing mirrors - those are going to hurt the FE a bit.

With the EcoDiesel you lose the base 32-gallon tank and in its place is a 26-gallon one.

[​IMG]

This big brute as equipped is capable of towing 8,200 pounds with the stock 3.55 or 9,200 pounds w/ the available 3.92 rear end and a Class IV frame hitch.

It also arrived with a sliding rear window ($140), and an upgraded Uconnect 5.0 ($660) with a temp and compass display, voice command with BT (no NAVI), 5" touch screen and SiriusXM w/ a 1-year sub.

[​IMG]

D&H is $1,195 for a total of $32,020. There is at least $2k on the hood bringing it down to under $30k for the 20/28 mpg city/highway monster.

I can only say it is quite a bit more comfortable than the hyper light 14 Miata Club currently in the drive. They cost about the same, the truck weighs approximately twice as much and both have similar FE ratings! I know, different vehicles for totally different uses for vastly different audiences.

[​IMG]

It also has a Mopar roll up Tonneau cover ($500 as a guess?).

Pups seems to like it too...

[​IMG]

So what the hell am I doing with this truck in IL?
    Actually San Diego for even better weather. ;) So I'll haul a few things out while heading West and camping along the way with all of my Eureka! gear in tow.

[​IMG]

I will try and hit a weigh station at some point during the drive out. Supposed to weigh 5,088 pounds with a payload of 1,510 according to the 2014 RAM 1500 tow charts.

Anyone notice the really cool hats on the dash? ;)

[​IMG]

Wayne

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Questions/comments:

Where is the shifter? I don't see one!
    I agree, I miss the yeoman trucks which used to be the only trucks you'd see. I have to give major kudos to Dodge for having the guts to supply one as a press vehicle.
    What is that thing which looks like stars and bars in the cubby above the glovebox? Looks like cigs?
    I love the idea of driving to SD and camping your way there. I am slightly envious.
    Your dog is adorable!

3. xcel

Hi James:

I should have mentioned that and good catch! The 2013 and 2014 RAM 1500s arrive with a very unique rotary shift knob. Here is a somewhat poor close-up.

[​IMG]

The stars in the cubby are a pack of RAM Playing cards that RAMs Nick Cappa sent me when he found out what I wanted to do with his truck. :) Interesting enough, a 2L bottle fits into that cubby very nice and tight. Almsot like it was designed for that purpose?

Thanks for the note on Pups. She's a great friend and is always with me whenever I am home.

Wayne

4. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Well-Known Member

I had a truck like that once , back in'87, it did not even have AC
    Never again, no place to put drawings, shop manuals , winter boot, winter coats, hard hat, safety vest
    Where do you keep cases of water, since there can be no water on the job sites

Extended cab or crew cab for me, with a cap on back with the tail gate removed, so I can full doors on the cap

I remember Dodgers back in the mid '60's having push button on the dash

5. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the black plastic bumpers are part of the "Tradesman" trim. Is the plastic bedliner standard or an option?

6. xcel

HI Airbalancer:

The Std. Cab is not like the std. cabs of the past. There is ~ a foot behind the rear seats for storage of "work" gear. Will shoot a pic of that large cargo box behind the seats alter today.

Rich, the bed liner is one of those tough spray in types and it is std.

Wayne

7. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Well-Known Member

A foot would not be good enough when it is your rolling office:p

8. xcel

Hi Airbalancer:

A foot would hold a hard hat and hundreds of rolled up plan view prints. Let me snap a shot and you can decide.

The back of the Ranger has no room for this. The back of this RAM does. The seats even recline to a very comfortable position for me and I like a lot of recline. ;)

Wayne

9. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

That's pretty normal in full-sized regular cabs. There's usually plenty of space for hard hats, spare boots and rain gear for two guys. It usually fills up with junk (old plans, parts you didn't use) though.

10. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Yup, first thing I thought of! Late 50s it started. By the mid-60s Mopar was basically the last one hanging into the idea and they were starting to phase them out. Someone else, Mercury maybe? Or Edsel? Had push buttons on the centre of the steering wheel. Pretty sure there were some others who had a variation on that theme as well.

11. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Being the old Mopar fan here, these are some of my favorites. All Automatic transmission Mopars from 1956 through 1964 had pushbutton.

1961 Imperial

[​IMG]

61 Chrysler 300

[​IMG]

1958 Fury, think Christine.

[​IMG]

1962 Lancer

[​IMG]

1964 Imperial

[​IMG]

1957 Imperial

[​IMG]

1958 Desoto Firedome, with factory record player under dash. Yeah it's got a HEMI.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  12. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  13. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Didn't they abandon those pushbutton transmission controls because they were less reliable than conventional shift levers? ... and also because of greater risk of drivers accidentally hitting the wrong button? (Imagine just as you're reaching for "N" to coast down a hill, the car hits a bump and you punch "R" instead ... )

Looks like dash-mounted turn signal switches on some of those Chrysler products? I didn't know about that.

AMC also used pushbutton transmission controls for a while, too, I believe.

14. rossbro

rossbro Well-Known Member

My dad's 56 or 57 Dodge sedan had push button shift on dash front.

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I remember some Ramblers from the 60's also having a push-button shift.

16. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

You can see the early cars had no Park lever - the old cast iron Torqueflites had no parking pawl because Mopars of the day had a driveshaft-mounted parking brake that accomplished the same task. The Lancer and later (early 60s) Imperial images show the new feature of the aluminum TF (727 and 904) - the lever that you'd move to engage the parking pawl after you pressed the [N] button.
    The Chrysler pushbuttons were entirely mechanical and very reliable. What killed them off were the government safety standards that required a PRNDL shift sequence and in order to sell cars to the government (military, etc), the car's automatic trans needed a shift lever and that sequence. Chrysler's pushbutton was put out to pasture starting in the 1965 model year - the first year the government required the new PRNDL standard. Not coincidentally, GM's Hydramatics (PNDSLR) and Dynaflows (PNDLR) were sent to Aamco Heaven and replaced with TurboHydramatics (PRNDSL) for the same reason.
    Rambler - on their Borg-Warner sourced transmissions, which were very similar to Ford's autoboxes and so the pushbuttons could be very similar. They were also found in Packards on their treacherous Ultramatic. At one point, most major manufacturers, except GM, had pushbutton transmissions.

The dial on the RAM 1500 is the general direction the industry is headed. With electronically-controlled automatics, you only need a simple switch to tell the computer which direction you want to go and how fast. For years, most gearshift levers have been nothing more than multi-contact electrical switches. RAM and other Chrysler brands are starting to change the layout of the switch to save console space. I noticed that the RAM's shift knob appears textured and sized so it can be used by drivers wearing work gloves while still delivering a positive tactile feedback.

17. RoadWarrior222

RoadWarrior222 rockit serjun

I get that a knob is no biggie, but I'd probably want to change it for a knob off my stove or something.

(Can't think what that type of knob is called, most common type on stoves though)

18. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Ya beat me to it. Damned regulations. ;)

19. Just to clarify with me being too lazy to go to rams site.

Base price $25k plus diesel option $4500, so $30,000 give or take a few?

20. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Use the knob off an old washer - Wash Soak Rinse Spin Pretreat - could be fun. Just remember to shift to Spin when you want to take a spin in the new truck.