MPG decrease Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by mfbrisson, Jul 16, 2014.

1. mfbrisson

mfbrisson New Member

I have a 2012 Camry Hybrid. I was getting 36.7 avg mpg but has steadily decreased to 35.2 over the past few months. I change the oil regularly, rotate tires and have had the spark plugs changed. Any suggestions?

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Double check tire pressures.

Check oil fill level. Must not be above add. Also, it could be the wrong oil (too thick).

Does the car glide freely, or do you feel negative g's in neutral? You can also check by raising the car off the ground and checking for free spinning.

Could need to clean MAF sensor, throttle body, etc.

Any changes at all in your driving?

3. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

It could simply be air conditioner use.

4. No Static At All

No Static At All Active Member

Are you using the air conditioner much? It can/will put a noticeable dent in mileage.

5. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

Over how many miles the last few months. How many miles total on TCH?
    What tire pressure right now?

6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

36.7 to 35.2 is not a significant change, unless conditions are very tightly controlled, which is hard to do in real-world traffic, with normal weather variations, etc.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I'd chime in with RedylC94. 1.5 mpg is pretty minor variation. Just a variation in your driving routines, trip length, any change in your driving behaviour could account for that. And of course the usual suspects, tire pressure, weather and so on.

Something to try: after an extended drive, to check for brake drag: go around the car feeling all four wheel hubs, to see if any are running hot, or hotter than the others.