Another help with tires thread

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by newtotires, Jun 18, 2014.

1. newtotires

newtotires New Member

You guys know tires, I unfortunately, do not.

My local shop is charging me $115 for 4 goodyear eagles (195/55/15) (buy 3 get 1)
    I looked on tirerack and they are 80 something a piece. evens out to the same.

But looks like the only LRR tire is the bridgestone Ecopia EP150 at around $97 a piece.

Should I drop the extra $100~ on the LRR tires? Will it really help me out much at all?

(My car is a 07 honda fit sport)
    Last summer I was getting between 30-36mpg on my worn all season tires. atm I'm getting about 25-28 (winter studded tires still on)

2. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

On TireRack's site, I see a slightly wider selection of LRR tires in the 185/60/15 size. Those tires are about 1/2 inch narrower and 3/8 inch taller. The extra 0.4 inches in diameter shouldn't be enough to cause clearance problems (usually width is the issue with clearance when looking for fat tires), and the speedometer/odometer error would be minimal. The Goodyear FuelMax in that size may be worth considering.

If you are the type of driver that is willing to glide - meaning let the car roll down the road without the driver touching the pedals - then LRR tires will show some savings. If you always have your foot on one of the two pedals, the lower rolling resistance doesn't show much benefit because the car is always either burning more gas to speed up, or burning up the brake pads to scrub off the speed.

30-36mpg in a Fit with automatic isn't bad at all, but it seems that there is a lot of potential waiting to be unlocked. Be sure to read Beating the EPA to learn how to make the Fit a formidable weapon in the war against high fuel prices.

3. newtotires

newtotires New Member

I appreciate all the feedback.
    You sure moving a bit in size shouldnt matter at all?
    I looked up the review on tirerack, and there were a lot of bad reviews on it. It looks like an ok tire, but than again, I don't really know tires.

Seems like the tire lost most of its tread pretty quickly, were quite noisy, and lousy in rain.
    I live in Maine, so it rains quite frequently up here. Sepcially this time of year.

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I had FuelMax's on my Odyssey and they're great tires. Good in the rain. They did wear faster than I'd like. They were worth a solid 5% mpg increase over the oem michelin symmetry's, also a LRR tire.

The size Maxx suggested is like a half size up, so it will be fine. I know Fit guys running 205-width tires with no trouble. Also, a lot of Fit guys running 1+ inch dropped suspension. 3/8 taller overall means only 3/16 extra on top. There is plenty of vertical clearance between the tire and body.

5. newtotires

newtotires New Member

Ok, I will check them out. Goodyear has a sale going on too for b3g1 which is nice. plus that 40$ rebate.