What happens if....

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by Bendmac, May 4, 2014.

1. Bendmac

Bendmac Bendmac

...you live in a state where you can't pump your own gas? Oregon in my case...

2014 FFH...while the electronic fuel mileage monitoring is nice, I do question the overall accuracy. Normally, one would then track mileage by keeping a fuel log, tracking miles driven, then divide by the next fuel fill...

However, we aren' t "allowed" to pump our gas here... Oregon and New Jersey? On top of that, fuel jockeys here won't "top off"...first click, even on a slow fill and they're done...Oregon environmental standards...

That said, I know I'm never going to get a "full" fill and that any figures I keep in a fuel log are going to be skewed towards the "optimistic side..any ideas for accurate monitoring? And no, moving is NOT an option! :)

2. Mountain Driver

Mountain Driver Active Member

I prefer not to 'top off' just for the reason you ask about. I fill at the same pump each time with the hope that the shut off on that pump is fairly consistant (as opposed to using a different pump each time). Fuel consumption display on the car very closely mirrors what's being pumped.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

That's my method, and I'm pumping my own gas. If that's the way full service works in Oregon, I'd have no qualms.

Filling thus has little effect on your calculations. For starters, that first click will give a roughly uniform full level. And any discrepancy will cancel out from one tank to the next.

And I agree with the environmental considerations, topping up is a waste of time, is prone to spillage, and might mess up evaporative controls. Not to mention it's frustrating for the next guy in line.

For what it's worth, we live in a mini-Oregon: Coquitlam doesn't allow self-serve. As far as I know they're the lone bastion of full-serve only, in all of greater Vancouver. We've lived here over 20 years, and I think I've tanked up locally once!

4. Gageraid

Gageraid Well-Known Member

Hello from New Jersey where we are "not allowed" to pump our own gas.
    Here's the solution. I've been pumping my own gas for 7 years now. Frequent the same gas stations, and as long as you know what you're doing, they don't mind.
    Their main concern is knowing that you paid. When they see my Jeep pull up, they don't even bother coming over to me cuz they know I do it myself. They're all friendly. I appreciate them letting me do it myself, and they appreciate not having to worry about me messing up since I'm a pro. =]

5. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Individual tanks may fluctuate a little from the actual but it will all even out in the end.

6. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

That's true, as long as you figure your long-term average mpg by dividing the miles traveled over several fills by the total number of gallons added (or the inverse for you Canadians who compute liters per kilometer ). Figuring mpg of each fill and then averaging those numbers will introduce significant errors (unless all your fills are close to equal volume).

7. RedylC94

That's their fake excuse, in my opinion, at least in Jersey (where I once lived and dealt with the same issue for 10 years). Stations in the rest of the U.S. use pay-inside-first technology for cash customers. Besides, many, if not most, people pay at the pump with plastic. Their real reason has more to do with saving low-skill jobs.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  8. Unleaded

Unleaded Well-Known Member

Get a diesel. Or start driving a motorcycle. :p j/k.

For those that don't know, you CAN pump your own diesel. Or if you are riding a motorcycle, you CAN pump your own gas.

I don't know if this applies to New Jersey or not.

9. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

When on my motorcycle, full service stations have always let me pump my own. I don't think they want to be responsible for dripping gas on the paint or other parts.

10. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Fellow Oregonian here, been tracking my mileage for years under the full-service regime. It usually works out fine if you just have them stop after the first click. Your log is going to be skewed towards an optimistic fill ... only once. Aftert hat, my experience is that stopping after the first click still gives a reasonably consistent fill.

And, at least here in the Portland area, that is what the gas jockeys all do now anyway. No one wants to get fined by DEQ for topping off. My experience around Bend has historically been that the attendants there were slack about it, but maybe things are changing. After all, a freshly topped-off tank in a car parked in the Central Oregon sun can make a real mess.

I agree with RedylC94 that it's really about preserving low-wage jobs, though opposition to self-serve gas is usually presented as an environmental issue, as if average civilians somehow aren't qualified to do it themselves. And even in Oregon, most pumps at larger stations have card readers on them now, so it's not about stealing gas either.

BTW, what Unleaded says is true: you can pump your own diesel in Oregon. I do it all the time with my Golf. Often it freaks out bystanders -- "Hey! You can't pump your own gas!"... "That's true, but I'm not pumping my own gas!" But attendants are always happy to let me do task myself - low wage job or not.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  11. Gageraid

To steal gas hit the cash button, print a receipt, and tell the attendant you paid with plastic. This is why they don't want you to do it yourself.
    I've had motorcycle riders that didn't know how to pump their gas...
    Working at a gas station in Jersey is harder than you think especially during the summer months with all the gas cans and annoying tourists and you out of state folks who wanna pump it themselves. =]

12. RedylC94

How can you steal gasoline that way when cash customers are required to pay inside in advance, as is the usual routine elsewhere? Jersey has had that rule since long before anybody paid with plastic at the pump.

13. Gageraid

Cash is paid to the attendant outside. You can give the cash before or after the gasoline has been pumped. Everywhere I know of except for Wawa does it this way.

14. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Never seen a pump with a Cash button.

15. Gageraid

The station I worked at (Exxon) had one. The Exxon that I go to now doesn't have one. You just punch in how much you want, then hit enter and fuel type and that's how you pay cash.

16. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

Most pumps around here have a "pay inside with cash" option but the pump isn't turned on till they have your cash (you can guess why) ((wish there was EV charging available at filling stations ...)) :rolleyes:

17. RedylC94

That's true most places, which is why fear of drive-off theft is a fake excuse for banning self-serve.