Fuel Economy with Penzoil Platinum Plus Oil

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by yaris12, May 1, 2014.

1. yaris12

yaris12 Member

I have heard synthetic oil is more fuel efficent. Penzoil claims piston head are 25% cleaners. Is there any actual data that shows you get better gas mileage wtih synthetic oil and even better gas mileage with this Penzoil?

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

The advantages with synthetic over conventional oil is this, it stays cleaner and keeps the engine cleaner (Resists Sludge). At lower temperatures it flows much easier than conventional oil. Once the engine oil gets up to temperature the advantages of synthetic over a quality conventional oil decrease quickly. The gas mileage claim is more inline when operating a vehicle in lower temperatures.

For example I'll use my old Volvo and how it reacted to synthetic over conventional oil. I ran conventional 10W30 for years before switching over after ten or so years. Sub freezing temperatures at start up the oil pressure gauge would peg at 100 psi using conventional oil. After the change over synthetic oil on equally cold mornings I never saw above 75 psi.

Something interesting also happened with my oil temperatures when I switched over to synthetic. In heavy traffic I would see oil temps in the 220-240 degree range with conventional oil. Once I switched over those oil temperatures dropped into the 185-190 degree range in similar traffic. At normal driving speeds the oil temperatures between the oils were close to the same.

I surmise on this point, I think the oil temperature drop wasn't as much due to the synthetic over the conventional oil but more due to the synthetic cleaning out years of sludge like build up in the oil galleries of the engine. Better oil flow means the oil cooler was able to process more oil more efficiently thus the lower temperatures.

I was a 3000 miles oil change guy when I was using conventional 10W30 oil. It took me a while to change my thinking before I would go 5,000 miles on Mobil One.

Any good high quality synthetic is always better than any hopped up conventional oil.

If you're talking about the Pennzoil Platinum synthetic it has gotten pretty good reviews over the years on the Oil Board.

3. tribosessive

tribosessive Well-Known Member

I have conducted extensive consumer field study testing for 60k miles, using Eneos Sustina 0W20, the lightest motor oil on the market-and 3× as expensive as any other oil. You can enjoy a 1-3% increase in fuel economy using a light motor oil.
    Pennzoil's cousin, Quaker State produces a 0W20 motor oil called Ultimate Durability that is almost as light, performs as well in terms of protection and fuel economy, and is a supreme bargain.
    Driving style and low rolling resistance tires are the key to hypermiling.

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I just bought a jug of Quaker State Ultimate Durability for my Fit. ;) Its published viscosity is lower than the same 0W20 rated Mobil1, my previous standard.

That's one of the biggest places Synthetic will benefit you - they're slightly thinner at the same rating than conventional oil.

5. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

I see no sludge any more with >6000-mile changes and conventional oil. Sludge used to be a problem with certain major brands of conventional oil.

6. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

I have some experience with that oil and worked well for a turbocharged. For fuel economy, if you are swtching from dino oil to synhtetic maybe you will see a slight benefit, but you have to experiment with diferent types and brands to see if any real benefit for your car...

7. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Particularly Quaker State...

8. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

I wasn't gonna name names, but yes.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

The thinner oils improve mileage. The thinnest oils, in particular 0W20, are invariably synthetic.

That aside, comparing two 10W30 oils for example, one regular oil and one synthetic, I doubt you'd see any difference in mpg.

Our Prius is spec'd to use 0W20 oil. I just pick up Toyota branded 0W20. No idea who's actually manufacturing it. It's available to anyone who walks up to the parts counter. At my most recent purchase it was $5.65 (CAN) per liter.

I could buy Pennzoil 0W20 at a few automotive speciality stores, for approximately double the price...

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I've heard that Toyota's oil is very good quality. And the price is right, too.

11. No Static At All

No Static At All Active Member

It is Mobil 1 oil :cool:

12. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Can't say it is, things may have changed but back in 2009 when Toyota introduced their own brand of 0W20 it was made by ESSO (Imperial Oil Canada).

13. No Static At All

No Static At All Active Member

Hmm, you may be right. I remembered reading about this in the Edmunds Corolla Forum.

Taken from Edmunds

"There has been in many areas a change in manufacturer of the Toyota 0W-20. On a popular oil forum (BITOG) there are 2 different Virgin oil analysis of the old Red Bottle 0w-20 and the new black bottle 0w-20. The big thing this oil has going for it is MOLY, a anti-wear agent. Many on the oil forum think the red bottle was for sure Nippon/Eneos and the black bottle is most likely a Exxon-Mobil product. Both have very good additive packages."

14. tribosessive

tribosessive Well-Known Member

Red bottle was made for Toyota by Eneos. Black bottle is made for Toyota by Mobil and it is substantially thinner than Mobil1 0W20.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

As far as I can remember, the Toyota 0W20 I purchase (Canadian, from Open Road Toyota, Port Moody) has been this silver bottle. The volume is 1 liter. Also, bottom of bottle has embossed text saying "MADE IN CANADA".

[​IMG]

The small size is making some of the text a reading exercise. The back of label, just below the API Service label, reads:

"Product blended in USA, Packaged in Canada"

16. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Toyota oil is made by Exxon ? H