Battery replacement

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by usmclowrider, Mar 28, 2014.

1. usmclowrider

usmclowrider New Member

I am shopping around for a battery for my 2007 Civic Hybrid. I am looking at the either Bumblebee Battery or Hybrid Revolt. I like some of the things I have read about Bumblebee, but I have trouble coming up with all the cash up front including the core charge and shipping. But Hybrid Revolt has an option that I can pay all at once. However, this option only comes with a 6 month warranty instead of their 2 or 3 year warranty. I would like the longer warranty, but just don't have the cash. I am curious if anybody has had experience with Hybrid Revolt? Would anyone recommend their batteries?
    http://hybridrevolt.com/catalog/

Thank you

2. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Reinvolt have been around the longest and have a good name. You will get good life out of the new pack if you have had the latest updates on the IMA operating system. The reason the packs did not last was because the original IMA was very hard on the pack.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

First off, are you sure you're out off warranty? Or is it a case of an ailing battery but no warning lights?

And if it's just out of warranty, don't hesitate to ask Honda anyway, it worked for us recently, with an 06. The warning light had gone, the car was just beyond the date limit, but about 20K kilometers beyond distance limit. We talked to Honda Canada, and ended up only having to pay the installation charge (~$150).

If money is short, I'd try to be patient, save till you can afford the full warranty.

BTW: another name to look into is GreenTechAuto:

http://greentecauto.com/hybrid-batteries/honda/06-10civic

4. all_about_the_glide

all_about_the_glide Well-Known Member

(Shhh..., knock on wood, be very careful, god bless, I don't want to think this let alone type it) I have over 110k miles on the original battery with zero software updates...confirmed by the dealer asking to do them every time they touch the car...and it seems to be running fine. I will know for sure if winter ever leaves hear in Minnesota. My advice, for what's it's worth, is to read every thing you can about the car on this site (it's encyclopedic) and drive accordingly. The critical software resides between your ears.

5. all_about_the_glide

all_about_the_glide Well-Known Member

please, keep us updated if you do decide on a replacement.

6. mmrmnhrm

mmrmnhrm Well-Known Member

Sigh... if only I could get my original software back. "Brand new" battery pack and I'm still only getting 31mpg.

Parasite likes this.
  7. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

mmmrmnhrm- Its not the software. I had all the flashes and my car was still pulling in 50 mpg on all trips . You have other issues i'm afraid. H

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

Both companies you mentioned are reputable.

Have you considered a grid charger? It's ~$500-$1,000 and would likely help you keep your car going for a while longer while you save up for a new battery. It would at least balance out the pack.

I would advise most people to not purchase a used/refurbished Honda pack if possible.
    They just don't hold up the same way used/refurbished Toyota packs do.

Be happy to chat with you on the phone about options.
    Call me during the work week or leave me a number and a time to call you back.

How long have you been having issues with the battery? And what exactly are the symptoms?

Parasite likes this.
  9. usmclowrider

usmclowrider New Member

I already have a grid charger from hybrid automotive. It does it's job and the battery works great for a few days and then it starts recalibrating all the time and the IMA and engine lights come on. I'm going to go ahead and go for the Bumblebee. I like them because when I talked them about charging the battery they actually recommended the grid charger I bought. I will post when I finally get it installed and get some results.

10. hunter44102

hunter44102 Well-Known Member

Did you try cycling the battery? A grid charger by itself will -not- get rid of re-cals the right way, but a cycle WILL.

What you need to do is use light bulbs to drain the voltage to 100V (which is almost empty), then charge it all the way back up with grid charger. You may have to do this twice.

I have revived 2 batteries this way, and helped a guy revive his. I haven't had a re-cal in 6 months since I did the procedure!

Parasite likes this.
  11. usmclowrider

usmclowrider New Member

Can you explain how to use light bulbs to drain the battery? I am new to the hybrid thing, so I only have a small understanding of how it works, but do enjoy learning about the system.

12. mmrmnhrm

mmrmnhrm Well-Known Member

You basically turn your hybrid pack into a giant flashlight that you "forgot" to turn off. Same principle as leaving your headlights on, just at a higher voltage.

13. fileaudio

fileaudio heavy foot ultramegamiler

Try to go to other honda dealers near your city, I do so and ended with a new battery pack... They gave me 3 years of warranty on new pack. Even if you invest on a new battery think that you recover the cash on 9 months of gas saving... IMHO

14. Parasite

Parasite Well-Known Member

I got a replacement from Bumblebee. Replaced it myself (with friends to help lift) It has worked out well for several years now.