Honda has proven they could do it.....

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by billy, Feb 28, 2014.

1. billy

billy Well-Known Member

If there was a demand for it. Let me explain:

My preference for a vehicle is a small, streamlined, super-low c/d, front wheel drive, 2 door hatchback, large fuel tank, tall geared car.

The 2014 Accord Hybrid is a very remarkable achievement. Moving a 3575 lb vehicle with far from great c/d profiles and ridiculous 225/50/17 tires......at an EPA of 50/47/45 is pretty darn impressive. Wow, if the overall height was somehow 8 inches shorter, the rubber was LRR at, say, 195/70/16, and the weight was reduced by 400 lbs; can you imagine?

That is one amazing 1.992 liter engine and surely the super-high 13:1 compression ratio is a big factor in the fuel and thermal efficiency. And still using 87 octane fuel!

All this to make my point: I would LOVE to see Honda develop this same vehicle, but only half-size. How about a 3 cylinder, 950cc, 13:1 compression, Atkinsonized, chain drive powerplant. In other words, a modern update of the Insight first generation......can you say high compression, lean burn, lithium ion, .19 c/d, 1750 lbs total weight, super high final drived cvt, etc etc. My dream car indeed! (Dihatsu UFE III notwithstanding)

2. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I think you may see it next year and it is a Fit. I agree with what you say about the accord. I have a set of hch2 15“ sitting in my basement. As long as they clear the disc brakes. The Fit will be good. A bit of a box,but??? H

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

IF Honda was able to meet safety and emissions regs with that performance AND they thought there was a market for it , they would build and sell it.

I'll be thrilled to just get the current Fit Hybrid offered here.