Is there any harm in coasting in N

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by CoasterToasterXB, Jan 5, 2014.

1. CoasterToasterXB

CoasterToasterXB Well-Known Member

Currently I'm driving a 2014 Prius V. My previous car was a five speed scion XB. I would drop the XB into Neutral and coast everywhere. My real question is it OK to do this with the Prius V? will I damage the transmission doing this? I understand the Idea of fluctuating the throttle between charge and EV to coast that way, but its a pain in the butt! I'm sooo use to dropping it into N :rolleyes:

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'm also pretty used to just dropping it into neutral (quite often) on all my manual cars as well as the auto-trans I now have. As a potential Prius buyer , I'm curious about this , too.

But remember, if you are in neutral , you aren't getting any regen.

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

You won't hurt anything, as it never physically goes into neutral.

The MGs simply freewheel.

You don't want to enter neutral above 44 ish mph, as the ICE will continue to spin and throw away regen potential as heat. But around town, no problem. You also don't want to enter N at low speed and coast above 60 mph as MG1 gets overspeed since the ICE is stopped.

I actually have grown to like using the throttle to do my gliding, but if I had elevation changes in my area, I would use N more in familiar areas.

4. pickler

pickler Well-Known Member

going from D to N is not harmful. However going from N to D at speed or with RPM above idle speed is.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I'd stick to that method, to avoid charging drag, if you want. The car won't charge in Neutral, FWIW.

6. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Yeah, my understanding is you don't want to put an HSD into neutral at high speed, because there's no such thing as neutral with a PSD-based transmission like this, and one of the MGs will end up spinning too fast to allow the engine to drop to idle speed. Just keep it in "D", feather the pedal to keep power delivery at net zero and let the system do its work.