Mazda2 EV Rotary range extender first drive review

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by priusCpilot, Nov 26, 2013.

1. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Nice try , but I can't imagine that 330cc , even in a rotary , will make enough juice for power-crazed North Americans. I'm not sold at all on range-extenders at all , unless of course it's a diesel.

3. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Well, a serial hybrid only needs the ICE to meet a bit more than the *average* power level to move the car. The electric motor has lots of torque, and the ICE only needs to drive a fixed load (the generator) at a fixed RPM, so it can be the virtual opposite of what an ICE-only vehicle needs.

A total of ~380km/236 mile range, and the genset probably runs for an hour or less. The genset is capable of charging the 20kWh battery pack in about an hour, and the range on the genset would seem to be running for an hour or less. A 330cc single rotor Wankel running at 4,000RPM can burn a gallon of gas - or maybe two?

Sounds like a pretty good thing to me.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  4. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I guess will have to wait and see before we judge.

Remember rotarys have small displacement but also have only 3 major moving parts. This gives it much less mechanical power loss. Since it has a much faster combustion phase. It acts like a larger sized piston engine

A 330cc single rotary would be comparable to a 3 cyl 660cc piston engine.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  5. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

6. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

If you build it they will come!

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'd hope that they offer the car with the range extender as an option that could be easily added down the road. This could be pretty interesting.

IF they ever grow a big enough pair to actually try to compete with the "big boys" in the
    BEV world.

8. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Love the idea...somehow a range extender makes more sense to me than a hybrid. My rough idea had been to put a Honda generator in the trunk of a Leaf or something :D

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, BEVx absolutely makes sense. Engine acts as a range anxiety remover and a heater in the very conditions most likely to cause range anxiety.

At least for now. If batteries keep improving and getting cheaper, at a certain point the benefit of extra capacity for range, performance, charging speed and longevity will outweigh the benefits of having the range extender.

10. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I agree though, I think it'd be interesting to see a train-like genset one motor on each wheel...allow the ICE to run in a narrower band of RPM's and be able to tune it accordingly. Could be a great combo provided the losses running through the genset aren't too great. Sounds ideal for a diesel or atkinsonized gasoline engine. Even better to make it a mild hybrid with a battery pack to recover potential energy and/or store some energy from the genset on glides. Or optionally switch the engine off on glides plus offer a full EV mode for short trips, at least long enough to get off the freeway and find a gas station, antique store, or restaurant...:D. Be able to leave engine on to help charge batteries too while you are away from the vehicle. Lastly, maybe offer a plugin and/or solar panels to help charging out too. Lots of possibilities?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013