...skyactive...mileage that hybrids would only dream of?

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by Mendel Leisk, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Just noticed this ad from Mazda, claiming a Mazda3 with Skyactiv Technology achieves mileage "that hybrids would only dream of".

The numbers shown are:

40 MPG or 7.1 L/100km City
    58 MPG or 4.9 L/100km Highway

This being a Canadian ad, the MPG's are noted in a disclaimer as being miles per Imperial Gallon. And I believe the Canadian test methods yield better results than the (more realistic) US tests.

New high in hyperbole? Help or hinder?

Even just as a trying duffer, I know I can do a little better than 7.1 liters per 100 km around town, with our 3rd gen Prius, LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-4eBM-RAs

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Even in Imperial gallons that is still very impressive for a non hybrid. :)

3. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I normally come in at 3 ltr. per 100 Kil. in town Mendel! H

4. Mendel Leisk

Yeah, this is my beef: prius city epa is way below the Mazda3 city rating (in liters per 100 km system, where lower numbers are better), shown in the ad. It's mileage is commendable for a non-hybrid, but their ad agency is, well, lying. (I know: wake up.)

That's disgusting, I'm jealous. Our's is actually sitting at 3.4 (displayed on the dash), but that's only because we just tanked up and reset it, and just drove a bit with fully warmed engine.

Our last tank was more-or-less all around-town, and very good for us: 4.6 calculated. Yeah, I know...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Complain to the appropriate advertising authorities, pointing out the larger hybrids that achieve better mileage. Mazda will be forced remove their advert.

6. Mendel Leisk

Gave that a try, contacted Advertising Standards Canada, will post if anything comes of it.

For reference, here's the liter/100km numbers:

Mazda3 (numbers from the ad):

7.1 L/100km City
    4.9 L/100km Highway

2012 Prius (numbers from Natural Resources Canada):

3.7 L/100km City
    4.0 L/100km Highway

7. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

The comment "that hybrids would only dream of". is the part that doesn't make sense when you're comparing the city mileage number of 33 mpg U.S..

I'm betting the claim that hybrids would only dream of is on the highway mileage number of 48 mph U.S..

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Except that this is Canada, where the numbers are like CAFE numbers that most of the hybrids match or beat:

Try here:
    http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/fuelratings/ratings-search.cfm

Search and sort by fuel economy. Not the Toyotas at the top that'll beat it. And look farther down the list and you'll see the HSH beats it and the KOH matches it on the highway.

And there are new and updated Ford hybrids to come that'll just add to the list

LIAR, LIAR, MAZDA CANADA PANTS ON FIRE.

It might also be worth letting Toyota Canada know. I'm sure they'd be happy to weigh in.

9. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

We often dream about what we are not and can not be.

Maybe they are suggesting that hybrids dream of being gas guzzlers. Ever think about that? :D

Jokes aside, they should be ashamed of themselves and take this dishonest advertisement down.

10. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

This is really too bad. Mazda's new Skyactiv system is GREAT. Too bad they felt the need to make overly ambitious claims in advertising. Just letting it stand on its own merits would be enough.

2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv US epa
    28 city, 40 hwy, 33 combined

2012 Prius
    51 city, 48 hwy, 50 combined

11. Mendel Leisk

There's a lot of that going around. I took your statement and reworked it:

This is really too bad. Toyota Prius' mileage is GREAT. Too bad they felt the need to make overly ambitious claims in their in-dash display of mileage. Just letting it stand on its own merits would be enough.

Maybe the slumbering hybrid Mazda has in mind is a Highlander, LOL.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  12. Mendel Leisk

Good point. Might give that a try, if I can find a contact. And will post any response.