Loosing weight for better mpg

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by 2011accent, Jul 24, 2012.

1. 2011accent

2011accent Well-Known Member

I have been overweight since having my tonsils removed at eight allowed easier intake of bacon. I now think hypermiling could be the thing that would drive me to my goals of being slimmer. Does anyone else feel this motivation?

2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Makes sense-I'm 180+ supposed to be 140 (5'5") weighed roughly that(ok 150) until 2003 when one single food-
    BLUE BELL HOME MADE VANILLA- 2 qts every 3 days for 2 years-put 30+lbs on me.

It is very difficult to take 40 lbs off a car without removing seats or spare or something that is actually important to function(easier with Suburban-took 140 lbs of seats and it is still 4 passenger)

Makes sense-do it!
    30 lbs is 1% of the weight of a car-dropping it will improve city mpg by maybe 1/2%(pure guess)
    Besides it will be easier on your knees back heart diabetes risk-!!

Charlie

3. alvaro84

alvaro84 Homura-chan's selfishness

Well, according to my experience, a whole additional 160-lb passenger adds less than 10 percent to the fuel consumption, including the changes in aero (I'm talking about a motorcycle) - so the weight I should lose (I'm not overweight at all) could not be even measured in the FE. But I could really get rid of that extra 13-14 pounds, to perfectly fit in my Reisen Udongein Inaba cosplay again.

Does anyone feel this motivation? :D :D :D

(I have next to no bacon intake, so I'm trying to exercise - better than nothing, and keeps me healthy. And gets me extra stamina points.)

4. phoebeisis

alvaro---perfectly fit in my Reisen Udongein Inaba cosplay again
    Gotta ask-what is that thing you need to fit in ?
    Charlie

5. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

One reason I turn down Wayne for these cross country drives. I don't want to put a weight penalty on the fuel mileage.

By the first of the year I will be in my WR capable weight class. :D

Did I tell you how much I love my new tread mill? :p

6. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Charlie, ice cream is one of the essential food groups.. btw you wont gain weight if eat the whole 2 quarts (dont try it with the gallon size) in one sitting before it melts.. thats what I do and it works.

7. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Ah, there's ice cream, and then there's Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla. That stuff is a gift from above!

8. this reminds me, I just saw a receipe for chocolate covered bacon

9. alvaro84

A very, ummm, special outfit :D

10. phoebeisis

alvaro-Okaaaaay!

Herm PaleM -Hmmm I gave it up-sorta- 2 years ago-down to about 178 from 185.

I would literally got thru 2 qts in 2.5 days.
    I put it in 2% milk-with Nestles Quik-and I would add ASPARTANE- right-Ice Cream wasn't sweet enough
    Then I switched to Hersheys Cocoa Powder(son insisted something about Mandelas X- wife owning some cocoa plantation that exploited workers and selling it to Nestles so I switched to Hersheys unsweetened Cocoa- with sugar and Aspartane added!!!_
    In a REAL GLASS GLASS- no crummy plastic.
    Like Pale says Homade Vanilla-gift from above!!

The StepChild-Chocolate bacon-love bacon love chocolate- sounds disgusting! Probably pretty good!
    Charlie

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  11. herm

herm Well-Known Member

oookay... how do you put on a helmet over those ears?

12. Gairwyn

Gairwyn think green

Maybe you guys could figure out a way to apply the concepts of hypermiling to your diet. Instead of lowering your gallons of gas used you'd be lowering your calorie count.

Think of bacon as really high-viscosity oil, and ice cream as AC?

13. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

Personally, I've got a bodybugg and a desire to lose the weight. I'm down 30 pounds from February, and plan to hit 40-50 pounds by the end October. The bodybugg is like a scanguage for the body ;).

14. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Pulse and glide of the dieting world is a Dr Atkins binge on 1 lb of bacon and then a quick visit to the bathroom where it all glides away :)

15. alvaro84

I don't - this outfit rests in the top case until I park at the con. Then I change. I would never ride in such a poor 'armor'.

16. alvaro84

That's more like pouring a can of gasoline on the ground then throwing a burning match-stick in it :eyebrow:

17. PaleMelanesian

After a couple months of working up to it, I reached my goal this morning.

100 pushups.

3 sets, 34, 33, 33 each. 2 months ago I could only to 12,12,12. Every Monday, Wed, Fri I do three sets, adding at least +1 or even better +2 to the previous workout's numbers.

I don't have any weight to lose. I'm trying to build up some mass, in fact. I'm currently at 150 lb (68kg) and 6'2" (188 cm).

18. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Way to go Andrew! That is an impressive feat!

That said, high reps like this tends not build mass. You are building strength-endurance which will give a leaner defined look. The range you need to be in for hypertrophy (gain mass) is 8-12 reps at failure (or close to it) by the end of the set. 3 sets is good with a good amount of recovery time.

It is best to use weights and a spotter. If you don't have either try buying a 20 lb weight vest (or several) and elevating your feet by putting them on a bench or a chair to make it harder. 40lbs of vest and rear foot elevated 18" is just about right for me. I'm 5'10" 180lb. You will also need to work your whole body to gain noticeable mass so you need a comprehensive program if you don't have one already.

You also need to look at your diet. Are you eating enough calories to gain weight? You can workout all you want but if you are not eating enough your body will direct the calories to essential brain and body functions and not to building muscle mass. Are you eating enough protein? Most people eat (myself included :) ) eat more carbs and fat than we need and not enough quality protein. Carbs and Fat can not be converted to muscle. Proteins are the building blocks your body needs for muscle mass.

I can direct you to more information if you are interested. You can PM me if you want to take it off-line.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  19. PaleMelanesian

Wow. Good stuff. I can see you know what you're talking about.

Sounds close enough to on-topic to me - fitness and nutrition are definitely related to losing weight. Any suggestions for good sites / forums?

Yeah, I have been researching as I go and found that this isn't the best way to build mass. I've added a little to my the pecs and triceps and toned my abs. Now that I've reached 100, I'll be mixing it up. I like your suggestions of adding weight and elevating my feet.

Eating - yep. I'm probably not taking in enough.

20. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

OK, Andrew, here we go. I competed for years and now coach in a sport with weight classes, so I know how to gain weight, lose weight, and strength train independent of weight gain/loss. I am by no means an expert, but I can get you pointed in the right direction.

First I think it is important for anyone trying to gain/lose weight to understand the calorie balance for their body. In its most basic form you have:

Calories In - Calories Burned = Calories Stored.

Calories In is what you eat.

Calories Burned = Basal Metabolism + Exercise

Calories Stored = Body mass, fat & muscle depending on activity level.

Obviously if you want to gain weight Calories In > Calories Burned and and vice versa to lose weight.

Calories Burned: You can calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR) per day using the following formula, The Harris-Benedict equation for BMR. This is akin to the EPA numbers for your body.

For men: (13.75 x w) + (5 x h) - (6.76 x a) + 66
    For women: (9.56 x w) + (1.85 x h) - (4.68 x a) + 655

Where w= your weight (kg), h= your height (cm), and a= your age. Notice the number will change as you gain/lose weight. (http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php)

For me it is about 1820 cal per day.

Now, this is my base metabolism and now I need to adjust to my activity level. One thing you can do is estimate your workouts and add that into those days. Look up running, cal per hour, etc. The other thing you can do which is easier is use this reference chart multiply by your BMR:

Activity
    Factor--------Category--------------Definition

1.2..............Sedentary................Little or no exercise and desk job
    1.375..........Lightly Active................Light exercise or sports 1-3 days a week
    1.55................Moderately Active................Moderate exercise or sports 3-5 days a week
    1.725................Very Active................Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week4
    1.9................Extremely Active................Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job

I'm about a 1.55 so that would put me at 1820 * 1.55 = 2820 cal/day for zero weight loss/gain.

Calories In: I recommend starting a food log & exercise log. This is your ScanGauge & Mileage Log. Get a small notepad and carry it with you everywhere. Jot down everything you eat and quantity thereof. There are probably some good Smartphone Apps out there too. Get a scale for home and estimate things when you are out. Once every day or two, sit down and your computer and look up the caloric content and the amount of fat, protien, & carbs for everything you ate and enter it is a spread sheet. This sounds time consuming and it is at first, but after a couple of weeks it is really fast since people tend to eat a lot of the same things. After a couple of months you will have built the intuition necessary to drop the practice altogether if you chose.

Gaining and Losing Weight

Now that you know what the EPA numbers for your body and your actual consumption, it is time to focus on gaining or losing weight.

Losing Fat: 1 lb of fat = 3500 calories eaten in excess of need

If you want to lose 1 lb per month, then eat ~120 cal less than you burn each day and it will come off in time.

Building muscle
    is a little more complex, but it seems that it is likely about 1800-3500 calories depending on a variety of factors. As I mentioned in an earlier post it is important that these extra calories are high quality protein primarily.