Coasting with the AT

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by V8toilet, Jul 8, 2012.

1. V8toilet

V8toilet Member

I have the Mazda CX-5 with the automatic transmission. This automatic locks up the converter after 5 mph and operates like a automated manual throughout the 6 gears. it feels a lot like a manual transmission in its direct feel and the RPM coincide with vehicle speed instead of throttle position. I know in some modern manual transmission equipped cars the computer will shut off the fuel to the engine when the car is coasting in gear to save fuel. Does anyone know if that could be true for a vehicle like the Mazda CX-5?

I'm afraid to let it coast in neutral and put it back in gear while the car is moving for fear of damaging the transmission or causing excessive wear. 6th gear is so tall though that is coasts really well in it.

Also new to this site, great information here. Just starting using the techniques I'm learning here for about 90 miles now (from 1/2 tank) and my AVG MPG went from 31.8 to 34.6.

2. abcdpeterson

abcdpeterson Well-Known Member

I would bet it can.
    I found an post with someone talking about there Mazda 6, DFCO, and the scangauge.

If your thinking of getting an instant fuel gauge, it would tell you. it would also give you a lot of helpful info to improve mileage.

DFCO is not as helpful as many think. Knowing if your car will go into DFCO will help if you need to slow your car down. I recommend people concentrate on driving to avoid the need to slow down, and using momentum to get you as far as you can.

BTW: It's cool to hear your transmission locks up and acts like a manual. :woot:

3. shadescape

shadescape Banned

shocking that the TQ locks up at 5mph

interested -I'm thinking about a 2013 CX5

4. V8toilet

V8toilet Member

yeah, wanted to get the manual transmission CX5 but all the ones on the east coast sold in about a week. Every time I found one on line and called I just missed it. After driving this AT though I'm starting to forget about the manual since its so much like a manual that shifts automatically.

5. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

V8, I had a similar experience when I went to buy my FIT. 2 month wait for a MT so I opted for the 5-speed AT with the paddle shifters. Bonus for the wife we does not like to drive MT.

How do you know that the TC is locked out at 5mph? Is this based on "feel" or something else?

My AT feels the same when I am in "S" mode, where the car says in the gear you pick unless you red-line it or drop below 1000 rpm. Not really sure the TC is locked but the car does seem to respond much more like a MT with response to throttle, etc. My sense was that there was actually A LOT of slip and the TC was stiffening up do to viscous forces which is different than the lock triggering. Just a hunch.

It is a fun way to drive but I actually have gotten my best mileage in the automated "D" mode while using the paddles to pick my up-shift points. The bonus is that it is easy to go in and out of N without pressing the button on the shifter. In this mode my TC lock will kick in in 3rd gear at about 22 mph and will stay locked down to about 18 mph.

For now I am still improving using the D mode with the paddles and various hypermiling techniques. I will probably experiment more with "S" mode once I have maxed out what I am doing now.

6. V8toilet

V8toilet Member

I know because Mazda says the Skyactive transmission locks up at 5 MPH and continues to stay locked up throughout the 6 gears and also by the way it feels. With a traditional automatic if I press the accelerator pedal the RPM responds/ climbs with the movement of the accelerator pedal because of the toque converter slippage. With the Mazda transmission if I press the accelerator pedal the RPM doesn't climb with the pedal movement and I hear the engine under load just like it would if it were a manual transmission. The RPM only climbs in relation to vehicle speed not in relation to how much I press the accelerator pedal with my foot.

7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

8. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

NICE! Go Mazda! :woot:

9. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I dont think thats how it works.

10. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Herm, not sure what you are commenting on. Could you elaborate? Thanks.

11. herm

herm Well-Known Member

"Mazda says the Skyactive transmission locks up at 5 MPH and continues to stay locked up throughout the 6 gears"

12. V8toilet

V8toilet Member

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I like the sound of THAT. Wonder if this is the same auto used in the 3 ?

14. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Edwin:

Three replies in a row? WTH ;)

The SKYATIV AT in the CX-5 and 3 are the same technology albeit different dimensionally. The non-SKYACTIV 3 uses their older engine and tranny design.

V8, do not worry about coasting in N. It can save fuel in some circumstances of course but more importantly could potentially save your life someday too.

Wayne

15. Topher

Topher Captain

Silly greencarcongress article, the TC isnt' a 6-speed, the tranny is!

These articles mostly focus on accleration. For those that have the SKYACTIV AT, how does it behave in decel? Does it disengage the TCLU, so that when you go to reacclerate, there isn't a harsh lunge (doing so would also reduce engine braking).