Chrysler’s 300 Achieves Best-In-Class Fuel Economy???

Discussion in 'Chrysler' started by xcel, Dec 28, 2011.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]23 mpgUS with the 8-speed, 21 mpgUS with the 5-speed and just 19 mpgUS with the Hemi should be called best-in-class “SUCK”.

[fflash=right]http://www.youtube.com/v/DOrBrgpEUBU?version=3[/fflash]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Dec. 27, 2011

Remember the RAM commercial "My name is RAM and my Tank is Full”?

My name is RAM and my “Tank is Full” ... I am fueled by optimism; I am driven by passion and stopped by nothing …

Fortunately the 2012 RAM 2500 Pickup with the 6.7L I6 Cummins and the all-new 0.625 6th, 3.42 final and stock 70 series 17’s allow the powerful HD RAM pickup to make that claim as the monster is turning over just 1,372 RPM’s at 60 mph. This is the best calculated RPM@60 mph in the HD truck segment!

The all-new 2012 Chrysler 300

Unfortunately there has been a recent Chrysler commercial release claiming the all-new 300 has the best-in-class highway fuel economy at just 31 mpgUS. Every time I hear it I wince thinking a 300 with a 31 mpgUS highway has got to be rated with a rather ugly combined let alone what does best-in-class mean? Best in class against European Sports cars? US full-sized luxury cars? All cars with 8-speed AT’s? US based Pickup trucks? We will get to that in a moment…

The all-new Chrysler 300 Luxury Series Sedan was designed to be the most luxurious and fuel-efficient Chrysler flagship sedan ever. It combines ultra-premium leather -- can you say Corinthian ;) -- once limited to some of the most exotic Italian luxury cars along. Actually it is dressed with the highest grade Italian “Poltrona Frau leather in either Black or Mochachino Poltrona Frau “Foligno” ” (do not bother asking me what that means because just like Corinthian, I do not know?) leather-wrapped instrument panel, cluster brow, center console side panels and upper front- and rear-door panels. Premium Nappa leather covers the door armrest, bolster and center console armrest. Black or two-tone Mochachino seats are wrapped exclusively in supple Nappa leather and include 12-way power-adjustable driver and front-passenger seats (including four-way power lumbar) with two-mode ventilation and two-mode heated seats for both front and rear passengers. Black or two-tone Mochachino leather-wrapped steering wheel — with all-new die-cast paddle shifters — features a unique chrome accent ring to highlight the segment-exclusive 360-degree heated rim. Completing the interior environment is specially selected Natural Pore Mocha wood trim featuring a matte finish to enhance the beauty of the real wood.

2012 Chrysler 300 Interior

[​IMG]
    One thing for sure, the 300's interior looks pretty darn inviting.​

All of this was designed to deliver a surprising combination of world class craftsmanship and style. Chrysler is also claiming to have a good handle claiming their flagship arrives with world-class refinement and handling which for their sake, I surely hope it does?

It does have one thing going for it from the drivetrain side of the fence. That being the all-new 8-speed AT.

The new 2012 Chrysler 300 Luxury Series expands the Chrysler flagship sedan with the Pentastar V-6 engine and 363 horsepower 5.7L HEMI V-8 engine with Fuel Saver Technology. At 19 mpgUS combined, the HEMI is anything but fuel efficient.

Infotainment – A Chrysler highpoint as of late

The Chrysler 300 arrives with premium amenities including the segment’s largest touchscreen infotainment system (8.4-inch) Uconnect Touch 8.4N with Garmin navigation, SiriusXM Traffic and SiriusXM Travel Link, LED-illuminated instrument cluster with driver-selectable color EVIC, power tilt and telescoping steering column with memory, power-adjustable pedals with memory, power backlight sunshade, premium 18-ounce Berber floor mats satin chrome lower door sills with “Chrysler” logo, dual heated/cooled cup holders, ambient lit foot well lighting, LED illuminated interior door handles and front and rear map pockets, premium carpeted trunk mat, HomeLink universal transceiver and power exterior mirrors with memory, driver mirror auto-dimming and auto-tilt in Reverse.

Pricing

The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (including $825 destination) of these Chrysler 300 models is as follows:
    • Chrysler 300 Luxury Series (RWD): $40,145
    • Chrysler 300 Luxury Series (AWD): $42,495
    • Chrysler 300C Luxury Series (RWD): $42,895
    • Chrysler 300C Luxury Series (AWD): $45,245
    Drivetrain

The 2012 Chrysler 300 is the first domestic luxury sedan to feature an eight-speed automatic transmission. This new segment-exclusive eight-speed AT expands the world-class power and fuel-efficiency of the 2012 Chrysler 300 Luxury Series and delivers class-leading fuel efficiency including what Chrysler is calling “Best-in-class” highway fuel economy (31 highway mpg), V-6 AWD fuel economy (18 city and 27 highway mpg), combined fuel economy (23 with RWD, 21 with AWD), unsurpassed city fuel economy (19 city mpg RWD, 18 mpg AWD) and overall unsurpassed fuel economy in its class (19 city and 31 highway mpg with RWD)?

The addition of three more gear ratios in the proven ZF eight-speed automatic transmission design help to reduce the gaps normally associated with upshifting and downshifting. Combined with the award-winning 292 horsepower 3.6L Pentastar V-6, passengers should experience world-class levels of refinement due to small, evenly spaced ratios that provide quicker acceleration and smoother shifts.

Delivering up to a 17 percent fuel economy improvement compared with the previous generation six-cylinder Chrysler 300 AWD models, the new 2012 Chrysler 300 Luxury Series AWD combines the new eight-speed automatic transmission, fuel-efficient 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine and the segment’s most advanced AWD system for maximum all-weather traction and efficiency.

Conclusions

When equipped with the HEMI, Ford’s more powerful and quicker 3.5L EcoBoost is just 1 mpg shy of the 2012 300 so “best-in-class” anything with the HEMI it is not. With a 106 cu. ft. interior and 16 cu. ft. of cargo cap in the trunk, it is slightly larger than the mid-size Sonata (104/16 cu. ft. passenger/cargo respectively) but well off the mark of the 2012 Infiniti M35h’s 29 mpgUS combined, 2013 GS450h’s 31 mpgUS combined and 2012 BMW 528i's 27 mpgUS combined ratings. Fortunately in this comparison, all three are slightly smaller and far more expensive than the all-new 300.

For my $'s and any CleanMPG'ers, the 2013 Dodge Dart is Chryslers next shot at a big hit with a fuel efficient mindset. The all-new 2012 300? Not so much.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. Indigo

Indigo Witch with wry sense of humor

But.... Is Chrysler's *quality* best in class? Or do Chryslers still disintegrate the nanosecond the warranty expires?

3. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

For $40,000 I'd rather have a Volt.

4. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

For $40K, i would rather have my SX4 and my Kizashi, with enough money left over to take a couple of all inclusive vacations to Punta Cana.

5. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

To each their own. Compared to its competitors, the 300 does quite well. It competes in a much broader category than the Sonata comparison implies. It might not deliver all the goods of a 7 series, nor the fuel economy of a hyundai sonata, but it provides a good compromise between the two.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Bullfinch armchair woman* "little paper?"

* Obviously borrowed from German

7. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

For that kind of money I would splurge on a Challenger SRT8 with a six speed manual transmission. :D

8. Pavel4

Pavel4 Well-Known Member

I don't know about theRAM vehicles, but the commercial is an insult to the buying (or not buying in my case) public.

9. waltermlee

waltermlee Well-Known Member

Ram Pickups and the 300 luxury Series Sedans are
    not designed to be fuel efficient and the people
    where I live who buy them normally are more focused
    on how fast they can accelerate and what top speed
    they can reach ( and maybe how loud the engine
    sounds when it is pushed at full throttle). More or
    less it is a testosterone like issue with most
    people who buy these types of vehicles - its not
    a rational but an emotional decision.

I think a Lithium Polymer battery based hybrid
    like the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is where the top FE
    technology for sedans/cars will eventually go
    while trucks will lean towards some sort of
    diesel powerplants.

BTW: Chrysler's flat vertical front grill-fender-bumper
    design will do the maximum damage to any thing it
    hits and will likely kill a pedestrian on contact.
    Gently curved front grill-fender-bumper designs like
    the Prius, VW Bug, or Volt will do much less damage
    and in a frontal collision OR a pedestrian. A gently
    sloping front end grill-fender will minimize
    the physical trauma to a pedestrian. Essentially
    Chrysler's signature aggressively styled front-end
    grill design threatens pedestrians in front of it
    with a get-out-of-my-way-or-you-are-roadkill
    visual cue. Not anything a RPG couldnt handle but
    most pedestrians dont carry anything like that...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  10. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Waltermlee:

Please save the blame for the driver. Buying a car that (arguably) causes less damage to pedestrians does not make you safer on the road. Flying in a Prius at 80+mph does not make you safer than a 300 at 50mph. That said, any vehicle over 40mph is a deadly weapon in any direction at any time. The driver is the one pointing the vehicle.

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

On the other hand, the pedestrian is the moron who stepped in front of the moving car. I totally respect people using crosswalks correctly, but I don't see many of them using the crosswalks correctly(legally).
    On a side note.......... friends don't let friends buy Chryslers.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

It's a mixed bag.

My wife has nearly been hit by driver failing to yield. In this country, the desire not to stop traffic means that very often traffic just has a yield on turning when there's a parallel walk. In my wife's cases one was a driver was going right on red the other was a dumb driver who went round a car that had stopped for her to cross.

My wife has nearly run over a guy on a crosswalk downtown. You might think that would be my wife's fault, but he was essentially stepping out between parked cars. Our small city puts parking spaces close to crosswalks which is frankly ridiculous. Growing up, a common pedestrian safety message was "Don't cross between parked cars" because you aren't visible and with the larger vehicles in the USA that's doubly true. The pedestrian should have noticed the issue and been more careful, but a crosswalk should be a safer place to cross.

Another thing that makes crosswalks more difficult, around here at least, is that they are often just two stripes painted across the road accompanied by the yellow warning signs. Given winter erosion, difficult sunlight, and larger vehicles around you, often there's little sign of them or a pedestrian until it's too late.

Well, if someone wants to buy a Chrysler, I wouldn't discourage them as long as a main motivation for choosing it is that it's manufactured in the USA. I love the Prius, but I bought $20,000 of trade deficit when I bought it.

13. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

How about cyclists who get hit by imbecile drivers not looking before pulling out? Been there, done that. Pedestrian impact standards make cars safer for those who don't have the benefit of high strength steel safety cages.

14. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

A friend of a friend got mowed down when a driver ran a red light. She died at the hospital.

Here's the story:

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Man-charged-in-fatality-2273525.php

15. herm

herm Well-Known Member

That guy with 10 suspensions, DUI?

16. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

Its a step in the right direction....why is everyone here so negative about it? Its not Prius...and its not serving the same target market.... what other full-size RWD near luxury car gets same numbers or better???

Genesis, Taurus (FWD), Avalon (FWD), LaCrosse (except 4 cyl with ECO).... I don't think any of them matches 300 ....except may be 2013 Taurus w/EcoBoost ....

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  17. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

seriously? people buy vehicles based on how much damage (or lack there of) they do to pedestrians? ... wow!

i love Chryslers and always will (MOPAR man), but nowadays, in this economy, i need to think of the future and try to get something that meets all my financial needs/wants for a given purpose (commuter). if the Dart can best my LRE and keep my payments low... then it's gonna be time to trade.

was actually looking at the new minivans, but the lack of unlimited drivetrain warranty turned me off. supposedly they can get 32MPGave for an average driver with the "economizer mode" turned on.. which rocks! (getting 24-25 on my Honey's ride on long trips....) buuuuutttt.......past history of Chrysler trannys are not something to be fixing every 20k-50k miles.... so far, we are at 31k and no issues yet.. :)

as far as the 300 is concerned... looked at one today and it was SWEET!!! plenty of power and not too bad mpgs, but still, can't get into it for the same outlay as the LRE.

18. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the Dart can beat the Elantra in efficiency. Wake me up when Chrysler offers the Fiat 500 with TwinAir.

19. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

well, if it does, next step will be ... is it comfortable?

i was seriously looking at the Cruz eco until i sat in it. awwww HE&& NO!!! if i had a 10 year old butt, it might be OK, but i don't like being pinched sitting in a seat.

after that, it's all about the moolah!

wife already gave me the raised eyebrow look when i first saw the Dart show up.... "if it meets/exceeds criteria, Honey." man i love her!!!

20. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, Ricardo. :ccry: