So I drove a LEAF today.....

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by killer6795, Oct 29, 2011.

1. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

Wow, I imagined it would be a cool experience, but I had no idea I would enjoy it so much.

I took my wife's Nissan to the dealership (far western Chicago suburbs) for an oil change and there was a LEAF parked there, next to the charging station. Of course after dropping off wife's car at the service department, I made a beeline to the LEAF. I was hoping to get a chance to sit in it.... a salesman came up and asked if I wanted to take it for a drive. Um, yes I said calmly. (I was totally geeked out though and could barely keep the goofy grin off my face).

He pulled it around and gave me a quick rundown and we were off, cruising on a mini test track shared by surrounding car dealerships. What a thrill, the quietness is by far the strangest sensation, otherwise it just felt like a normal (very well-built) car. He kept wanting me to stop and "gun it". I did it once just for fun and it certainly was that, fun. Smooth as glass and instant torque - and no noise whatsoever.

The LEAF they have isn't for sale yet. It's basically a demo for people who are pre-ordering the LEAF to drive. I asked how many people have signed up and he rolled his eyes and said, "too many to count". Which is of course salesman speak for "quite a few".

I know my mini-test drive was just that, mini, but I could tell right away that Nissan has done a really nice job putting this car together. It felt very solid and the interior is simply awesome, with plenty of room (I'm 6'-3"). I'm happy to hear so many people are signed up even in chilly Chicago. It certainly would make a great additional commuter car if you have the means, which at this point I do not. Someday though...... first I have to work on getting this goofy grin off my face......

2. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

You lucky guy. I would love to drive one! H

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Oh man!! I'm SOOO jealous!!

4. herm

herm Well-Known Member

some people report an irritable motor whine as you drive along.

5. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Nice! I'm in the same boat ... would have one if I could afford it, but won't be in the budget for a few years. I found it drove just like a Prius -- smooth, almost silent takeoff with a faint electric whine ... except the engine never comes on no matter how fast you go or how hard you stomp it. Oh, and it corners a heckuva a lot better. :D

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

When I first drove my Prius it was anti-climactic. I hope my first drive of a BEV or long-range PHEV is as enjoyable an experience as killer's.

7. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

I didn't really notice any kind of whining from the motor. Granted, I was nowhere near highway speeds, so maybe it exists at higher speeds. It was more like a gentle whirring sensation, and I only noticed that under heavy acceleration.

8. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

If you're a sci-fi fan, you don't hear any "whine" from the parts - all you hear are "spaceship noises" which makes them infinitely cooler than any "whine." :D