You know you hypermile in Slovenia, when...

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by corvette, Jun 2, 2011.

1. corvette

corvette just 1:18 ;-)

... as in many other European countries, there is a great site about finding other people driving/commuting. The principle is very simple: you post an ad, drive for X persons available/wanted "from ... to ..." Fee is minimal, just a few euros for most 80-150 km distances.

To get a better picture, that is half the value for used gas or 1/3 or 1/4 of total costs for a car owner for given distance. Going with bus or train takes up to twice more time and costs.

Today the tax inspectors shut down the site. Cause: illegal work and services, no tax paying etc.

I'm sure those criminal offenses and huge tax money missing from the treasury must outweight all the time and money saved for both parties in the car, not to mention way lower CO2 footprint.

I won't go into politics how some people can get thru with unpayed taxes of $5 value - followed of course by "a few" zeroes. But let's be strict with those students, willing to contribute a few bucks to what is a loss in any case - driving expenses.

For those interested in, a Google translation.

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Sad day when the state outlaws cost sharing...

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, there's sharing and then there's running an unlicensed taxi service. (But there's also lobbying.)

Go Maine actually advocates carpooling and splitting expenses, suggesting $0.50/mi. I guess if you stick to a typical cost per mile the authorities won't come after you. Of course, since I drive a Prius I think I can do better than $0.50/mi. ;)

(I'm now carpooling 2 days a week. When I'm not driving it saves Civic miles. I could also work from home 1 day per week, but due to having a better setup at work I'm more productive there so I only work from home when I have a specific need to be out of the office.)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  4. corvette

corvette just 1:18 ;-)

I agree. But in this case, it was 100 % sharing. Simply when one had a free seat in the car for morning commute or weekend student transfer (from home region to university), they've posted an ad, offering the seat for a small fee. Which couldn't cover even half the costs as in any case the driver was still on the negative side with the expenses (unless he put 4 persons in the car, thus being on positive zero).

OK, maybe Wayne or Chuck Norris could prove otherwise and actually make a fortune of this semi-volunteer service :D

5. alvaro84

alvaro84 Homura-chan's selfishness

I always liked the idea of carpooling, though I can't do it: my working schedule is quite unique and no one in my shift lives where I do. So I went with 'splitting' instead of 'sharing' and I commute with a motorcycle. I'm definitely better off than that $0.5 per mile, counting all the cost: ~0.09$/mi for fuel and ~$0.13/mi for maintenance, insurance and taxes so far. Price is 0.08$/mi if I spread it over 100,000km (~62k miles) - I don't know any exact figure here, I'm at 52,000+km now.

And there must be a legal way to support carpooling. It's just unimaginable that a government wants to depend on foreign oil so much that they even criminalize a site just because of it. If nothing else is there, it must have been a mistake, some lobby, or plain stupidity :rolleyes:

And I'd like to work from home too... that's a really straightforward way to save fuel.

6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Sounds like it's time for a new website to replace it. ;)

7. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

+1... imagine if they did that here...craigslist would be under fire.

8. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Well-Known Member

I was on Koper last Sunday, what a beautiful town!!