My Icebx

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by akxb, Mar 26, 2007.

1. akxb

akxb Well-Known Member

So here's my ride:
    2006 scion xb with 5speed.
    Since I started trying to increase mileage I've inflated to 45psi, put in a K&N filter, removed air box snorkel, and most important of all I have been using the scan gauge. Also more for aethetics I purchased alloy wheels for summer, but picked out the lightest ones I could afford which are about 5lbs lighter than stock steelies.

I live in Alaska and in the winter it can be a challenge to get good mileage as I'm sure it is in any cold climate. This winter especially we've had some weeks of -10 to -20 below zero weather. I run studded tires since we get allot of ice on the roads. I think ICEBOX prettly much sums up the aerodynamic look of my car, although they actually do well, infact the drag coefficient is lower than a new VW Beetle. Can't say the same about frontal area though. Most of the year I drive 90-100% city. During the short Alaskan Summer I tent to get a mix of hwy and city.
    I bought this car because it's very practical and different. Gets great mileage, cheap price, loaded standard features like all pwr accessories, traction control, stability assist, and most important it can haul my biggest RC planes like my 33% scale aerobatic plane. It has more carrying capability than my previous s-10 pickup and gets more than twice the mileage! I've averaged close to 35mpg, but just recently have I actually tried to get more. Best tank this winter so far is 46mpg, that's with cold weather and studded tires, 100% city. Can't wait till summer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Akxb:

___Do you have one of the cool shots of you in front of your XB given I would like to place it on the home page!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. akxb

akxb Well-Known Member

Sure, I will look for one when I get home tonight. I'll just post it up when I find it. Any particular size or will you edit it?

4. xcel

Hi Akxb:

___Anything larger then let's say 480 pixels in width and I will edit it down from there.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. akxb

akxb Well-Known Member

What do you mean by the home page? Are you talking about the front page when you bring up the site?
    This is the only picture I have with the car and me. It's just after it's first bath.

[​IMG]

6. xcel

Hi Akxb”

___Yup, check the home page in the morning because I think you are now “famous” … or is it “infamous” :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. CoasterToasterXB

CoasterToasterXB Well-Known Member

I like the color of your box. I think you may have made a mistake on your epa numbers on http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/22128.shtml it has our box at
    30 city 33 highway.

Where did you find your rims? - I'm kinda interested in them for my box

8. akxb

akxb Well-Known Member

From the epa this is what I saw...

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySide.jsp?column=1&id=22127

I got my rims from tirerack. They were "sportedition" however I don't thnk they made the exact same rims anymore. I got a great price I think becuase it was a closeout special. $63 a rim. But here is a link to their 15" rims that are close. I'd recoomend tirerack.com. Living in Alaska it's tough to get things shipped wihout severing limbs. I had my rims way before the estimated delivery. I was happy with the service! A couple years ago I did some research on the "sportedition" brand from tirerack and they actually are made by the same factories that produce some of the other overpriced brands that are supposedly higher quality wheels. They aren't the best but they seem decent.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?filterSize=15&filterFinish=Painted&filterBrand=Sport+Edition&filterSpecial=false&autoMake=Scion&autoModel=xB&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=&sort=Brand

9. CoasterToasterXB

CoasterToasterXB Well-Known Member

that links is for a 4 speed - i thought you had a 5 speed?
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySide.jsp?column=1&id=22128

If this is correct should I change my numbers or leave them as is?

Thanks for the link for the tires - there pretty cool. I only have one real problem. I'm afraid i will scrape them like I do now on my hubcaps. Trying to get to close to curbs has placed some deep scratches on them. Just curious how much do you think the steelies weigh?

10. akxb

akxb Well-Known Member

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. Yes I have the 5-spd.
    I know for 2008 models they are rating them with the new method but according to their website they basically retro rated previous models. So I'd say those are what the epa ratings are now. Either way we're kicking the EPAs butt!

I'm not sure about the steel wheels but I thought I saw on scionlife that someone said they were 17.5 lbs. So at 15lbs my wheels altogether are 10lbs lighter and that's a decent difference. It will be hard to find alloys that are lighter without spending serious money.
    http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=164686&highlight=stock+wheel+weight

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007