Nissan’s LEAF set to tackle the “Race to the Clouds”

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by xcel, Jun 1, 2011.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Pike’s Peak is the venue for the all-electric LEAF Hill Climb Challenge.

[fimg=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/LEAF_Pikes_Peak_Hill_Climb_Car.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - June 1, 2011

2011 Nissan LEAF – Are you ready to see some climbing action in near total silence ;)

On June 26, a Nissan LEAF will compete in the 89th Pikes Peak International Hill Climb with veteran Nissan off-road truck racing champion Chad Hord behind the wheel. The Nissan LEAF will compete in the Production Class for electric vehicles and, other than the removal of some interior parts like seats and carpets to make room for safety equipment, such as a roll cage, racing seats and safety harnesses, the LEAF will be very close to the way it left the factory.

The Pikes Peak LEAF will be powered by a Li-Ion battery composed of 48 compact modules and a high-response 80kW AC synchronous motor that generates 107 horsepower and 207 lb-ft of torque. However, unlike most of the other vehicles competing at Pikes Peak, the LEAF will have no local tailpipe emissions and will make the climb in near silence.

Ron Stukenberg, Senior Manager, Marketing Communications, Motorsports:
    The Pikes Peak Hill Climb will be the motorsports competition debut for the Nissan LEAF.

2. topcfo

topcfo Well-Known Member

This is absolutely brillant on Nissan's part...just hope nothing breaks/fails or it could spell doom for Leaf sales...

3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

lots of regen on the way down!

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I do not have the official timed results but did hear that the mildly hopped up LEAF took the EV class like a "Bolt out of the blue" :D

I will try and get a story up tomorrow if the official results are posted by then.

Wayne

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I've been looking. No Leaf results I can find.

I do know Tajima broke his 2007 record by a solid 10 seconds, setting the new record at 9:51. Over the 12.42 mile course that's an average 75 mph - crazy!

6. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

I love this story. Just puts a smile on my face imagining the spectator's reaction.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Live timing shows a very respectable time. 14:33. Not bad for a stock EV.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  8. PaleMelanesian

9. PaleMelanesian