Nissan Juke funky outside, cool fun inside

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by atlaw4u, Apr 28, 2011.

1. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

[​IMG] 27 mpg city and 32 mpg highway with the CVT.

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2011_Nissan_Juke_Exterior.jpg[/FIMG]Scott Burgess - DETROITNEWS - April 28, 2011

Before I ever got into the 2011 Nissan Juke, I was sharpening my pencil.

I was preparing to go all Chrysler 200 over it in a spate of carefully worded comparisons to turtles, puppies and Glenn Beck. (If you're not laughing or crying right now, please Google my name and Mr. Beck's.)

For starters, this compact crossover has the face of a bug. The bull nose front end and sharply angled overhang makes the Juke look like a boat, and the round headlights (the ones down low) look like fog lamps. And the elongated turn indicators on the hood look like headlights. Nothing makes sense.

The rear doors have hidden handles so it resembles a coupe, and the bulging fenders suggest it can drive through swamps or massive sand dunes. The art deco taillights look like giant commas. Making the lift gate a dangling participle, the Juke might want some better punctuation, though the taillights look cool.

There are classic curves and modern sharp edges all around its body, like a cubist's rendition of a football. There's a fine line between polarizing and repulsive, and the Juke balances perfectly on that line.

Over the week I tested the Juke, I'll admit, its design grew on me. People certainly notice it and some, particularly drivers younger than me, liked it. The Juke's exterior is like the RoboCop statue destined for Detroit. Because its mere presence will evoke so much emotion — both good and bad — the statue becomes art.

It's fun to drive... [RM]http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20110428/OPINION03/104280358/1148/auto01/Nissan-Juke-funky-outside--cool-fun-inside[/RM]

2. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

That's a whole lot of talk about how it looks. For all care I would drive in a car covered with turds (assuming they were aerodynamic), as long as I got good value and function out of it.

I suppose the seats-folded cargo figure is useful for a lot of folks -- single folks on moving day, couples who might want to drag home some treasure from the antique store on an out of town jaunt -- hell, I've been in both of those situations many times myself. But those of us with families have judge a car's roadtrip capabilities based on the cargo capacity with the seats up. Can't strap the kids to the roof, last I checked the laws in my state. And by the seats-up cargo measurement, the Juke is a Joke. Most small sedans have more space.

Why not get a Versa hatch, with nearly twice the cargo space, for less money? Admittedly at MSRP any Versa hatch but the stripped base model is a bit expensive for what it is ... and yet is still a much better value than the Juke. Of course for those to whom cars are clothing, go right ahead and get a Juke and enjoy all your conversations about the looks.

3. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

I like it ! (not the premium fuel requirement)

4. wokwithm

wokwithm Well-Known Member

Still not likey the style. Nissan could just put that 1.6 Turbo on the Cube and call it a day.

5. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

No way I can bring myself to buy such a monstrosity, when there are much more eye and wallet pleasing alternatives in the market that are offered. I say Nissan is loosing it, just like Honda. First this, and then Murano convertible. Whats next, Frontier with GT-R face???