2011 NYIAS - New 2012 Nissan Versa Promises Much More FE For a Similar Buck

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by xcel, Apr 21, 2011.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] An area where the Versa needed the most help has been addressed somewhat…

[fflash=right]http://www.youtube.com/v/nZrKl_wyLcY?version=3[/fflash]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - April 20, 2011

All-new 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan – $10,990 to start and 30/37/33 mpgUS city/highway/combined on the 08 EPA. And a lot of “available’s”.

There are myriad ways the all-new 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan breaks new ground for entry-level compact sedans. And many ways to sum them all up. But perhaps a simple statement is best: Innovation Within Reach.

The all-new Versa Sedan is said to be a ‘clean sheet’ design with a ton of other promises that have yet to be proven one way or the other.

Nissan’s new Versa Sedan is a five-passenger compact with some “available” niceties including Bluetooth, NAVI with a 5-inch touch-screen, Satellite Radio and an iPod®/USB interface. No pricing detail on these “available” options was provided.

The new Versa Sedan’s interior volume of 90.0 cubic feet (just touching the C-segment) and trunk volume of 14.8 cubic feet (104.8 cubic feet total) looks great on a spec sheet when comparing to larger vehicles but as the Versa has provided for years, its usable rear seat leg room is much larger than its diminutive passenger compartment capacity indicates. The trunk focuses on useable space, taking into consideration everything from the size of the hinges to the shape of the sidewall and includes a 60/40-split fold-down rear seat in higher trimmed SL models.

Other “available” interior features include a trip computer, power windows with driver’s one-touch down, speed-sensing auto door locks, remote trunk release lever and steering wheel-mounted audio controls. Two interior colors are available, Sandstone and Charcoal.

Exterior

The new Versa Sedan’s exterior appearance features Nissan’s new signature sedan grille design and jewel-like headlights.

The new Versa Sedan’s exterior also allows a somewhat high by comparison to its competitors Coefficient of drag of 0.31.

The indented line in the middle of the Versa Sedan’s roofline is not just a design feature, but a functional innovation that helps reduce the amplitude of the roof panel vibrations in order to create a quieter cabin interior without the use of reinforcement devices called “mass bumpers.”

Other exterior features include body-color front and rear fascias and “available” chrome-accented grille, blacked-out B-pillar, chrome door handles and front fog lights.

The 2012 Versa Sedan is offered in eight exterior colors, including Metallic Blue, Blue Onyx, Super Black, Brilliant Silver, Magnetic Gray, Red Brick, Fresh Powder and Titanium.

Efficiency and a V Platform?

The new Versa Sedan includes a totally new global platform and drivetrain, reducing the size of engine and transmission, reducing the number of component parts and reducing platform weight.

The 2012 Versa Sedan’s all-new front-wheel drive global “V” platform, designated “V” for Versatile, utilizes nearly 20 percent fewer platform components and weighs around 150 pounds less than the previous “B” platform. While retaining the same 102.4-inch wheelbase and 66.7-inch width as the previous generation Versa Sedan, the new model is 1.2 inches lower in height (59.6 inches) and 0.6 inches shorter in overall length (175.4 inches). The biggest dimensional gain, however, is in the visible gain in trunk length – provided by a more compact engine/transmission design that allows for a 2.7-inch increase in rear overhang (the distance from the center of the rear tire to the rear bumper).

Drivetrain

The second-generation 1.6L I4 includes a range of technologies, making it one of the most advanced engines in the B-Segment. The average engine uses only one injector per cylinder to inject fuel, the new Versa Sedan engine is equipped with two streamlined injectors mounted near the inlet valve for each cylinder. This dual injector system allows a wider injection of fuel, with the smaller nozzles delivering a finer spray (approximately 57 percent finer than the previous generation single injector design’s particle size) to help achieve stable combustion.

The new compact, lighter weight engine also utilizes a twin Continuously Variable Timing Control (CVTC) system mounted on both intake and exhaust ports (versus conventional CVTC systems which are mounted only on the intake port), similar to the system used on the flagship Nissan Maxima. Using a CVTC on the outlet port increases thermal efficiency, decreases inhalation resistance and offers an approximate four percent improvement in fuel efficiency.

Other enhancements include the addition of a piston oiling jet, tuning of the piston top shape and expansion of the exhaust manifold diameter.

The new 1.6L is rated at 109 HP @ 6,000 rpm and 107 lb-ft of torque @ 4,400 rpm.

The Versa Sedan is “available” with a somewhat outdated 5-speed MT with suirely stupid low ratios (1.6 S model only) and a next-generation Xtronic CVT Snowmobile belt and cone transmission. The CVT allows continuous change of the transmission gear ratio by connecting the two pulleys with a metallic belt and changing their diameter by using hydraulic pressure. The new CVT design adds an auxiliary gearbox using planetary gearing, helping improve efficiency.

The CVT also features a transmission ratio of 7.3:1, which is broader than those of conventional CVTs and even typical 7-speed automatic transmissions. Friction is reduced by about 30 percent, weight by about 13 percent and overall size by about 10 percent versus the previous Versa Sedan CVT design.

Versa also offers low rolling resistance P185/65R15 all-season tires with available 15-inch aluminum-alloy wheels.

Fuel economy for the 2012 Versa Sedan is estimated at 30 mpg City, 37 mpg Highway and 33 mpg Combined with the CVT transmission (27/36/30 mpg with the 5-speed manual transmission) (preliminary estimates).

All 2012 Versa Sedans are equipped with independent MacPherson strut front suspensions and torsion beam rear suspensions, with front and rear stabilizer bars as are most in its class. Other standard equipment includes Electric Power Steering and power-assisted front disc/rear drum brakes.

Safety

Standard safety features found on every 2012 Versa Sedan include the Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) (includes dual-stage front supplemental air bags and front seat side-impact supplemental air bags for chest protection), seat-mounted driver and front passenger side-impact supplemental air bags, and roof-mounted curtain side-impact air bags for front and rear outboard occupant head protection.

Additional safety features include standard LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) system, child safety rear door locks, child seat upper tether anchors and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) and Traction Control System (TCS).

In addition, the new Versa will be the first Nissan model in the United States branded with the PUREDRIVE designation. PUREDRIVE will be used on models utilizing Nissan’s most advanced technologies to promote eco-friendly driving and lower CO2 emissions. All Well and good but 37 mpg from a B-Segment with today’s higher FE C-Segment offerings sounds more like fluff than pushing the envelope…

On-Sale this summer

The all-new 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan will be available in three well-equipped models when it goes on sale at Nissan dealers nationwide in summer 2011 – Versa Sedan 1.6 S (offered in 5MT and CVT versions), Versa Sedan 1.6 SV (CVT only) and Versa Sedan 1.6 SL (CVT only).

Along with the 1.6 S model’s many standard features, the 1.6 SV adds cruise control, Fine Vision instrumentation, chrome grille accents, body-color dual power remote-controlled sideview mirrors, upgraded cloth seats, power windows and more.

Versa Sedan 1.6 SL models add 15-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, fog lights, variable intermittent wipers, chromed inside door handles, 60/40-split fold-down rear seat, Bluetooth Hands-free Phone System, steering wheel audio controls, USB/iPod connectivity, upgraded audio system, door-linked map lights and more.

Just three options packages are offered: the Cruise Control Package (1.6 S CVT only); the SV Convenience Package (1.6 SV only) with Bluetooth Hands-free Phone System, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, upgraded audio, iPod control, map lights and front passenger vanity mirror. The SL Tech Package (1.6 SL only) adds the Nissan Navigation System with XM NavTraffic (XM subscription required, sold separately) and 5-inch color touch-screen display and XM Satellite Radio (XM subscription required, sold separately).

We’ll see but just 34 mpg highway in its best trim with CVT and MT, yuck :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2011
  2. Conrad

Conrad Member

Don't understand... the previous model Versa had a 6-speed MT??

3. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

For 2010 and 2011, the 1.6L with a 4 speed auto or 5 speed manual transmission was available. Options for the 1.8L were 4 speed auto, CVT, and 6 speed manual.

4. herm

herm Well-Known Member

any talk about a hatchback?

5. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

The Versa is one of my favorite cars. Small, nimble, reasonably fun to drive, cheap.

But no 6MT? That was the only manual available with the hatchback (1.8L, no 1.6), and Nissan sold a LOT of them. Nissan's CVTs are probably the best in the business, but still I'd rather have the MT.

And where's the effing hatchback?

6. robj80

robj80 traded HP for MPG's

So glad they dropped the gas guzzling MR18DE in favor of the HR16DE. I am betting many people will be surprised at the real world mileage of this car. I was shocked when I got my 2009 1.6 Versa. It now has 64k miles and till this day I can't get less then 33mpg mixed driving now matter how I drive or with AC use. My highest has been 46mpg but I'm usually right around 38.

The hatchback is on a different platform now and is slightly larger. Much more upscale looking.

7. 300kmileprius

300kmileprius Well-Known Member

Only 37mpg hwy?? That is pathetic, miserable and embarrasing considering there are many larger cars that do as good or better.

8. herm

herm Well-Known Member

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

For more money. For the typical American driver (AT+basic convenience) the Versa has the lowest MSRP out there.

For the most part Nissan operates by making cheap cars that are just good enough. If they can keep improving fuel economy within their low-cost model that's fine by me.

10. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I like it that you are not forced to buy all the extra crap.. unless they bundle it with the AC..

11. nighthawk

nighthawk Well-Known Member

I think I read the 1.6S now has standard AC

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Right. Someone like my wife who'd want AT+A/C+CC the addition to the 1.6S help keep the price down.

A stereo is still extra. ;)

13. nighthawk

nighthawk Well-Known Member

who wants that unnecessary stuff anyways! lol

14. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Re: the hatchback version ... I read on Consumer Reports' NYIAS coverage that the existing Versa hatch will carry over for another year, and we will get a redesigned Versa hatch for 2013.

15. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

I don't usually use the stereo because I have all those screaming voices in my head to keep me company... :eek:

My main objection to the current Versa is the EPA rating. The new Versa promises to address that disadvantage, and the 2013 hatch bodystyle makes for a rather roomy family car.