Chrysler planning for 2 new pickups

Discussion in 'Chrysler' started by atlaw4u, Jan 12, 2011.

1. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

[​IMG] With fuel economy of at least 30 miles per gallon.

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Chrysler_logo.jpg[/FIMG]Alisa Priddle - DETROITNEWS - January 12, 2011

Chrysler Group LLC could have two new multipurpose pickups in its future lineup: the unibody replacement for the Dodge Dakota and a Jeep with a truck bed.

The Dakota goes out of production at the end of the third quarter, and work continues on its replacement, which is to hit the market in 2012 as a 2013 model, said Fred Diaz, head of the Ram brand.

The pickup could come from a Chrysler or Fiat SpA car platform, or could get its own unique underpinnings.

It is expected to be unibody construction. But "it needs to look like a real truck, not a soft, wimpy truck," Diaz said in an interview Tuesday at the North American International Auto Show.

And the Dakota name is unlikely to continue.

"We will rename the vehicle," Diaz said.

The new midsize pickup with room for at least four passengers does not need the same towing capability as the outgoing Dakota. But it needs to be able to haul a personal watercraft, Diaz said.

And it must be capable of fuel economy of at least 30 miles per gallon, he said.

Chrysler is zeroing in on the final look and putting fine touches on the clay model to gauge consumer reaction... [RM]http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20110112/AUTO04/101120323/1148/auto01/Chrysler-planning-for-2-new-pickups[/RM]

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

If they make those come true, it's a welcome addition.

3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

It had better still have a decent towing capacity, or else that eliminates half the reason for buying a truck. Most cars can tow personal watercrafts.

4. herm

herm Well-Known Member

but most cars cant get 30mpg

5. PaleMelanesian

Being able to tow, and rated to tow, are different things. The same car in Europe is rated to tow 2,000 lb, but if you tow with the American version it voids your warranty. :confused: It makes no sense.

6. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

Most of their cars are epa rated below 30, what makes them think they can make a truck that will get at least 30?

7. beatr911

beatr911 Tightwad

Nah, it's definitely possible to hit this target. A 4 cyl turbo diesel, front/4 wheel drive, small crossover based vehicle. Granted the bed may be only 3 or 4 ft long but this market of pick-up drivers may rarely use the bed for much anyway.

Similar ultra short bed but non 30mpg vehicles in the US are the Subaru truck thing, the Ford Sporttrack.

Strech it to 35 average mpg and I may be impressed.

8. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I can almost guarantee that "must be capable of fuel economy of at least 30 miles per gallon" means 30mpg highway, any mpg city.

That sucks. Maybe it's a Honda thing? All the Toyotas and VWs that we've owned have had a towing capacity listed and did not say anything about voiding warranties. And yes, those were cars.

9. PaleMelanesian

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Not surprising. Caravans in the UK are towed by cars of all different sizes. However, in the UK drivers just accept that their small-engined cars might struggle up hill and the only off-roading they do is from the road to the field where they park the caravan.

11. Sulfuric

Sulfuric Well-Known Member

I think a small, efficient pickup is welcome in the states. Many people who want to tow the world will opt for the bigger vehicles, but the people who use it everyday to haul lawn mowers, etc. and have been itching for something efficient but still has a bed to put stuff in will be very happy.

12. herm

herm Well-Known Member

A small pickup with that mileage will be great, at a cost of around $12k would be even better. The reason for the towing ratings in the US are probably due to legal liability reasons.. you have an incident towing past your ratings, there is no way you can sue the manufacturer.. I would think.

13. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

Crack pipe much? that's less than a base Yaris!

Best case $17k for a super-stripper 2wd.

14. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Seems to me that they know their market. With a soft economy, though, how many people want a $500 a month truck payment so they can drag their personal watercraft down to the lake for some good old fashioned Drunken Jet-Skiing twice in a summer?

The answer sounds almost like the stereotypical "Spoiled Bachelor" - with no upside down mortgage because he has a rented pad shared with two other roomies, along with four maxed out credit cards, a month behind on their truck payment, two months behind on their jet-ski payment, yet plenty of cash for a keg of beer and four cubic feet of Doritos. And of course, lots of money for thousands of dollars worth of stick on crap for the truck, like smoked headlight covers, HID conversion kits, window tint, dual subwoofers, glasspack mufflers, chrome oversize wheels, and other desperate gasps for attention. When they need another thou or two, mommy and daddy get tapped. The weekend is play time rather than whatever work could be done to pay down debt. Instead, why not break out the beer bong and then play tag on the lake with your buddies on everyone's personal watercraft. When you're done for the day, wait until you can remember your middle name - that means you're ok to drive home. But with all the testosterone flowing from the competitive and dangerous pastime, remember to blast down the highway and cut off all the old folks who get in your way. After all, this is not a "soft, wimpy truck". It's got guts. Oh, but don't park it in your driveway. The repo man will be skulking around.

Back on topic, any new compact truck should be capable but not overbuilt. A few thousand pounds of towing capacity is just fine. A payload of 1000 pounds or a bit less is fine. In towing and hauling ratings, the weak link is usually brakes/bearings/axles/etc and not engine power or transmission torque capacity. A large four cylinder engine can even power a full size 2WD pickup, although the acceleration is not sufficient to peel out while blasting your thousand dollar air-horns.

To get to 30mpg highway, it'd need a four cylinder engine. And good luck trying to get the Spoiled Bachelors to buy a four cylinder truck. Even GM surrendered and jackhammered a 5.3L V8 into the Colorado/Canyon trucks. And the auto press responded with their predictable showers of praise. Sadly, too many pickups are purchased for the image they apparently project. "Like a rock". "Ford tough". "Ram tough". There's no reason why a pallid, undercapitalized, insecure 150 pound male needs a 5000 pound truck to run down to the Quickie Mart for a case of beer. Yet the same dejected soul would rather walk to the store than be spotted in a 3800 pound compact truck with an I-4 or small V-6, where the vehicle's reduced mass and power certainly (in their own twisted mind) would portray "dork" or "geek" - the kid who always ended up head first in the toilet, getting a power rinse on the hairdo courtesy of a few flushes.

My brother has a Silverado 2500HD truck for work use. 6000 pounds, 360hp, 8 foot bed, probably 8 feet tall. That truck gets used - as a truck - when it is needed. But to run to the Quickie Mart for a gallon of milk for the kids, what does my brother - a 6-foot-something mid-200s pound construction worker - drive to get there? The Chevy HHR. Considered by some to be a "soft, wimpy truck". He also carpools with two or three others on the job - in the HHR - to save on gas and tolls. None of the guys seem to have an identity crisis being seen in the car. My brother ran the numbers on the Colorado and Ranger, and if they met the need, he would have purchased one rather than the 2500. Unfortunately, that researching and rational and clear decision making during truck purchases does not happen often enough, and the result is an army of gas hogs piloted by emaciated momma's boys who were never told that sometimes you just can't have things your way.
    </rant>

I applaud Chrysler's planning of smaller pickups, and I hope that the brand management team can overcome their own internal vision of what trucks need to be in terms of styling and capability. Time will tell if they will be able to effectively market the trucks to the Personal Pickup crowd.

In the meantime, I am considering a license plate frame that says, "Big Truck = Small Shmuck". Go ahead, little man, move in real close and flash those Daylighter highbeams. It will make it easier to read my license plate frame.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  15. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Can I get one of those for my Insight? :D

16. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Can you still get a Sentra for $10k?.. lots of small PU are made world wide, the chicken tax nixes that idea since the Big 2.5 must be able to sell their big trucks..

Oh well, nobody would buy them anyways..

17. saturnsc2

saturnsc2 Well-Known Member

are the mahindra trucks available anywhere yet? There was news a year or two back that they were going to bring some of their small trucks stateside. They are made in india and even they said they were going to release in the u.s. at 20k or something like that. The era of pickups being cheap is long gone. Car makers are probably scared to make another small truck akin to what the vw truck was. Plenty of people around me think they need to buy a diesel f250 to haul a push mower or jetski :confused:

18. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

:thumbs_up::D:D:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

19. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Might be higher unless Mahindra ever starts up (though there likely would be a base super stripper available for fleet purchases cheaper.) The base MSRP on an '11 Ranger is about $18K.

With the Ranger gone the cheapest alternative would be about $22K.

20. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

Base 2wd Tacoma is $16,3xx
    Perhaps Chrysler can get away with one for around that price.