First Full Range Test of Nissan LEAF Yields 116.1 Miles

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by msirach, Oct 22, 2010.

1. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Unwavering certainty that the LEAF can obtain at least 100 miles

[FIMG=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Leaf_tn.jpg[/FIMG]Nick Chambers - PLUGINCARS - October 22, 2010

Cudos to Nick for proving that the Leaf can do it. I totally agree with what he has to say about the Leaf! --Ed.

Most regular PluginCars.com readers know that Nissan's quoted range for the LEAF is about 100 miles. But as Nissan has said—and as many regular EV drivers know—the total range of an electric vehicle can vary quite dramatically based on how the car is driven.

For instance, if you drove a Nissan LEAF uphill at 80 miles an hour with the A/C cranking full blast and five large adults in the car, you might only get 45 miles of range out of its battery. Alternatively, if you drove a steady 45 miles an hour over a completely flat route on a 60 degree day with no climate control, you might see as many as 135 miles of range. But still, none of that truly tells you what you could see during real world driving.

After today, I can tell you with unwavering certainty that the LEAF can obtain at least 100 miles of range in the real world—because Nissan let me loose in their baby to be the first automotive reporter on the planet to conduct a total range test, from a fully topped off battery to almost completely empty.

The chosen course took me from Nissan's North American headquarters in Nashville, Tenn., to the famous Jack Daniel's distillery and back—a total distance of 116.1 miles. The drive covered varied terrain and speeds, from gently rolling topography on roads that went through towns with stoplights and 30 miles per hour zones, to byways with 55 miles per hour top speeds. I didn't drive aggressively and I did spend most of the time going five miles per hour under the posted speed limits, but we had the A/C on for much of the trip. It wasn't like I was driving like an obsessed hypermiler.

Okay, so maybe that last 15 miles—when it got a little tense—I did drive 10 miles under the posted speed limit and likely upset a few other drivers. (Sorry folks! It was all in the name of science.) But hell, I went 116.1 miles with room to spare.... [RM]http://www.plugincars.com/nissan-leaf-116-mile-range.html[/RM]

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Mike:

That means the LEAF will provide upwards of 160 to 170 miles AER for us!!!

I cannot wait for that drive :D

Wayne

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

That's seriously heavy utilization of the battery. Obviously (like GM ;) Nissan figure you won't go 100 miles at time on most days and the occasional deeper discharge won't stress it.

4. xcel

Hi INATM:

Indeed it is. Never heard of a Li-Ion being able to use so much total cap in fact. These are the very latest from NEC and they are not your standard Li-Ion's either.

Wayne

5. greatwit

greatwit Active Member

If you read the comments on that article, it seems that some Nissan engineers have hinted that the car has a 30 kWh battery, and that 24 kWh would actually represent a 80% DoD.

6. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

We do an annual two-day Multiple Sclerosis bicycle ride called "Jack and Back" that uses this same route between Nashville and the distillery. Based on knowing those rolling hills, I would estimate that you could easily get over 200 on that route!

It is a beautiful trip by bike ... and by Leaf, I would imagine ;)

7. xcel

Hi Rob:

Thanks for the boots on the ground assessment!

I was just on the phone with some Nissan PR folks at Nissan's TN HQ who said they are contacting their engineers and will be getting back to me regarding the LEAF's 24 kWh or 30 kWh pack.

Kind of important to know, isn’t it ;)

Good Luck

Wayne

8. xcel

Hi All:

While I have not received a call back yet, Mike just sent me the very latest Nissan released specs across a number of documents and all still point to a 24 kWh battery in place? Allowing upwards of 23 kWh from a 24 kWh Li-Ion pack? There has to be a little more overhead than that?

Wayne

9. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Note that he used AC and ECO mode (aggressive regen :p) during this drive -- impressive!

10. xcel

Hi All:

Sean, didn't you know, aggressive regen is supposed to give you the maximum range :D :rolleyes: :angel:

In any case, I spoke with Josh Clifton, one of Nissan's PR reps a few minutes ago and he did state that the 23 kWh consumed is a correct figure. What he and the engineering team cannot yet definitively state is the actual cap of the LEAF's NEC sourced Li-Ion.

When you are in a conversation like this, you can read between the inflections and deduce that there is more to this Li-Ion pack then what we know today :)

Wayne

11. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Ahhh- so Wayne, you are telling us that there is no way this is a 24WHr battery, but probably a 30 WHr or so?

Even draining down to just 20% is kinda extreme isn't it?

Isn't the Prius battery-nickel metal hydride- drained down to 70%-giving up just 30% of total capacity?

Anyone have any claims on what GM is allowing with its Volt? I would bet they-GM- are being more conservative.

A 95% drain seems unlikely, even 80% is exceptional

Charlie.
    PS If I win the lottery,I'll buy a Volt(and maybe a Plug in Prius)

12. xcel

Hi Charlie:

I am simply speculating like everyone else is all. The Volt's allowable SoC swing is 62% according to a post that Sean put up about a week ago.

And if you win the lottery, you will want to purchase a 2011 Nissan LEAF and a 2012 Toyota Prius PHEV-12/13 instead ;)

Good Luck

Wayne

13. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

The Prius uses a SoC swing of 40% (unless you run out of fuel, then it will let you start from wherever the SoC is and drop it down to around 16.5% left), the 1st gen Insight uses 60%.

95% is a very large swing indeed. The forums I've glanced at speculate that the 24KWH spec is actually the usable amount from the battery... hence the 30KWH guess.

14. RobertSmalls

RobertSmalls Ecodriver

The reviewer used 23KWh and didn't even get low enough enter "turtle mode". It has to be a >24KWh nominal pack.

We earlier heard Nissan was buying batteries for $375/KWh. So, now what do we think the battery costs at the OEM level? $11000 instead of the earlier $9000 estimate?

15. herm

herm Well-Known Member

There has to be a lot more overhead than that..

16. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I think Wayne's estimate must be at least in the ballpark. There has to be significant overhead if Nissan wants the battery to last more than a couple years / few tens of thousands of miles. I'm sure the bean counters did the math on warranty costs vs. up-front cost on this.

17. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

They stated over and over again that they have done rigorous testing and research of their pack design and are very confident in the durability. For a statement like that, I can't imagine using nearly 100% of capacity.

18. corollasport09

corollasport09 Well-Known Member

I bet the leaf can do more than 130 miles with a hypermiller

19. CitrusYellow

CitrusYellow Member

One more thing about the Leaf is interesting. During the entire 100 year history of the electric car, down through the EV1, Corbin Sparrow and some versions of the forthcoming Tesla Model S (I think), the battery constituted 30-40% of the total weight of the car. The Leaf figure is half that. Nice! Of course, the range is lower than the various Teslas.

20. herm

herm Well-Known Member

A report from an owner with a borrowed Nissan scanning tool says the pack is a little bit bigger than 27kwh... thus 24kwh would be 89% discharge.. still pretty high.