Hypermiler Opinions - Mazda5

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by Nevyn, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

So I'm looking for anyone that has had chance to really get into it with a Mazda5. Is there anybody here who has driven one for more than just a 2-5 mile test drive?

It's looking at the moment like that's the "best fit" vehicle to replace my wife's dying Grand Prix.

2. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

I had a Mazda5 rental for 2 weeks when I was out in Reading. The selectable automatic didn't impress me in the hills for hypermiling purposes, but steady-state driving or normal hill driving was fine for a mini-minivan.

Other members seem to like it a lot, but it never pushed all my buttons.

3. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

The best thing about the Mazda5, besides being a LOT of space in a small package that is relatively fuel efficient for its size, is the availability of a stickshift!

If my family were larger and I needed the space, I would almost certainly buy the Mazda5. If you fold down the rear seats you've got as much cargo space as a Volvo wagon. Seats up, you can haul 6 people PLUS about the same amount of cargo as an XD or SX4. And while getting in and out of the 3rd row does require flipping the 2nd row seatbacks, it's still easier than getting in an out of the second row of a coupe. Sorry, haven't driven it more than a typical test drive, but I was impressed with it. I regularly see ad prices of $15-16k for the base model.

The reviews you see online universally rave about the crisp handling. I suppose that's WILDLY true in comparison with your average minivan -- combined with the tight turning radius, it is far more nimble than anything else that can carry 6 -- but my wife and I both thought the suspension was a mushier than WE like. Fantastic by minivan or large-SUV standards, a bit mediocre by midsize car standards, but probably still livable.

Probably the biggest downside (other than the lack of a diesel or hybrid option) is the reliability. Only average per Consumer Reports, and there are a pretty fair number of negative reviews on Edmunds. IIRC most of the complaints were for fairly moderate stuff like brakes, MAF sensors, and door-track problems -- not big ticket items like engine problems, tranny failures or the notorious $3000 CR-V air conditioners.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  4. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

I'd love to have one in a stick, but it'll primarily be the wife's vehicle and there's NO WAY that she'd go that route.

We need a vehicle that will hold 2 adults, 3 carseats, and still have room for a load of groceries. This appears to be the best balance of space and economy.

I think I'll still attempt to pursue one even if they're not TOO highly loved - maybe it'll even make it easier to get the price down a little.

Thanks for your input(s).

5. straw10

straw10 Member

I have had mine for over 2 years (45K) and absolutely love it...can pick up the in-laws and put a car seat and booster chair in the back row, very versatile, the seats go to any configuration you'd need in no time. I waited until they offered the 5-speed auto, as my wife doesn't like the manual...(I'd have preferred it, and been able to get 30 mpg average...) I sit at 28 mpg right now over the life of the car. Price was right as well...tax, title, and everything was still under 20K...think I paid 18300 before the taxes...had a quote of 17395 with the stick...I know that's two years ago, and now that Consumer Reports has it as literally the highest rated car there (earned a 95 score), there may be a little less wiggle room, but still a great car. Hope that helps a little...let me know if you have any other questions.