Sg2

Discussion in 'GM' started by Gas-x, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Gas-x

Gas-x Well-Known Member

I will be ordering a scan gauge soon and can't wait any longer! I think it will help me out so much. Had to share and get that out of my system for the night.:woot:

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Oh boy!! You are about to have a whole new world opened up for you. :D I never hit 40mpg for a tank until I got the ScanGauge... and I got that high the first tank with it! And that even though the SG was only attached for just a bit less than the last half of the tank. :thumbs_up:

3. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

You'll love it! One thing I did on mine which added a lot to the usefulness was to program an X-gauge to allow display of the Insight 1 lean burn state. The code can be found by searching for Wayne's directions over in the Insight 1 subsection. I'll try to find it, if you have trouble.

The instantaneous FE display on the SGII is pretty much useless, but you have the FCD on the car's instrument panel. Lean burn is not accounted for by the SGII, so that distorts the FE display.

The water temp display is very helpful in monitoring for overheating when you use a grill block. Paying close attention to the TSP numbers is helpful in improving your technique, and you will find posts on that subject.

4. jimepting

5. Gas-x

Gas-x Well-Known Member

I would love to take advantage of the help you have provided however I do not own an insight 1 even though it is my # 1 fav. I am just an Aveo driver with no hybrid or lean burn to speak of. What screen is the most useful if instantanious is useless....?

6. Gas-x

Gas-x Well-Known Member

You started getting 40 with your old elantra or newer one? And with having the gauge for the second half of the tank? Good news for me then!!:D Can't wait to get that thing!!!!!!!:woot:

7. Right Lane Cruiser

That was in my '02 Elantra. You'll certainly enjoy it!

As for gauges in my Insight, I have the original ScanGauge version in that car and it doesn't have the XGauge capability. I keep the instantaneous up for comparison to the built in FCD (the larger the difference the better the lean burn), Coolant temp, Intake Air Temp, and 12V status. For the Elantra I drop the Intake Temp and add in the Current Trip average to keep an eye on. I do have a second generation SG in the Elantra and coded the Current Trip gauge myself (XGauge).

8. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Same story for me. I had a best tank of 42 before the SG, and my first 'gauged tank was 46. I haven't been below that mark since.

9. Gas-x

Gas-x Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'm asuming this site is the best place to order one?

10. PaleMelanesian

Yes. Scangauge has a minimum price for anyone who sells it, but with a special members-only deal, we have a lower price here.

11. Gas-x

Gas-x Well-Known Member

Plus I get a nice Cleanmpg decal! It will be like driving with glasses when I get that thing.... see exactly what is going on and how I can alter my driving habits to max potential ! I'm sure I will be asking a few questions to you guys about it but I know how it is here....people are happy to reply!

12. jimepting

Ops, not sure how I made that mistake:eek:

For "normal" ICE powered vehicles, the most important gauge is going to be the instantaneous FE, or MPG gauge, assuming your vehicle isn't already so equiped. It is one of the normal gauges and requires no additional programming. Another nice gauge is the closed loop/open loop gauge(can't remember the actual name). That gauge will tell you you when your engine is in deacceleration shut-off. If you fas a bunch at night, the battery voltage gauge is very helpful in maintaining charge. If you resort to grill blocks, the temperature gauge will help you understand your cooling effectiveness. The Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) gauge will help you a lot as you practice the "hang time" technique.

And, as I said, I find the programable X-gauge for trip average MPG to be useful. Good luck with your new gauge:Banane01:

13. PaleMelanesian

I find the trip average mpg to be the most useful. Just focus on keeping that one moving up. I believe the newest SG's have that pre-programmed as on of the gauges.

14. Gas-x

Gas-x Well-Known Member

I will soon know what you are talking about...!

15. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

The new version does in fact have trip average. It is called AVG. Loop is LP.

16. Gas-x

Gas-x Well-Known Member

Placed an order for my scan gauge .... didn't see how long it takes to come,any ideas? Can't wait for that thing to show up! Also what is the pre-programming all about?

17. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

Wayne (xcel) ships all the ScanGauges personally. So, if he has some in stock it should be only a few days. The pre-programming is just Wayne entering the engine size, tank capacity, and a couple of the x-gauges. You can post in the SG topic or ask Wayne if you want to know more.

18. Gas-x

Gas-x Well-Known Member

A few days sounds good to me...

19. Gas-x

Gas-x Well-Known Member

I have the instant mpg, avg, map and coolant temp as my display.

20. Right Lane Cruiser

Don't forget to watch voltage if you are FASing.