Excellerator's 1999 Toyota Camry LE

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by Excellerator, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Excellerator

Excellerator Active Member

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5949/camryforsig6ts.jpg

So here's my ride (I posted a link because the picture is really big and I have no way to decrease the size). My family has had it since April 18th, 2005, and so far I have put about 12,500 miles on it.

Between 1999 and 2005, we had a 1993 Hyundai Excel 3-door hatchback with a four-speed manual. I learned how to drive in that car, and when I got my learner's permit at 15, I drove it for about a year. Then the transmission died. After having a friend bring us to a used car dealership, I immediately noticed the Camry and it looked and drove absolutely flawless even with about 93,000 miles on the odometer. It was bought that day for $8000.

I usually get between 19 and 22 MPG depending on how far I drive, and at its lowest I've gotten around 17. The highest I've ever gotten was around 26. It's in excellent mechanical condition, so I guess it's the conditions I drive in which keep the gas mileage pretty low. The engine is a 2.2-liter, 130-horsepower four cylinder known by many Toyota enthisiasts as the "5SFE" engine. And because it was originally bought in a state that follows California emissions standards (whatever they have) it has 130 horsepower as opposed to 133 in other states.

I have done no modifications to the car except adding Sirius Satellite Radio.

I'm getting a ScanGauge II in the mail soon, so hopefully the instant MPG display (as well as its other features) should help me adjust my driving style to get better mileage. If I got as high as 26 before, I could sure get it again if I tried hard enough. But my goal is to exceed the EPA estimate of 22 MPG city (some places say 23, but most of the time I see 22).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  2. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Driven right I bet that little buggy would do far better than 22 mpg city.

Enjoy your ride...

psy

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Excellerator:

___Welcome to CleanMPG!

___Your Camry will be worth a lot more but due to its age and unknown previous mechanical history you may want to only consider advanced techniques when coming to stops and while sitting at lights and signs and such. With an SG-II, you can monitor your 12V and that alone will help you decide what you can and cannot do in some cases but just take it easy and we look forward to hearing how you learn about your Camry in ways you may never had thought possible before.

___Good Luck

___Wayne