Problem with Jungle Motors

Discussion in 'PHEV or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle' started by Nirmalanow, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Nirmalanow

Nirmalanow New Member

I just wanted to share my experience with Jungle Motors who are also the new owners of Plug-In Solutions (formerly Plug-in Supply). They offer electric car conversions and Prius plug-in conversions at their shop in Southern California.

I bought a used Prius from them with a plug-in system already installed. Unfortunately, it turns out they did not have a valid title to the vehicle and also never told me it was a total loss salvage vehicle. As a result I have a car in my garage that I cannot register or drive. My lawyer has asked them more than once to refund my money, but they have not complied. I have filed a complaint with the Department of Motor Vehicles, so hopefully this may still get resolved without requiring a lawsuit.

I would advise anyone to be very careful in doing business with Jungle Motors or Plug-In Solutions.

2. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Wow! That sure shoots their credibility! Please keep us informed of any results.

Welcome to CleanMPG! I hope you can find some relief in what you learn here.

3. Nirmalanow

Nirmalanow New Member

Here is an update on my experience with buying the car from Jungle Motors. In spite of repeated letters from my lawyers, they failed to refund my money and in fact stopped replying at all to my communications. So I filed a complaint with the DMV and waited 6 months or so for the DMV to complete their investigation. It ended up being a catch 22 where the DMV investigated them for acting as a dealer without a license but would not pursue Jungle Motors for their other actions since they are not actually a dealer and the DMV does not investigate private party sales. In the end, Jungle Motors was just given a written warning for acting as a dealer without a license.

I then decided to write them and give them one more chance to settle without paying any of my legal fees, but still asking them to pay for transport of the car back to California. They were slow to respond and so my deadline for settlement passed. I had my lawyer start preparing a lawsuit and then just before we were going to file they offered me a settlement for my original purchase price less the cost of transport of the car back to California. I took it and am glad to be done with the whole situation.

It was quite an education for me and has changed the way I would approach any major purchase in the future.

4. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Man! Sorry to hear you had to go through that. Glad to hear they finally did the right thing though. Hopefully you'll find something as a suitable replacement (or get a real Prius PHEV). Good luck, and thanks for the update.

5. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I don't think I'd sign a sales contract, and actually give a dealer money if they didn't have a title to the vehicle.

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Bummer. Before reading this , I would never have guessed s*** like this could happen . Maybe I should ask the dealer to see the title next time I buy a new car.

7. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Actually, new cars don't have titles, only used cars have titles. Even though I purchased from a reputable dealer, I saw the title before I signed the sales contract on my Escape.