Will Nissan Have a Smaller Electric Car For Sale After the Leaf?

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by atlaw4u, May 3, 2010.

1. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

[​IMG] The most likely candidate for the new production Nissan EV has to be Nissan Mixim EV, displayed as a concept at the 2010 Detroit Auto Show.

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Mixim_concept.JPG[/FIMG]Nikki Gordon Bloomfield - ALLCARSELECTRIC - May 2, 2010

Rumors are flying that Nissan is preparing a subcompact electric vehicle to compete directly with cars like the Mitsubishi i-MiEV, and it may even be made in China.

The rumors are unconfirmed: word of mouth from inside a partner company of Nissan. But given the number of pre-launch reservations for the 2011 Nissan Leaf EV--combined with Nissan's long history of EV development--a new, smaller EV could be just what Nissan needs to become the market leader.

Nissan have been making electric cars for many years. Their first EV was produced between 1947 and 1950 and called the Tama; it was developed as a direct reaction to post-World War II oil shortages. Since then, Nissan have regularly churned out many prototypes and occasionally, as with the 1998-2002 Nissan Altra EV, a short-run production model... [RM]http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1044697_will-nissan-have-a-smaller-electric-car-for-sale-after-the-leaf[/RM]

2. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I think the Leaf will be a success because it isn't some tiny, cramped 2-seater that can't haul kids around effectively.

As I've been saying for some time, the primary market for this car is not young single urbanites who own a single car and don't need much space. It's families with multiple cars. Even commuter cars still need to pick up and drop off a kid from time to time.

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Reid:

___I have to agree with Dan on this one. The LEAF/Versa is already about as small as it goes for mainstream drivers. In fact, it is to small as the Versa is not setting the sales charts on fire for obvious reasons. The sub-compact BEV is not the direction the auto manufacturers should be targeting for their first BEV but they have to start somewhere.

___When we see the likes of a Focus or Fusion go all-electric, then the BEV has arrived. This is where Tesla’s S has the upper hand as it is a true mid-size with all the capabilities of the Roadster (even more in some cases) minus the 0 to 60 and top speed performance.

___Good Luck

___Wayne