Strong Initial Demand For Nissan’s Electric Leaf

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by msirach, Apr 23, 2010.

1. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

[​IMG] The new plural of Leaf is Leafs.

[FIMG=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2011_Nissan_LEAF2.jpg[/FIMG]Chuck Squatriglia - WIRED - April 23, 2010

The initial wave has hit! Will it continue for the Nissan Leaf? --Ed.

Early demand for the Nissan Leaf electric vehicle is strong, with 6,635 people reserving cars in just three days — a figure that represents more than 10 percent of the Leafs Nissan will build in its first year of production.

Nissan started taking reservations for the four-door, five-passenger EV on Tuesday afternoon, and almost instantly people were signing up to get one. The Nissan Leaf, which will cost $25,280 after the $7,500 federal EV tax credit, rolls into showrooms in December.

“We had 2,700 reservations in the first three hours,” said Dave Mingle, Nissan’s senior director for customer management and business strategy. “It exceeded what we expected, though we knew from what the hand-raisers were telling us this is an exceptionally passionate crowd.”

The hand-raisers he’s referring to are the 117,000 people who registered at the Leaf website to get a place in line once the reservation system opened. Those who have made reservations paid $99 to make sure they’re on the list when the Nissan Leaf starts appearing at dealerships.
    ... [RM]http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/04/strong-demand-nissan-leaf/[/RM]

2. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Who would have thought that 2010-2011 would offer mutiple options for PHEV & BEV. I'm excited to see what the next few years will bring.

3. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

It should be interesting. I hope they come up with a portable charger that doesn't have to be wall mounted. Home is not a problem. My breaker box is in the garage, but I would need to charge it at work too. My deposit happened within 30 minutes of the email.