The Nissan Leaf lines up paying customers

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by atlaw4u, Apr 20, 2010.

1. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Nissan is taking reservations for its Leaf battery car starting April 20, two days before Earth Day. Will the 115,000 'hand wavers' sign up, pay $99, and get in line to take delivery? delivery?

[FIMG=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2011_Nissan_LEAF2.jpg[/FIMG]Jim Motavalli - MNN - April 20, 2010

Here we are, just two days before Earth Day, and Nissan is switching into high gear with its Nissan Leaf battery electric car. The company's challenge is to get the 115,000 “hand wavers” who registered their interest on the Internet to sign on the electronic line and pay a $99 reservation fee. That process starts today. Aren't you at least tempted?

According to Nissan’s Mark Perry, the goal is to have 25,000 customers lined up for the Leaf (which has a range of 100 miles on lithium-ion batteries) by December when the first go out the door. That’s a challenge, but probably doable. After all, we’ve got a lot of pent-up demand from talking about the coming electric vehicles for the last couple of years. The company is stoking that demand with a series of TV commercials and strategic YouTube postings (including this one):... [RM]http://www.mnn.com/transportation/cars/blogs/the-nissan-leaf-lines-up-paying-customers[/RM]

2. Student Driver

Student Driver Well-Known Member

Email came from Nissan 2:55pm PST. Just reserved one. We'll see what happens next ...

3. EVuser

EVuser Well-Known Member

It will be interesting if they restrict sales based upon your ability to install a rather costly charge outlet in your place of residence. This will pretty much eliminate all but the most eager renters and many others from the early adapter list. GM last I heard is still planning to make the Volt compatable with a good old 20 amp 120V outlet in addition to the new and costly SAE EV inlet.

But the Volt still appears to be at a totally different price level even with tax credits. Here in CA using your tax money the Leaf is priced pretty reasonably.

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I still haven't received my email...

5. EVuser

EVuser Well-Known Member

If they have you living in Coon Rapids, MN I don't think you will be offered a early reservation. At least that is the way I read some of their news. :flag:

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, if you can't fast charge you won't get the most out of the car so it makes sense they'd want to get the best buyers if there's excessive demand: happy buyers spread the word.

The Leaf does have charging at 110V, but from their statements it's only 1kW.

7. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

I may not currently have a 220 outlet available, but I can put that in very quickly (and the breaker box is already set up for it).

However, my 52.4 mile round-trip for work might work against it a little bit. Especially for the days when I plan a side trip.

8. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I did finally get the email -- just minutes before 6PM.

The car won't be available initially in my area but it is supposed to be rolled out nation wide next year.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

But that's a lot of EV commuter miles yet comfortably within the AER. You're a good candidate.

10. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

I just put down my deposit. I'm in CO so I won't see the first round. However, CO is offering an additional $6,000 state tax rebate.

11. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

I got my email at 5:37 pm cst finally.

12. RedPriusII

RedPriusII Active Member

"Reserved" an option to buy a Leaf.

The $99 isn't a deposit. It's a place in line. If I don't buy, I get my $99 back. If I do buy, the home charge station and the net drive-away price for the vehicle are still to be negotiated with a dealer.

I think the initial "hand-raising" goes through May 15 (pls correct if I'm mistaken). Interesting to see how many will sign up.

Wish I had some of those state credits (e.g., CA, GA etc.).