Reservations for the all-electric Nissan Leaf start Tuesday

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by Right Lane Cruiser, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

[​IMG] "Every time I drive a gasoline-powered car I feel guilty about the environmental impact."

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Nissan_Leaf_BEV.jpg[/FIMG]Sean Welch - CleanMPG - April 19, 2010

Are we finally about to see the real appearance of electric vehicles as viable transportation offered by major manufacturers?

In response to strong consumer demand, Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) will begin taking reservations for the Nissan LEAF zero-emission, all-electric vehicle on April 20. The reservation process is a first step in securing a place on the list to purchase or lease a Nissan LEAF. The Nissan LEAF begins rolling out to select markets in December, and will be widely available in 2011.

In the United States, more than 115,000 people have formalized their interest in driving a Nissan LEAF by signing up for more information on NissanUSA.com. These registrants will be given priority in the reservation process. Consumers must be registered on NissanUSA.com by the end of today in order to be eligible for the early reservation process. Reservations will open to the general public on May 15.

"Early interest in the Nissan LEAF has been highly encouraging," said Brian Carolin, senior vice president, sales & marketing, NNA. "People from across the country have raised their hands to be among the first to drive home a Nissan LEAF. Consumers are pledging broad support for the first affordable electric vehicle for the mass market."

RESERVATIONS
    • Priority reservation instructions will be sent to early registrants by email between 1-6 pm EDT on April 20. The email will include an exclusive link enabling each person to start the reservation process.

• Through the link, the customer will create an account, configure his or her vehicle, and answer questions to complete a driving profile.

• Consumers will be asked to pay by credit card a $99 reservation fee, which is fully refundable.

• After placing a reservation, a customer will be able to indicate a preferred dealer.

• Consumers who reserve a Nissan LEAF will receive confirmation numbers. Nissan will provide individual updates for their reservations by June 30.

• Reservations are limited to one per household.

• Consumer inquiries about the reservation process can be answered at the Nissan LEAF call center, 1-877-664-2738.
    April 20 also marks the date for the debut of a new website on NissanUSA.com to support the launch of the Nissan LEAF. The website will continue to serve as a resource about the most up-to-date information for the Nissan LEAF, including upcoming special events.

Including the $7,500 federal tax credit for which the Nissan LEAF will be fully eligible, the consumer's after-tax net value of the vehicle will be $25,280. The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price *(MSRP) for the 2011 all-electric, zero-emission Nissan LEAF is $32,780. Additionally, there is an array of state and local incentives that may further defray the costs, and increase the benefits, for owning and charging a Nissan LEAF. For example, a $5,000 statewide tax rebate is offered in California; a $5,000 tax credit in Georgia; a $1,500 tax credit in Oregon; and carpool-lane access in some states, including California. The lease price for the Nissan LEAF begins at $349 per month.

In North America, Nissan's operations include automotive design, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. Nissan is dedicated to improving the environment under the Nissan Green Program 2010, whose key priorities are reducing CO2 emissions, cutting other emissions and increasing recycling. More information on the Nissan LEAF and zero emissions can be found at Nissan.

MSRP excludes applicable tax, title and license fees. Dealer sets actual price. Prices and specs are subject to change without notice.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2010
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

In 2010 there will be places with a significant number of EVs rolling around.
    In 2011 there will be places with a significant number of EVs and PHEV rolling around.
    In 2012 there will be EVs and PHEVs rolling around all over the world.

When I think about it, it's just amazing. I hope somebody is tracking pollution and noise levels in the early-adopter cities to see if EVs have a measurable impact.

If 19 1/2 gallons of gasoline are produced from a barrel of oil and an EV does 12,000 miles per year and substitutes for a small car getting about 30.76 mpg then each year each EV will eliminate the use of gasoline produced from 20 barrels of oil.

Of course, US annual consumption was about 6.952 billion barrels' worth in 2007 so we'd need 3.5 million EVs even to substitute for 1%. But with consumption dropping from 2007 through less car use, more efficient cars and now EVs gasoline consumption should drop considerably.

Since petroleum is still needed for all the heavier fractions and for diesel one of the largest benefits of improved economy and shift to EV could be a shift in US refining to produce more diesel, the fuel that really matters.

3. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

I'm planning to sign up tomorrow.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Great! With the Insight-I and the Leaf you'll be about as efficient as a car owner can get!

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Reid:

___I would wait for the Focus BEV... A much better car although with fewer known specs and availability will not come about until a few months after the LEAF is launched.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Wayne. However, I'm using the deposit tol hold my place in line while I wait for additional info on the Focus.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  7. essaunders

essaunders Well-Known Member

Wayne,
    Do you have a good comparison of the Ford BEV vs Nissan BEV offerings that you could reference for us? I'm thinking about placing a deposit on a Leaf too -- and then make a decision later on what to actually do. It actually makes me wonder what the deposit to sales conversion rate will be....

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Well, Ford haven't announced details of the Focus BEV yet.

Since the Focus won't offer anything different in terms of form factor or AER, price is going to be a big thing. No price means high price, so unless Ford can announce a price before the Leaf goes on sale I'd see a high conversion rate for the Leaf.

9. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Essaunders:

___What we do know about the Focus is its larger. I have the base specs in the Focus forum somewhere, its interior is much nicer and it is almost guaranteed to handle better and be quieter due to the LEAF's VERSA underpinnings.

___Not everything but look at the Focus' interior vs. the LEAF's and that should be enough to tell you to hold off on the actual $'s on the table.

___What worries me about the Focus BEV is the $'s as that could get way out of hand.

___Good Luck

___Wayne