Will Prius tire sensor idiot light-45psi??

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by phoebeisis, Apr 4, 2010.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been asked before.
    Our 2006 "Killer Car" Prius's tire pressure idiot icon is on.Checked pressure-expected to see 25psi(plenty of construction debris, lotta nails screws) but 43-45 psi all the way around.

I set the pressure at about 40 psi 2 months ago; temp was probably 40 degrees.It is almost 80 today

Does the sensor detect pressure out of range on the high side? I always thought it just detected the much more serious too low pressure.
    Thanks
    Charlie
    PS-Obviously I'm joking about the killer car- it is much safer than my 98 suburban.

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Hi, Charlie — IIRC the light does come on at higher pressures, but that's at much higher than what you have your tires set at. Larry has posted about that. ;)

3. phoebeisis

Sean-thanks for your reply.

DUH- I goofed;I wish I could delete this thread.I rarely drive the Prius; my wife and son drive it because they hate to drive the lumbering SUV. I'm stuck with the 213000 mile 13 yo hulk.

I got in the Prius, and saw what looked to me like a tire with treads icon. Noooo it wasn't, it was the "front windshield defogger is on icon" .I absolutely hate those universal icons. Just write " tire pressure"under an idiot light.

We have lots of problems with nails/screws here in NOLA, so I plug slow leaks maybe 4 times/yr. I wasn't surprised to see "low pressure" since 3 months ago I plugged one, and I was pretty sure I pushed the plug in slightly too far.I expect it to fail sometime or other, so I was anticipating a low pressure warning(wife and son never give me a heads up on those things until the rim is on the concrete.

Yeah, I need to eyeball the manual more, and drive it more than once a month.Yeah, the idiot was me!!

Thanks
    Charlie

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

With the cars being sold world 'round, I guess they have to stick to symbols. The choice/size of symbols could use improvement, though; the symbols for newer functions in particular.

5. phoebeisis

Mendel- yes they do have to be sorta' universal. I still don't understand why the front defroster needs a dash icon when it is already on the LED- or LCD? display? Just how important is it that I need to be reminded -twice- that it is on? Let's see-OIL PRESSURE, TIRE PRESSURE PARKING BRAKE and FRONT DEFROSTER ON - yeah, they are all about equally important.

Yeah,I feel DUH about this one, but it looks like a tire tread to me.
    Thanks
    Charlie

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Charlie:

___Around 72 psi. 70 cold will light it off in about 156-minutes on the road. IIRC, the manual states it but it has been a while since I have been in the Prius-III manual.

___Do not ask me why I have seen this personally but I am sure you can make a good guess ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Charlie,

Here's one I have to look at two~three times on our Civic Hybrid. Think it's the symbol you're referring to. Especially with the Canadian model, it just does not compute at first.

[​IMG]

8. phoebeisis

Hmmm, Wayne, so I could probably easily get away with 50-55 psi?? The Prius is so nicely suspended that 45 psi doesn't degrade the ride quality one bit-despite our crummy streets.

Mendel- yep that's it!! Looks like a tire tread to me; I would never guess(and didn't) it was the defroster.

Thanks
    Charlie