“My Ride” forum is open for business!

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by xcel, Dec 20, 2006.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___Let us see how this turns out? What I would like to see is a 1 to 3 paragraph description about yourself and your ride as well as a cool pic. Think of the “My Ride” forum as a place where you put your Ride’s best foot forward. Maybe take a pic of your automobile in of your locale favorite backdrops?

___Here is an example of Eleanor Miller's 2005 FEH and write-up although I am sure it was not her favorite backdrop. We do have some control of when and where we take our current and future pics :D

******************************************************************************************************
    Eleanor Miller: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/myride-miller-FEH.jpg[/xfloat]The Hook – Dec. 14, 2006

It isn't often that people adjust their behind-the-wheel ways after many years on the road, but there's something different about Eleanor Miller's 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid.

"It's changed the way I drive," she says. "I have a gauge that tells me what part of my driving is being powered by gas. I've learned how to coast down hills."

That green-friendly approach to navigating combined with her hybrid engine has yielded a fuel economy of 33 miles per gallon - a staggering number for an SUV.

But Miller says even that isn't the most unusual thing about her environment-friendly vehicle.

"When you're at a stoplight, the engine cuts off," she says. "It freaks people out when they ride with me, but I think that's part of what makes it the most fun car I've ever driven."
    ******************************************************************************************************

___I will take care of the sizing and manipulation of your “Rides” pic so we can get it up on the home page so just take a minimum size of 640x480 and I can take care of it from my end. For the thread, post away and we might make a special forum for the Home Page or link directly. Tom will have to decide what he wants to do for this …

___Here are a few pics of the MDX, Ranger, and Accord as off the wall type examples. I will have much nicer pics when the time comes for one of those in my own "My Ride" thread although I do like the MDX's backdrop. One of the most beautiful places I have had the opportunity to see to in person.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/529/The_MDX_Overlooking_Rockies.jpg[/xfloat]Acura MDX on “Top of the world” – Actually, Pike Peak 3 years ago last summer.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/2/Ranger_and_the_Snow.JPG[/xfloat]Ford Ranger after our most recent 11.5" Chicago snow storm.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/2/Accord_s_Prius_profile_after_the_snow_storm.jpg[/xfloat]The Accord had a Prius profile after mother nature got through with her ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

2. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

I don't know how this is going to work out on the front page. While it is a nice idea, the front page should be more focused on getting people to see the rest of the site. Taking up that much space might not be a good idea. It will probably drop the news down where people won't see if unless they scroll down.

I try to make the pages so if you have a 1024x768 screen you can still pretty much get buy without too much horizontal scrolling even if you have the window resized down a little. Most people don't view the web with a maximized browser.

A 160x120 thumbnail image would probably work okay. And then maybe having it go to the thread for that vehicle when you click on the image. The thread would of course have a more reasonably sized version of the image.

3. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

cool! i can't wait to start working on my page! it will inspire others to build their cars for FE

4. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

92 Honda Civic CX makeover

I got tired of waiting for the car manufacturers to introduce an inexpensive high-FE car, so I took my 15 year old Civic CX, which already got good mileage (51mpg in the summer, 44mpg in the winter), and looked at it to see what I could do to improve its mileage. I'm not a mechanic, so I left the engine alone, but figured I could follow Phil Knox's example and raid my local Home Depot for materials to improve mileage by reducing its aerodynamic drag. Most of my driving is on the interstates where the effects of aerodynamic drag predominate.

So far, I have installed a boattail, second windshield, underbody panelling, grill block, nosepiece, front and rear wheel well skirts, inner and outer side skirts, front and rear wheel spoilers, internal side rear view mirrors, smooth hub caps, and gap filling. The end result has completely changed the car's profile and, based on the photos, Phil estimates that I have reduced its Cd to about 0.16. I can drive down a leaf-covered road and the leaves hardly move. It coasts MUCH better than it did in stock form, making pulse driving a joy, and is currently running at close to 70mpg. Thanks to the drag reduction, the engine runs more relaxed when driving at higher speeds, and it also has improved high speed performance, which I notice when accellerating or climbing a hill at 70mph. I put about $200 worth of materials into the various mods, which paid for themselves in fuel savings. The end result is a very distinctive looking car, which people have asked me if it was a hydrid or an electric car.

My next step is to install a SuperMID, to see if I can improve my mileage still further via instantanious fuel consumption feedback (I currently drive by "seat of the pants" feeling).

[​IMG]

5. xcel

Hi All:

___I should have uploaded a pic with an actual intent for this forum. I was actually thinking “us” drivers and our ride just like Eleanor’s FEH and my wife and her MDX below.

___I will create a “My Ride” section in the gallery tomorrow for this kind of pic to be uploaded into.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/2/MDX_Overlooking_Rockies_Marian.JPG[/xfloat]This pic of my wonderful wife and her Acura MDX at Pikes Peak was cropped to 400x250 which is a great size imho. I can take care of anyone’s “My Ride” pic to bring it to that level if they upload a 640x480 or similar pic for me to play with from the start. Tom has the home page filled so we might show a list of the latest members with a link back into their own “My Ride” thread or something?

Basjoos, we will fit you in about 6th or 7th down the list as your “Basjoos’ Ride” bio looks pretty good! I hope to see everyone’s tank data graphs posted alongside their pic if possible too? That means some tank data entries for those that do not yet post tanks … Basjoos ;)

Tim, I will try and get that “My Ride” Photo Gallery sub-forum up tomorrow and I hope we can get this started by next week sometime? The Photo Gallery can take a paragraph in the description itself so it is yet another section to C&P your Ride’s Bio into for those that might use the Slide Show feature of the gallery and click on an individual pic to see what it is all about. It will be great to finally place a members ride and a face together as we have all been posting back and forth to each other for quite some time now.

___Anyone that wants to be a bit more private, just post a pic of your vehicle if you feel so inclined.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. xcel

Hi All:

___Tarabell’s 2006 HCH-II is in the new “My Ride” gallery category …

[​IMG]

___Tim, ready yet?

___Tom, here is Tarabell’s ride as a thumbnail :D [​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Brick's Ride has been uploaded :cool: . I don't have a picture of me with the car just now, but I could always upload one later if the opportunity arises. This should do OK in the mean time.

Wayne, I typed up a little blurb to go along with the pic. Let me know if that's roughly what you had in mind?

8. brick

My Ride.

Brick’s 2007 Toyota Prius II.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Resize_of_Brick_s_2007_Prius_II.jpg[/xfloat]Tim - CleanMPG.com - Dec. 22, 2006

After building and honing my FE skills in a 5-speed Accord Coupe, I saw fit to take advantage of the momentary decline in hybrid sales to upgrade. Enter: 'The Warp Wagon'. This is by far the most versatile and satisfying vehicle I have owned. Oh, and fuel efficient!

The real test of my 2007 Toyota Prius was driving three people plus myself to lunch in relative comfort the day after I bought her, a chore with my previous 2-door vehicle. I get a real kick out of taking passengers, as they are always impressed by the fact that we're getting on the order of 55mpg while sacrificing nothing in terms of comfort and convenience. And there's always the MFD and its fuel economy displays in case anyone gets bored.

This is the perfect car for me in terms of raw fuel efficiency, too. All of the techniques that I used in the Accord are available in the Prius but requiring only 1/3 the effort. Literally anyone can train his or her right foot to eke out respectable fuel economy numbers if only they have the willingness to try. In my opinion there is absolutely no substitute for a hybrid vehicle like this!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006
  9. xcel

Hi Tim:

___I took your 800 pixel wide photo and cropped/resized it down to a 400 pixel wide photo for this thread as well as a 310 pixel wide photo for the home page.

[​IMG]

___Your previous post above is how it will look on the home page once you create your own thread so that I can format and re-link back to it. You can also use your own "My Ride" as a blog if you so choose. HCHCIN is the one who came up with that idea although maybe with a slightly narrower focus?

___I really like your write up! Let me know what you think about the format …

___Tarabell, I have your pics setup for the thread as well as the home page.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

___Basjoos, I have your thread pic setup and will setup your Home page pic later.

[​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

10. brick

Hi wayne. That format looks good!

11. xcel

Hi All:

___Who is next ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne