Chrysler’s message

Discussion in 'Chrysler' started by xcel, Feb 12, 2010.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Fiat + Chrysler will equal the 6th largest automobile manufacturer in the world.

[fflash=left]http://www.youtube.com/v/2RyPamyWotM&hl=en_US&fs=1[/fflash]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Feb. 11, 2010

Dodge – Man’s Last Stand

At Chicago’s famous McCormick Place, home to the 2010 Chicago Auto Show, the Economic Club of Chicago initiated a gathering of influential leaders from across Chicago’s broad business landscape.

Hosted by the Auto Alliance, the Economic Club of Chicago was the scheduled venue for Chrysler Group’s Chief Executive Officer Sergio Marchionne to give an update and overview of Chrysler’s current and future expectations. Unfortunately, Sergio was unable to attend as he was called upon to attend and announce the $3.3 Billion USD investment in an auto manufacturing plant to produce cars and trucks in Russia.

In his place, Chrysler called on the current President and CEO of the Dodge Car Brand, and Senior Vice President, Product Design, Ralph Gilles to give the “State of Chrysler” as it stands today and an optimistically laid out plan for the future.

A self-admitted “Car-Guy”, Ralph espoused his love for automobile design including model car building from his pre-teen years all the way to his present position in which he continues to oversee future designs we will see on the road through 2014.

Tracking Chrysler’s sales on a monthly basis over the years, we all know how desperate the situation is. Chrysler/Daimler/Cerberus mating and dissolution, Bankruptcy, $Billions in government bailout funds, product devoid of innovation, continuing sales declines even into the 2010 model year and a balance sheet filled with what can be best described as written in red ink.

Regarding the Chrysler/Daimler/Cerberus combination, “I would need a couch and a psychiatrist to speak about it,” said Ralph. “Brands and companies do not die, they are victims of Homicide.”

A poignant and to the point statement when speaking about Chrysler’s recent past would be an understatement.

I can look you in the eye and tell you I never felt better about Chrysler

With that statement, Ralph showed a renewed slide show filled with his personal passions, brand optimism and excitement for future Chrysler products to come. This included the standard ra ra pronouncements we have become accustomed to from Chrysler as of late but also included something entirely new and might I add, refreshing. That being the personality behind Chrysler’s present leadership.

Speaking in layman’s terms minus the car jargon, Ralph laid out Chrysler’s current status as being the low point. Beginning this year, Chrysler expects to climb back to its former glory with automobile sales in 2014 matching those from the beginning of the decade. A very tall and optimistic forecast given the way Chrysler sales have moved lower to begin the second decade of the 21st century.

2014, Chrysler expectations
    • $8 Billion in cash on hand.

• Government loans paid in full.

• Sales of 2.8 million vehicles
    A very tall order given the present fundamentals and lack of new product.

To get there, Chrysler will introduce the Fiat 500 into the US marketplace later this fall. The Micro may have a niche group of enthusiasts but having seen it in person, American consumers will more than likely avoid this famous “world” vehicle the same way they are rejecting the current Smart Fortwo. Both cars are not that much different in size.

Regarding product mix, 2009 saw a 57% Car/43% truck mix. By 2014, Chrysler expects upwards of 68% of their product line to consist of cars with just 32% comprising trucks.

[fimg=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2010_Alfa_Romeo_Giulietta.jpg[/fimg]2010 Alfa Romero Giulietta

A vehicle platform that may help Chrysler “get there” is the Guillietta. A C/D size vehicle, the platform will be the basis for Chrysler to compete with the Accord, Camry, Fusion and Malibu.

Although there was no names were mentioned regarding the future small car platforms, Ralph had a number of slides of concepts that looked no more than conceptual drawings at this point in time. Really nice looking sketches of A&B class size vehicles but in a very alpha stage of development.

Leadership

It will take much more than fancy slides and promises to meet the rosy expectations and there is only one way to get there. That being a strong leader with a focused vision.

“Now working for my 8th CEO, Sergio Marchionne is by far the most impressive CEO I have ever worked for,” added Ralph Gilles. “I would recognize Sergio as a conductor”.

During the Q&A period, a single question was asked that condensed “Sergio’s contributions” into a single statment.

Q: If you had to describe Sergio in one simple phrase, what would it be?

A: “Absolute attention to detail.”

Another individual, Doug D. Betts, was recently appointed Chrysler’s Senior Vice President of Quality in June 2009.

Regarding his qualifications, he cut his industry teeth while working in and amongst QC programs working for Toyota.

As Ralph mentioned, “Doug makes it almost impossible to build a bad car”.

Chrysler’s leaders including both Sergio Marchionne and Ralph Gilles are promising 25% increase in fuel economy across the lineup by 2014. Given the present regulatory environment and future CAFÉ requirements, this would be a minimum Chrysler would “have to meet in order to continue as a viable auto manufacturer within the US.

Chrysler is also promising the introduction of a broad range of future product with advanced technology in order to pull off that 2.8-million vehicle per annum 2014 target. My take… There is still a lot of boastful promises and limping along with 10 + year old product today does not make a healthy and growing concern tomorrow.

Dodge – The Soul of Chrysler

[​IMG]
    Future Dodge product including the Charger.​

While the Chrysler, Jeep and RAM brands make up a large part of the new company’s core, it is Dodge that “Builds Excitement”.

As we have asked the question for well over a year, why is the Dodge Viper continuing to be built let alone promoted? When you see less than 30-vehicles sold in any given month, it is a money loser… The reason? Since its inception, it has brazenly been featured on over 150 automobile magazine covers. This is Chryslers only really “Hot Product” even if it sells in numbers that a small manufacturer of travel trailers could produce with gasoline costing $4.00 per gallon.

It is a rolling commercial and will continue to be one of Dodge’s key vehicles for brand recognition well into the future. That future includes an all-new Viper of all things as well.

[fflash=right]http://www.youtube.com/v/F2pgSuhzOCo&hl=en_US&fs=1[/fflash]Dodge Charger - We Make Getaway Cars

And Dodge itself? It is Chrysler’s brand with “Soul and Attitude”

“Dodge can get into your soul and make you feel good,” added Ralph.

Future

While there was an all-electric version of the Fiat 500 on the show floor, Chrysler was rehashing some old photos from the on and then off ENVI designs including the EcoVoyager and ZEO we have covered in the past.

This section was more about fluff then substance but maybe that was the point?

“Fully electric vehicles are not quite ready for Society but we will be ready when it is”, Ralph added.

We wish them the best of luck but only with the promise of the fuel efficient small cars to become part of the US’ solution, not continue to be part of the US’s problem. That being our addiction to oil and all the deaths and mayhem contributed to it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. What a crock! Chrysler has already stated publicly that it has NO INTENTION of ever paying back the government bailout money.

Dodge as a "Getaway Car"? Ha ha ha ha! The only thing "getaway" about it is getting away from a lease early if you can.

I have access to a Dodge Durango for work, and it is the worst POS I have ever driven. It gets 6 MPG, is in the shop all the time, and has such a rough ride that you can feel it when you run over a cigarette butt. I guarantee that it will disintegrate within ten miles of the warranty expiring.

3. Bruce

Bruce cheapskate

Chrysler should be a good match for the land of the Trabant.

4. Lokhankin

Lokhankin Member

Russia never had a single plastic Trabant box from Eastern Germany on it's land.
    It has always used old Fiats though. thus Chrysler knows where to build and sell new old Fiat models..

5. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

What is it with you and Chrylser? Why the extreme hate?

6. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Chrysler finds itself stuck having to sell the product it is ready to build now and though some don't like that Chargers and Challengers sell to an audience that likes those adds.

The Challenger topped all others in Consumer Reports "Owner Satisfaction Survey" so they are delivering on that model.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...nsumer-reports-owner-satisfaction-survey.html

Ending statement: In total, of the 10 vehicles that rated the lowest, three were Chrysler products and seven were GM products.

7. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I drove a rented Seabring Limited all last week while I was out of town on business. It had one strong point: killer heated seats. I had to turn them off at one point because I thought I was going to cook body parts that I might want later. I didn't mind the styling, and I generally liked the ergonomics (big knobs and buttons that could be operated by feel while wearing gloves).

Would I buy one with my own money? Absolutely not. For one thing I could barely wring 28mpg out of it even in highway-biased driving. (I admit it was cold.) For another it drove like a tiny boat. The big wheels and wide tires did nothing to stop it lumbering through even the slightest turn. Both the brake and throttle were incredibly touchy...more like buttons than progressive controls. The only nice thing I can say about the drivetrain is that the 4-speed auto was receptive to fake-shifting and did hold high gears aggressively.

At the end of the trip it was a relief to get back into my Prius because it actually drives properly. Think about that for a minute and comprehend how much must have gone wrong when the Seabring was designed. Even I won't sit here and tell you that a Prius is among the better-handling cars you can buy.

8. Because I have to drive a work truck that happens to be a Dodge Durango and it is positively the most miserable vehicle I have ever driven. Seriously. I hate the vehicle with a passion. It's noisy, rough, unreliable, and gets terrible gas mileage. But since driving this hulk is part of my employment, I never get a break from this wheezing, lumbering contraption.

9. Blackbelt

SO you hate an entire corporation that sells 3 car lines and employs thousands and thousands of your fellow citizens because you don't like ONE of it's vehicles?

You constantly trash anything Chrysler on this forum because you hate ONE vehicle that YOU DON'T EVEN OWN????

OK, just wanted to get that straight.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. That pretty much sums it up. Sad, eh?

11. Blackbelt

Actually, yes.

12. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Hate is a very harsh word concerning anything OR anyone. One of the great freedoms we have in the USA is the right to free speech so we can use that word or speech that may evoke it.

Concerning Chrysler: I can't say that I "hate" them, but it is one brand I never expect to own.

Currently Sergio Marchionne and Fiat could be the "saving grace" of Chrysler. That is the only hope I see for them. The T&C van is a great seller, but it can't sustain the full line of inefficient and less than reliable autos that Chrysler is known for.

13. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Interesting that last night a sermon was concerned with negativity and immediately thought internet behavior. One point of that message is the whining cynics that think they have an IQ of 160 generally see the "idiot" doers make history while they are forgotten....flamers on hybrid articles come to mind. ;)

Said it many times - if you won't say it to ones face - don't say it on the internet. It's not a place one can magically relieve themselves without consequence - that emotional dung causes a lot of strife.

It's common knowledge about my views on GM and Chrysler - I loathed the way they put all their eggs in the basked on macho guzzlers and helped promote a mentality that something was wrong with anyone that bought "girly cars". They have both paid a heavy price and the golden truck age is over, so I can move on. Don't know if Chrysler will make it.

Even if you nuance an outburst, some are so sensitive flaming will still happen. Specifically those that insist on speeding and/or driving in a bloated blinged vehicle.

Over five years ago when gas under $2 a gallon, I would vent about drivers whipping around me in Dallas - and I was speeding back then! Mostly it was young dudes that may not have a high school diploma or even US citizenship. At any rate, I felt entitled to vent about it, but even after itemizing who was doing it, some overly sensitive pickup and SUV drivers choose to be offended anyway...they turned into bigger hatemongers than I ever was....something misleading about their name: GH.

Anyway, venting with a very broad brush generally gets someone offended.

14. Tallswede

Tallswede Member

Thats pretty funny. :) However, I own 3 Chrysler vehicles and am very satisfied with them. I have a '97 Plymouth Voyager with 200K miles on it. I had to replace the tranny at 180K due I think to a cracked case where my wife hit some thing allowing the fluid to get low. It has needed nothing but a new radio and new plugs/wires/tires. It gets 24 mpg on the hiway with it's 3.3 V6. I have a '07 Dodge Magnum that drives and handles very well for a car it's size and gets 27 mpg on the hiway loaded with 3 people and their luggage. My '08 Jeep Liberty gets 22 mpg on the hiway and pulls my boat and other trailers pretty well for a vehicle so small. So my experience is just the opposite of yours.

Kevin

15. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Do you drive local much? What sort of city mileage to you get?

Don't mean to sound critical. Your fleet may be perfect for your needs. My sense is that most people would need something for local needs, and I wonder where in Chrysler's lineup you would point those people?

Traded my Tacoma for a Prius since I no longer need a truck. Now look forward to one day replacing the CRV with a Leaf for our local needs and keeping the Prius for trips. Or perhaps trading Prius for a PHEV Prius and keeping the CRV since our second vehicle does not rack up many miles.

Prius gives 50-60 highway with 1 to 3 people and luggage (We marvel at what will fit in the thing). But it really shines locally where we get in the mid 40's even with a 1.6 mile commute. Compare the Tacoma at 15 mpg on that commute. 200% improvement in mpg for local. Over 100% improvement on the highway (from 25 mpg tops in Taco).

I think gas prices are low right now due to the economy. I would thus worry about meeting my transport needs with $5 or $10/gallon gas as I look at your fleet. Again, not for you, per se, but for typical Chrysler households. Perhaps you don't see a return of higher fuel prices?

16. Tallswede

Tallswede Member

Yes, I do drive local and my mileage in town on my Liberty has been around 18 mpg. Certainly not in Prius territory but much better than the 12 mpg my old Chevy Van got in town. My Magnum gets 20 mpg with my wife driving it, higher with me. I was able to buy both these vehicles for less than a Toyota Camry Hybrid. I don't fit well in a Prius and don't like the flimsy build of it. I did like the Honda Fit but for a little more money I got both my vehicles. I will be able to drive for years at anywhere near todays gas prices before I would have been able to recoup the difference in price. As a side note, I'm building a '66 GMC that will have a 454cu in. engine to use for my heavy trailering. For the difference in price between that and a new 30 mpg powerstroke Ford, I can drive for the next 20 years for free! I will just endeavor to maximize the mileage of the vehicles I have.

Kevin

17. xcel

Hi Keven:

___It is not just about the savings up front but on the back end. Chrysler resale is notoriously poor and if you look up the 5-year TCO’s at Intellichoice, it is pretty ugly…

2010 Jeep Liberty 2WD Sport - $39,335
    2010 Toyota Camry Hybrid - $30,095

___That is a lot of $’s lost over 5-years to believe you may have saved a few $’s up front?

___I will leave the Prius and Fit up to you but they have even lower TCO's. Intellichoice

___Regarding the 454 in a 66 GMC, you will more than likely be spending a ton of time under the hood of that let alone its emissions just sitting shut down in the drive are far higher than any modern day vehicle when driving down the road.

___I applaud that you are doing what you can to save your $'s and reduce our dependence but there is a bigger picture and I am only trying to put a given purchase into perspective is all.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

18. Blackbelt

Wayne,
    The problems with "cost to own" numbers like intellichoice and others is that there are important facts that are not factored in. For example, the Liberty in your comparison. According to intellichoice, the liberty has a list of 23255 and a target price of 22948, which is the number they use to generate the comparison. That number is not realistic, not even close. Currently, you can get $5,000 in incentives on a liberty right now, as well as invoice pricing, which knocks $6,000 right off the baseline starting figure for the liberty. The Number they plug in for financing would also drop accordingly. So the difference is more like 30K to 33K.
    Now, i am not defending or justifying buying a liberty or ANY SUV for that matter. i am simply pointing out a major flaw in the methodology. Of course, the projected resale can be a moving target too, as can be seen by the situation with toyota right now.

19. xcel

Hi Blackbelt:

___I can pick up a 2010 TCH for the low 23K range right now too... Go price a used TCH vs. a Liberty right today. Toyota is holding up far better than any Chrysler.

___The 2010 Prius? I picked up my parents Prius-III package-III for $21,600 IIRC, just $400 over invoice.

___Reliability, it depends on how much you trust Consumer Reports but Chrysler is still on the absolute bottom of the list :(

___All told, even with $6K off, why do you believe you are saving money when you actually own the car for years and this is where TCO counts. Drive until the wheels fall off and gas costs overwhelm the initial cost down to $0 resale at the junk yard.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

20. Blackbelt

Wayne,
    You misunderstood my post. I never claimed a liberty had good resale, and i never claimed a camry had bad resale. I am well aware that Toyotas have better resale value %'s than Chrysler, i never said anything to the contrary. I also never said anything about a liberty saving money over a camry. ALL i said was that the TCO methodology can be somewhat flawed, and i pointed out the differences in the comparison you posted. I even said that the camry was still $3000 cheaper.
    Sheesh!