Fuel Economy Challenge 8 - Winter 2010

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by PaleMelanesian, Jan 4, 2010.

1. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Presenting the Winter 2010 Challenge, running from January 1, 2010 to March 31, 2010.

[FIMG=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/fuel_empty.jpg[/FIMG]Andrew McGuckin - CleanMPG - January 4, 2010

Join us in our quarterly challenge to beat the EPA mileage ratings. The winner is the driver who beats the EPA by the highest percentage.

Drive your daily routes in your normal car. Real-world cars, real-world routes, everyday conditions, etc. This is where the real results prove the value of hypermiling. Remember the CleanMPG motto, "Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive".

Results from previous economy runs:
    I: February - May 2008. Winner: PaleMelanesian
    II: June - August, 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), lamebums (B)
    III: Sept - Nov 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), MT bucket (B), jps000 (C)
    IV: Dec 2008 - Feb 2009. Winners: lnmcmahan (A), GaryG (B), jhu (C)
    V: March - May 2009. Winners: lnmcmahan (A), nissynis (B), Damionk (C)
    VI: June - Sept 2009. Winners: cpeter38, froggman, Taliesin, Kacey Green (marathon)
    VII: Oct - Dec 2009. Winners: cpeter38 (A), Swineone (B, Marathon), some_other_dave (C)

How to Join
    To participate in this Fuel Economy Challenge, all you have to do is the following:
    1. Create a new mileage log. This will be an alter-ego of your vehicle, except make sure you use the 2008 EPA ratings for your car found at www.fueleconomy.gov. Choose the category "Quarter-Year FE Challenge". Please use a new log and leave the summer logs as-is until the previous challenge results are finalized. Once finalized, the previous vehicles can be deleted.
    2. Post here in this thread to announce your participation. Be sure to include a link to your new mileage log.
    3. Post in this thread with updates. Start wherever you are now, and use your next fillup, whenever it comes, as the start of your log. There is now no minimum mileage or number of fillups, only a request for no single-tank entries. We want complete daily driving records, and not cherry-picked entries.
    The standings here on page 1 will be updated periodically.

Handicaps
    For a level playing field, we will all use the new revised EPA estimates for fuel economy. If you are using a handicap, please list it when you announce your participation.

Hybrid Handicap: Reduce your epa ratings by multiplying by 0.85. Hybrids are already optimized for good mileage by automatically doing many of the things hypermilers do.

E10 Handicap: Reduce your epa ratings by 3%, to match the reduced BTU of 10% ethanol.
    Part-time E10: If you only sometimes use E10, log 3% less fuel used when you record that fillup. Make a note in the comments for the tank. Example: "Last fill was E10. Pumped 10.3 gallons, logged 10.0 gallons". Use this adjustment for the fill that finishes the tank of E10 fuel, not when you put it in.

E85 Handicap: If you are using E85 instead of regular gasoline and EPA ratings are not available, you can estimate your E85 rating. Just lower the gasoline numbers by 25% (multiply by 0.75) and round to the nearest MPG. Enter this as your EPA rating.

Which Division?
    Divisions A, B and C were created to help divide people into three levels, in order to increase competitiveness.

For Returning Members:
    If you were in the top 2 or 3 in your division, please consider moving up.
    If you were near the bottom, consider moving down. Everything is more fun when the competition is close.

For New Members:
    If are are new to hypermiling or to this challenge then I recommend either the B or C divisions to allow a good chance to get on your feet and familiarize yourself with hypermiling.

Special class - Marathon: If you drive lots of miles, you belong here. (in addition to Div A, B or C. Sign up for both.)
    Special class - Winter: If you have snow on the ground for several months, you may enter this division. (in addition to Div A, B or C. Sign up for both.)

Official Standings
    Division A
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    GaryG [​IMG] E10, Hybrid
    PaleMelanesian [​IMG]
    groar [​IMG]
    Right Lane Cruiser [​IMG] E10, Hybrid
    diamondlarry [​IMG] Hybrid
    cpeter38 [​IMG]

Division B
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    Sulfuric [​IMG] E10
    Mr. Pancake [​IMG] E10, Hybrid
    Kacey Green [​IMG] E10, Hybrid
    drummerboy2004 [​IMG] E10
    WoodyWoodchuck [​IMG]

Division C
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    jimepting [​IMG] E10, Hybrid
    tpmjr2004 [​IMG] E10
    Seraph [​IMG]
    Ken07TCH [​IMG] E10, Hybrid
    melinuxfool [​IMG] E10
    JusBringIt [​IMG] E10
    fanamingo [​IMG] E10

Marathon Division (long-distance)
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    tpmjr2004 [​IMG] E10
    Kacey Green [​IMG] E10, Hybrid

Winter Division
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    Right Lane Cruiser [​IMG] E10, Hybrid
    Mr. Pancake [​IMG] E10, Hybrid
    JusBringIt [​IMG] E10
    cpeter38 [​IMG]

Final results posted here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31005

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. Can you put me in Division C and the marathon division again. I have my log set up already with one tank in. This one is starting out alot better than the last run. Thanks

3. Also I have the E10 Handicap. Thanks

4. PaleMelanesian

There you go. You're currently winning! ;)

5. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Andrew, I just created my FE VIII vehicle. I'll talk to my son and try to make sure he gets his created too.

6. Woohoo!!! I'm Winning!!!

7. fanamingo

fanamingo Well-Known Member

So I should move down to... Oh right, I'm already at the bottom. ;) Come on all. Sign up. I'm an easy target to beat! Sign me up for Division C again. I'll be holding onto my E10 handicap as well.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah? Well, I've used less gas (at least until my first fill)! :D

8. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Hi Andrew, glad to see you are doing a new challenge! unfortunately I will have to sit out on this one, my car is out of commission and I don't see repairs happening til spring at least. :( so i will miss out on the fun.
    Good luck hypermilers, keep up the good work!!:flag:

9. WoodyWoodchuck

WoodyWoodchuck Sophomore Hypermiler

Sign me up in Division B again. I'll put up a good fight to be last.

Watch out you folks... I'm coming down to get ya!!

10. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Div B, Marathon, E10 full time & Hybrid

11. PaleMelanesian

:(

12. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

I agree

13. cpeter38

cpeter38 Right Lane Dweller

I'm in - Division A for the FSP (Contour SVT). I should mention that we are experiencing winter here in the Detroit metro area - it looks like it is going to be a bad one :-(!

Here's the link http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG(US)&viewcar=3339

Normal handicap - I've adjusted the EPA to match actual EPA combined. Although I use 100% E10 fuel, there is no for it (other than forcing the rating to match my actual EPA).

I'm still on my gimpy starter, so this might be a serious handicap. I may have to keep the engine on at all stop lights :-( :-(

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  14. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Here is my entry for the winter division (E10 handicap as there is no other fuel choice)
    Throw me in the A-division also. :)
    [​IMG]

15. fanamingo

fanamingo Well-Known Member

First entry in at 137%. I was expecting better, but the SG was off by 11% instead of its usual ~5%. On a brighter note, I'm now solidly in second in division C. :)

16. Sulfuric

Sulfuric Well-Known Member

Sign me up for Division B please.
    [​IMG]

BTW I now have "real" real wheel skirts, held in by 6 well placed screws instead of gorilla tape....

:)

Watch out!

17. Ken07TCH

Ken07TCH Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  18. PaleMelanesian

Ken, you'll need to create a new duplicate vehicle and tell me it's ID number.

With the hybrid and E10 handicaps (epa mpg * .85 * .97), you'll need to use 27 city / 28 highway for the ratings on this challenge vehicle.

I calculate about 3300 miles of commuting for the three months. Add in some weekend driving, and you might be approaching marathon class. The "unofficial" mileage is 5000 for the 3-month period.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  19. Ken07TCH

Ken07TCH Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  20. PaleMelanesian

And now you're on the list. Happy challenging to you.