Start using MPGe for us plug-in owners.

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by TheForce, Aug 24, 2009.

1. TheForce

TheForce He who posts articles

This might be a little hard to do but since plug-in hybrids are here and will hopefully be a lot of there here soon I think the mileage logs should be updated to calculate in the electricity usage along with gas usage. That way we don't get the 230MPG Volt problem. I know I'm shooting my self in the foot when I say this but I think it will be better for everyone. I will gladly sacrifice my 299MPG for the greater good of the mileage logs.

I have found that 33.6kWh per gallon of gas seems to be the norm on the internet. I have started to use this conversion in my spreadsheet so I can give people a more easy to understand number.

I will however still say I got 299MPH to anyone who asks because its still true. I traveled 299 miles on one gallon of gas***. :D

***not including electricity usage.

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Jay, it is a good idea and will solve problem with outliers in the EV section. I'll look into it.

3. TheForce

Pure EV's should have what ever the EPA is going to rate them with. I think its kWh per 100 miles or something like that. Maybe have an option of the EV owners to display in either kWh/100Mi or MPGe or just display both on the mileage log but only show the user preference in the banners. I guess with the right formulas you could let anyone display as MPG/MPGe and kWh/100Mi. Although it would be strange to see a hummer with a fuel log of kWh/100Mi. :) Maybe more like gWh/100Mi ;)

4. NiHaoMike

NiHaoMike Well-Known Member

What would you do if someone gets the idea to drive their car to a track, turn off the engine, tie some bicycles to it, and let some fat chicks tow the car in neutral? It would be infinite MPG and no electricity used! (Although it would be pretty slow...)

5. TheForce

Then we would need a CBPM ( Cheese Burger Per Mile ) conversion to get the MPGe.