Slow Ride

Discussion in 'General' started by MT bucket, Jul 14, 2009.

1. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

This is my '93 Bridgestone Mountain bike I bought new that summer. I used to do lots of riding off road with it. I used to have a road racing bike too but sold that when my hip started bothering me while riding. it was getting so that could barely bend it enough on the up side. I kept the mtn bike in the basement in case I ever wanted to start again, and it sat for many years. But last fall I found someone who could fit a modified crank that was quite short and it really helped alot, i I can pedal pain free now (except the usual pains from being out of shape) hehe. I don't plan on going back to off road riding any time soon, so i am converting it to a city bike with skinny hard tires and a computer. i might also get a headlight and fenders for interesting weather. ;)
    I hope to save some fuel by using the bike for short trips, I also hope to burn lots of fuel too, that is, my fat! hehe

[​IMG]

Here is my crank that works with my trick right hip. I got at done by Mark Stonich at BikeSmith Desighn and fabrication. http://bikesmithdesign.com/
    he did a great job getting my bike to be ridable for me! :thumbs_up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

well isn't that fancy. I'm almost jealous. :)

3. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

Sweet. I had a Bridgestone MB1 in college, probably the best mtb I ever owned.

4. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Very nice bike. I'm a little jealous ;)

5. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

I'd say that you should get a suspension seatpost for it being that it's a full-hard frame. It'd probably help your hip a little as well. $60-$80, but I think they'd be worth looking into.

6. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Thanks for the tip. I might do that at some time if my hip still bothers me. It really is not that hard of frame. it gave me a pretty good ride in my off roading days with proper technique and soft tires I was able to ride on just about anything including down staircases ;)

7. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

SOFT TIRES??? C'mon, you know better than that! Max sidewall all the way! :p What size are the tires you have on it now? What gearset is on it front/rear?

8. NiHaoMike

NiHaoMike Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time for a hybrid conversion? A hybrid is especially good if you like the idea of putting the bike on a stand and "riding" indoors. And if you're looking for more accurate power measurements, HSD will give you that, but it's more complex to design.

9. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

lol dont worry those were my knobby tires. I got road tires on now at 60 psi! :D
    no idea what gearset it has

10. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

I think i will stick to pedal power only. if i get too efficient i wont burn enough fuel (fat) ;)

11. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

If you look on the INSIDE of the front chainrings (from the "driver's side" through the frame) you should see somewhere on them a number stamped. It might be on the outside (passenger's side), but normally not. They should be something like 22-32-44, but may be as high as 28-38-48.

Those are the teeth numbers. I have some spare chainrings, that if you can't find a gear you are 100% comfy with, I might be able to send you a different sized chainring.

12. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Thanks for the offer Nevyn, but I am sticking with my lower gears unless I get in shape ;)

13. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

I think I have both 22's and 28's spare around. Is your small ring a 22 already, or 24T (or larger)?

My 1970's-something Schwinn World sport has a 52T outer chainring on a 10-speed road racer. The inner ring is a 28T. Best I ever pulled on it (by computer) was 36 MPH on a slight downhill....into a 25 MPH zone.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  14. raveneon

raveneon Well-Known Member

How does it ride with those tires? I had a mountain bike years ago and it was scary on the pavement not to mention the whirring sound of those knobby tires was enough to give you a headache.

15. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

the tires work very well on pavement, smooth and much faster than the fat knobbies!:)

16. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Completed my first fuel saving ride today! This is the first time ever that I rode my bike to save fuel. I used to commute on my bikes alot quite awhile ago, but not to save fuel, I just couldn't afford to own a car for a couple of years, and I wanted to avoid riding the bus.

I rode up to church sunday, a nice ride, there is bike paths and lanes most of the way, and I would like to keep my street riding to a minumum until I get in good enough shape to ride fast.

Starting out. I used to avoid bike paths, too slow speed limits, but for now 10 mph is just right...

[​IMG]

Minnehaha falls bike path

[​IMG]

Bike lane on Minnehaha Avenue S

[​IMG]

Never been on this trail, it was built after I quit riding, it is called the Midtown greenway.
    pretty nice path, and it has stop signs that many bikers ignore and blow through hoping cars will yield to them because they are in a crosswalk. A risky move if you ask me!:eek:

[​IMG]

Made it on time! i have to lock it up, even at church! they have a nice rack to lock it on.
    I had one stolen one time that I locked to a stop sign. the thief took a wrench and removed the sign off the post, then lifted (no pun intended) the bike and lock off the post right in the daylight!

[​IMG]

Made it home, 10.82 miles! hopefully I will get to do many more, it was fun. my hip held up fine, a little stiff, but it shouldn't be an issue with the short crank arm.

[​IMG]

17. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Looks like you have some nice bike paths! My area is very hilly. I wouldn't be able to keep it under 10mph though...unless I'm going up a steep winding hill...I've gotten up to 40.6mph...downhill...but I wasn't going for speed. This bike I have just doesn't have the gearing to go much faster.

18. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

you should post some pics of your bike ricardo :)

19. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

I'll post some tomorrow after work...actually, I'll post them tomorrow at work since that's where it is.

20. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Nice work, Michael!! :thumbs_up:

Looks like you have better routes down there than I have around my house. :p