CleanMPG Fuel Economy Challenge VI - Summer 2009

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by PaleMelanesian, May 26, 2009.

1. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Presenting the Summer 2009 Challenge, running from June 1, 2009 until September 31, 2009.

[FIMG=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/07_TCH.jpg[/FIMG]Andrew McGuckin - CleanMPG - June 1, 2009

Summer is here. Depending on where you live, rejoice or weep. Join us in our quarterly challenge to beat the EPA mileage ratings. The winner is the driver who beats the EPA by the highest percentage.

Drive your daily routes in your normal car. Real-world cars, real-world routes, everyday conditions, etc. This is where the real results prove the value of hypermiling. Remember the CleanMPG motto, "Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive".

Please note that this is a 4-month challenge, instead of the normal 3-month runs. This is to align it with standard quarters used in business, and in our own Alternative Transportation Challenge.

Results from previous economy runs:
    I: February - May 2008. Winner: PaleMelanesian
    II: June - August, 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), lamebums (B)
    III: Sept - Nov 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), MT bucket (B), jps000 (C)
    IV: Dec 2008 - Feb 2009. Winners: lnmcmahan (A), GaryG (B), jhu (C)
    V: March - May 2009. Winners: lnmcmahan (A), nissynis (B), Damionk (C)

How to Join
    To participate in the June to August economy run, all you have to do is the following:
    1. Create a new mileage log. This will be an alter-ego of your vehicle, except make sure you use the 2008 EPA ratings for your car found at www.fueleconomy.gov. CleanMPG staff will move your vehicle into a separate category for this challenge. Please use a new log and leave the winter logs as-is until the previous Challenge results are finalized.
    2. Post here in this thread to announce your participation. Be sure to include a link to your new mileage log.
    3. Post in this thread with updates. Start wherever you are now, and use your next fillup, whenever it comes, as the start of your log. There is now no minimum mileage or number of fillups, only a request for no single-tank entries. We want complete daily driving records, and not cherry-picked entries.
    The standings here on page 1 will be updated periodically.

Handicaps
    For a level playing field, we will all use the new revised EPA estimates for fuel economy. If you are using a handicap, please list it when you announce your participation.

Hybrid Handicap: Reduce your epa ratings by multiplying by 0.85. Hybrids are already optimized for good mileage by automatically doing many of the things hypermilers do.

E10 Handicap: Reduce your epa ratings by 3%, to match the reduced BTU of 10% ethanol.
    Part-time E10: If you only sometimes use E10, log 3% less fuel used when you record that fillup. Make a note in the comments for the tank. Example: "Pumped 10.3 gallons E10, logged 10.0 gallons". Use this adjustment for the fill that finishes the tank of E10 fuel, not when you put it in.

E85 Handicap: If you are using E85 instead of regular gasoline and EPA ratings are not available, you can estimate your E85 rating. Just lower the gasoline numbers by 25% (multiply by 0.75) and round to the nearest MPG. Enter this as your EPA rating.

Which Division?
    This was created to help divide people into three levels, in order to increase competitiveness.

For Returning Members:
    If you were in the top 2 or 3 in your division, please consider moving up.
    If you were near the bottom, consider moving down. Everything is more fun when the competition is close.

For New Members:
    If are are new to hypermiling or to this challenge then I recommend either the B or C divisions to allow a good chance to get on your feet and familiarize yourself with hypermiling.

Official Standings
    Division A
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    cpeter38 [​IMG] E10
    cobrapond [​IMG]
    Daox [​IMG] E10
    diamondlarry [​IMG] Hybrid
    PaleMelanesian [​IMG]
    lnmcmahan [​IMG]
    groar [​IMG]
    nissynis [​IMG] Part-time E10
    MT Bucket [​IMG]
    rhwinger [​IMG] Hybrid, E10

Division B
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    froggman [​IMG] E6 2%
    JusBringIt [​IMG] E10
    cpeter38 [​IMG] E10
    Kacey Green [​IMG] Hybrid, Partial E10
    ILAveo [​IMG]
    voodoo22 [​IMG] E10
    Mr Pancake [​IMG] Hybrid, E10
    drummerboy2004 [​IMG] E10
    PDK [​IMG] Hybrid
    swineone [​IMG] E25 8%
    sulfuric [​IMG] E10
    McTimson [​IMG] Partial E10
    Aether Glider [​IMG]

Division C
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    Taliesin [​IMG] E10
    some_other_dave [​IMG]
    josh2008 [​IMG] Hybrid
    WoodyWoodchuck [​IMG]
    TomMig [​IMG]
    Die2self [​IMG] E10
    Kurz [​IMG] E10
    ScorpD [​IMG] Hybrid, E10
    ChrisK14 [​IMG]
    Nevyn [​IMG] E10
    chillimac02 [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. PaleMelanesian

Previous run, now finished: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19925

Some notable changes this time:
    - modified hybrid handicap - this will make the hybrids even more competitive
    - E10 handicap
    - no mileage minimum, just be active through the whole challenge
    - 4 months instead of 3, but just this time, to realign with standard quarters.

---------------
    Here is my official signup:
    [​IMG]
    No handicaps

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  3. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

4. WoodyWoodchuck

WoodyWoodchuck Sophomore Hypermiler

I'm going to have to give Division C one more try. I'm through playing around now... this time I will actually try to win! No more Mr. NiceGuy. :eyebrow:

5. aaronl

aaronl Alternative transportation advocate

I believe gasoline in California contains 5.6% ethanol, unless this has changed recently. Can I pro-rate the handicap, or should I just ignore it?

6. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I'm in again. I'll go create my vehicle now. Actually, i may want to wait a little while to do that. I have to make a phone call in another hour and it's outcome may determine what vehicle I enter with.;) I imagine my son will enter again too...sorry about that.:p

7. PaleMelanesian

Aaron - you can prorate it. The actual calculation is 3.2%, so your 56% of that would come out to 1.8%. Go ahead and use 2%, then.

8. visionseeming

visionseeming Well-Known Member

9. Daox

Daox Well-Known Member

Count me in for another challenge. :Banane38:

Interesting new rules. The E10 handicap will help.

[​IMG]

10. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

11. PaleMelanesian

Jason, I think that's fine. Just double-check it when you enter the next tank.

Edit: I checked by changing mine, and it's NOT ok. It rounds the entered number when you save it. That's not a big deal with higher-rated cars like mine, or especially like Sean's, but in your case it's a BIG difference. We'll have to find a solution.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  12. cpeter38

cpeter38 Right Lane Dweller

I'm going to do 2 Division C Entries. The first car is my Focus (what I use for commuting).
    Focus Linky

The second vehicle will be my wife's family sized Contour SVT.
    Contour Linky

Both cars will take the E10 hit (it is impossible to find E0 in MI).

13. PaleMelanesian

Jason, I've got an answer for you. Since the log here uses a 50/50 average of city and highway, you can do 13/17 or 14/16 and get your desired 15 combined. Take your pick.

14. lnmcmahan

lnmcmahan Econoclast

I was told 6.8 by the CARB droid that I spoke to. What do I know?!

Larry

15. Die2self

Ok thanks I will make the changes in the entry. Fear the Bat :Banane18: :D

16. PaleMelanesian

3.2% lower btu * .56 = 1.79% handicap
    3.2% lower btu * .68 = 2.17% handicap

I still say use 2%. Which, incidentally, will likely kill my chances of beating Larry.

17. froggman

froggman Honda Prelude owner

Put me in Div. B again please.
    Since I am in Ca. do I get a 2% handicap?

18. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Ok Andrew, here is my official entry:
    [​IMG]

19. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

I am in again with the sultan of slow. got the brakes and clutch fixed finally. a few more things needed, hopefully a mpguino if compatable, then watch out! ;):D

20. Die2self

Wow Larry pulling out the new car out of the hat. :eyebrow::woot:

Except I think that the handicaps this time may not work in your flavor :Banane18:;)