Would you rather have a 2009 or 2010 Prius? Why?

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by Chuck, May 13, 2009.

?

Would you rather have a 2009 or 2010 Prius?

1. 2009 "Prius II"

18.8%
  2. 2010 "Prius III"

81.3%
  1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Curious if the Prius drivers here like the Prius II or Prius III more and why

2. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

From what I've seen, I want the '10. It seems like it would be more hypermiler-friendly with the eco button and the factory EV switch. It also sounds like it may be good for better FE on the highway or just in general driving.

3. Dan

Dan KiloTanked in post 153451

I'd actually prefer the 2009. The 2010 is more efficient, but the EV button is only enabled up to 25 mph instead of 34 mph. It's hard to have a P&G regiment at such a low speed. Personally I would like the see the EV button work all the way up to 42 mph. I think the EV button governor would be enough for me to sour me off of the 2010.

So I'd probably suggest someone pick up a 2006 or 2007 used if they were Prius Hungry. If they wanted New... I'd push a new Prius Pilot to the 2010 simply for the "Hybrid System Indicator". The HSI is a slam dunk for driver feed back and beats anything available to-date on a hybrid drive that I've seen.

So.. split decision.

4. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

That could be a bit of an issue. Hmm, sounds like it's time to start looking for a hack. Hobbit?;)

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Larry:

___I would not bet the farm (LITERALLY!!!) that the 2010 is more efficient than the 09 just yet. Read the previews again as there are some possible issues regarding the 100 mpg pop, Highway FE, FCD vs. actual and the EV button.

___For me, a 2010 would be the natural choice with its more comfortable driving position albeit smaller passenger volume and since I do not own one... I am going to purchase one for my mom however given I do not really drive anywhere anymore?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

2009 advantages:
    extensive data available on techniques for max FE
    3-door sks without excessive option package
    backup camera without nav package
    price (with discounts)
    proven reliability

2010 advantages:
    EV button (new to US) without owner mod
    ECO mode
    better warm-up time and no coolant thermos
    no fuel bladder
    seat height adjustment
    hybrid system indicator
    several new high-end options
    better EPA #'s likely mean "just drive it" results better, even if hypermile potential only similar
    other things I'm forgetting

For the money, I'll likely prefer the 2009. As stated, "which do you prefer", probably 2010 (money no object). Have not voted yet.

7. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 Well-Known Member

It's a split decision for me, but I'm leaning towards the II. There is a lot that can be done with the P-II's, like PHEV conversions. I know they will be able to do that with a P-III, but not yet. So right now, P-II. Please. No, really. I'm miss my '05. :( Of course, I just got 47 mpg on the way home from the sitter's house. ;)

8. fanamingo

fanamingo Well-Known Member

D'oh! I can't read. I voted for the 2010 because of the telescopic steering wheel. Maybe I'll fit.

9. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

Voted for the 2010.

Based on reviews here, I'm not expecting any better ultimate FE than the 2009, simply easier to get very good FE.

Better seating comfort, especially for tall drivers. More cargo space, increasing the likehood of household acceptance of this as the primary road trip car, displacing more miles from the Subaru than the older Prius could. No fuel bladder, increasing the reliable fuel range, which I do use to bypass tourist trap price gouging. Better handling, more power, making the spouse happier. Better crash safety (I hope, six years newer design should make a big difference). Stability control without having to move up a trim level.

10. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

As I told Wayne the other day, the geek in me likes the features such as the touch tracer, solar roof panels/auto ventilation, HVAC de-ionizer, ev button, heat exchanger, etc.

11. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Aspiring Prius drivers can vote, too. :)

12. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

I vote 2010. Reason better hwy numbers.