{Fill in the Blank} Denier

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Chuck, May 11, 2009.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

More and more these days, it seems a number of people form an opinion, then try to support it by facts - even if it's ludicrous. The {Fill in the Blank} Denier comes to mind.

I'm not going to touch on Global Warming much, because there are people that honestly don't think it's happening. Holocaust Denial is another story. People that include Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad deny the Holocaust occurred. Given his hostility to the state of Israel, this sounds like suspicious reasoning to justify his opinions....that if he accepted historical evidence of this genocide he might be uncomfortable with harboring hatred.

I've observed this more and more - when people don't like a fact - they just say "it never happened", etc. Many of you have probably had people make assine denials about events as if they were just stoned, as I have. At least on a grade school playground, 6yr punks are more honest....they hate you "Because"....no reason in particular.

People often are predisposed to an opinion and when the facts don't support it, they pretend it does not exist - how convenient.

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Personal examples of denial is on various forum disputes here and elsewhere, accounts that gave a blind eye to an event obvious to all.

An absurd example was people not an eyewitness to an event telling me what REALLY happened when I was there from hundreds of miles away. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Other personal examples is informing a former supervisor from 15 years ago the initial testing for a program was successful (Read: progress made, but more testing required), then he declares to put it in Production, then blames me for any problems. :rolleyes:

4. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Overheard at local hardware store between 2 employees.

#1: So how do you explain all the dead people on the Jets and their families, are they part of the conspiracy.

#2 Do you personally know any of the people that supposedly died?

#1 No I don't.

#2 Then you can't know.

Me and another employee look at each other in disbelief, as she rolls her eyes and says "this guy goes on all day about conspiracies". :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm the denier for not believing the truth.;)

5. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Some acts are so terribly painful, the emotional distress is avoided through denial. The disbelief that another human being could do such a thing...

Usually though, that's not the case.

6. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Me on the cellphone talking to a project engineer: "We have a problem out here, the soil is sand not clay and the water table is really high. (holding sand in hand watching excavation fill with water.)

Engineer (panicking): No, it isn't, the project specs say "clay, no water."

It turns out that "Deny everything, make counter-allegations" is a rule many people live by.

7. booferama

booferama He who posts articles

No it isn't! You're just making that up!

:)

8. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Damn does that sound real familiar. Don't like the message shoot the messenger.

9. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

In this era of ever more convincing "spin" I find it more and more difficult to know what the actual facts are anymore. I want to hear varying opinions and I want to have my mind expanded by new ideas and different perspectives, but presenting fictions as fact is inexcusable, yet common practice.

If people want to deny global warming that's fine, but under no circumstances can you say it's good to pollute. If we reduce our pollution output significantly and the climate still warms, at least we'll be living on a healthier planet while we try to figure out more about what makes it tick.

10. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

I deal with that type of stuff every day. The engineer's are real good at laying blame on everyone but them selves.

Case in point. We are bringing up a very advanced co-gen ice plant for a local hospital. The second pump we bring up roars. It's smooth, on the curve, everything is good other than the noise. I tell the folks concerned, it's cut water noise due to the size of the pump and the trim of the impeller. No it can not be that all say. So they check the pipe sizing, heat exchanger sizing, look for air issues,,, on and on and on. Then they are back to cut water. Engineer still has not excepted the fact he blew his sizing of said pump.

Today I have to go out to the same job and inspect 20 more pumps. I won't be firing them up today. I can assure you none of the pumps will be installed right. The engineers and contractors can not read and understand instructions written at no more than a 5th grade level. So all the meetings, e-mails and finger pointing will start again.

It's sad how bad things have gotten now days. Just last week we get panic phone calls from a job site. The electricians can't make up to the pecker heads on two 200hp motors. The threads are wrong in the pecker heads. They demand I fix them or replace the units. I go out to the job and screw the short nipples right into the units. No problem what so ever. Fifteen or less years ago somebody or a group of folks would have got fired for that mess. Now it's just written off and everybody goes back to hiding and taking no pride in the work. They still went on proclaiming the threads were wrong in the pecker head. But I screwed them right in.

I loose a little bit of faith daily in the human animal.

11. psyshack

As I thought. Not one of the pumps is installed correct. :(

12. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Well that stinks, Jeff! You need a big time promotion.

13. psyshack

It's just crazy. The phone calls have been flying, e-mail's wasting time. And the OLD finger pointing....

14. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

kids will be...ehem..uh...adults will be....eh fahgettaboudit, not sure anymore.

15. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

I'm gonna ask.

What's a peckerhead?

Is this just a silly name used to represent something, like do-ma-hicky or is this a trade name for a real component like the PH1000 (I know I'm going to regret this. I could have just googled this, but NO I gotta take the bait. Just like the "squelch grease" in the commo section of the Army, or the grid squares I had to run across post to get when I was a newbie. Bring it on.) :eyebrow: - Dale

Is it like a henway?

16. psyshack

Its the common trade name for the electrical connection box on a electric motor.

17. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Funny when I have to go to a job site to make up to some pecker heads that something is wrong with, it usually means something entirely different. ;)

So long as you didn't to make up to the other kind of pecker head after you had to make up to the pecker heads you can call it "job security."

18. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

It's not like a henway. - Dale