Is summer gas here?

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by tbaleno, Mar 8, 2006.

1. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Gas prices took a big jump hear in Chicago. This tank seems like its been a bit better than normal. It's hard to tell if it's because of the temperature or different gas.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

In Dallas, we did not have much of a winter. Price has risen from $2.06 to $2.26 over the past six weeks.

3. gonavy

gonavy Well-Known Member

Does the state's website have info on when the switch occurs? IIRC its April here in MD.

You guys are E10 year-round, correct?

4. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

I think so. Or where you talking to Delta Flyer.

5. gonavy

gonavy Well-Known Member

Tom- You, mostly since you asked the intial.

Although the midwest isn't served by the Colonial pipeline (other post in the 'fuel' forum), your area is served by Teppco/Centennial and Explorer pipelines. From the Explorer website, I was able to find that they start shipping low-RVP fuel (summer blend) this past week. So it takes 2 weeks or so to get to Chicagoland. Say around the 1st of April it will have made it to your station's tanks? Just a pure swag.

FWIW, vapor pressure is only required to be below 7.0 between May and Sept. Outside those dates, I don't think there is a real spec as pertains to RFG anymore, so nobody measures it.

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tom:

___To go along with the RVP, if you have been following the RFG vs. gasoline futures on the CleanMPG home page (I knew you would find a reason why we have them ;)), you will see a delta opening up over the past few weeks. So many RFG and ethanol mandates around the country are causing those prices to soar above that of straight gasoline. For the hypermiler’s, not only are we paying excess expense for the same amount of fuel, we are paying more because of our increased use of the stuff due to the lower FE received while running both RFG and E10 :(

___If you get the chance, visit Illinois Gas Prices for the low down. You can see non-RFG E10 available from around Bloomington all the way down to Bellville. Basically the entire lower ½ of the state. Us poor schleps up here in the Chicago area are stuck with RFG based E10 and therefore pay for it twice as described above ...

___For everyone else, the Gasbuddy server is currently down but when it’s up, there are a number of states reported through the main sites - state forums. Hopefully your area is represented as well?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006