Why are Portland Prius owners so angry at Toyota?

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by xcel, Feb 23, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] "The perception is that they're the leader in green cars. For them to oppose the mileage standards, that's a real disconnect."

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2009_Toyota_Prius_Touring1.jpg[/xfloat]Shelby Wood - Oregon Live - Feb. 23, 2009

2009 Toyota Prius Touring – $24,270 plus D&H and 46 mpgUS combined on the 08 EPA.

Without the gas-guzzling FSP’s, there probably would not be a Prius unfortunately :( -- Ed.

A Prius Parade is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. today, starting at the Fred Meyer parking lot at NE Wiedler St. and 32nd Ave. Why are the Prius owners parading? It's not for fun.

Mark Gamba, a commercial photographer in Milwaukie, trots the globe for adventure pictures and has seen some of global warming's effects firsthand. He's also a longtime Toyota customer who bought a Prius months after the fuel-sipping hybrid debuted, later trading up to a more fuel-efficient 2005 version.

In Gamba's eyes, Toyota seemed to have made a conscious decision to be green. Then he found out the company is opposing the U.S. Senate's proposed increases in mileage standards for cars and trucks.

"To hear all of a sudden that they're lobbying against the higher standards makes me nuts," the 48-year-old said. "What are they thinking? I gotta think that people smart enough to do what they do are also smart enough to realize that global warming is for real."

Environmental groups and customers such as Gamba are targeting the world's largest car maker for its position on what would be the biggest increase in mileage standards in 20 years… [rm]http://www.oregonlive.com/events/index.ssf/2009/02/why_are_prius_owners_so_angry.html[/rm]

2. GreenVTEC

GreenVTEC Well-Known Member

Well duh*

Did folks really think Toyota was all about going total green and leading the path to fuel savings?

... The Prius is just a market filler. Sell a car in a market segment with little competition help raise the companies FE so it can produce large guzzlers.

3. chilimac02

chilimac02 Bible Professor & Minister

Unfortunately that is probably true. They can boast that their "product line" has a high MPG rating because the Prius pulls up the Tundra...

4. mdensch@charter.net

mdensch@charter.net Well-Known Member

Toyota is a huge, monolithic, bureaucratic, multi-national corporation just like any other. They happen to offer a number of fuel efficient cars and they happen to have developed an important green technology, but the bottom line is that their focus is the bottom line. Profit, not altruism, is their prime motivating factor. Sometimes they have to be dragged kicking and screaming to do the right thing just like any other giant corporation.

5. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Surprise, Surprise, even Toyota dosn't want mandates.

Just because Toyota doesn't want mandates doesn't mean they "don't think global warming is for real".

Tighter EPA regulations aren't some magic cure for co2 emissions, and a joke if a reduction of 80% from 1990 emissions by 2050 is to be achieved.

6. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

This was why I bought (a relatively modest amount of) stock in Honda years ago, and not Toyota. I think Honda's far more committed to the environment than Toyota, and I'm convinced that by the time I retire it WILL matter.

7. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

There is another option....Toyota wants to stay the green leader. If they fight against higher MPG and win, its possible that the other "local" manufactures will take advantage and produce lower mileage cars. In so doing, Toyota may destroy them with their offereings. Even when your for something, its sometimes better to give your competors a chance to be against it.

8. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Lets do the math, Profit on a Prius is less than $1000, profit on a Tundra is $3,000 plus.
    Not hard to figure out which one makes money for Toyota.

Most of the American loaded big pick up's and SUV's were generating upwards of $10,000 profit per vehicle.