Yaris in Europe is not standing still with new Optimal Drive

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by xcel, Jan 19, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Fuel economy improvements no matter the engine chosen.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2009_European_Toyota_Yaris.jpg[/xfloat]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Jan. 19, 2009

European 2009 Toyota Yaris – Upgraded with the “Right Stuff.”

The Yaris in Europe outsells the States by almost 2.5:1. Along with it being the company’s best-selling model in Europe, Yaris sales on the Continent have reached over 2.1 million units since initial launch.

Hybrid technology has been playing an ever increasing role in Toyota’s European sales success but HSD has not had nearly the same success as the Yaris itself. Thus Toyota wants to also strengthen its position as a leader in conventional powertrain technology which brings us Optimal Drive. The concept is simple – enhance performance, while reducing fuel consumption.

Toyota’s Optimal Drive improves combustion efficiency, lowers engine/transmission weight, and reduces friction to produce new engines that deliver more power yet, at the same time, are more fuel efficient.

Improved 1.4L Turbo-Diesel

The 1.4-litre D-4D diesel engine features latest generation common rail technology with an inter-cooled turbocharger.

Integration of the latest common rail and piezo-electric technology along with a lower compression ratio allows high injection pressures for improved combustion efficiency and lower emissions.

Other engine improvements include a water spacer jacket, serpentine auto tensioner, “in oil pan” oil pump, low viscosity oil and reduced belt tension.

All-new 1.33L Engine

The Yaris 2009 is available with a new 1.33L gasoline engine featuring “Start/Stop” technology. The new engine is fitted with state-of-the-art Dual VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent) producing 101 HP and has the world’s highest compression ratio for a gasoline engine at 11.5:1. FE of 46.1 mpgUS combined on the NEDC with either of the tall geared 6-speed transmissions is the result.

Improved 1.0L Engine

The 1.0L, 3-cylinder power plant includes the following improvements:
    • A newly developed fuel cut off system saves fuel during gear changes
    • Improvements to the Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) management
    • Certified use of lower viscosity oil for less engine resistance
    • Exhaust Gas Recirculation system and cylinder block water jacket spacer included
    In addition, low rolling resistance tires on the 1.0 and 1.33L Yaris’ contribute to the lower fuel consumption figures.

New 6-Speed Transmission(s)

As part of the Toyota Optimal Drive technology a new 6-speed transmission was developed for the 1.33-litre Dual VVT-I and 1.4-litre D-4D engines. This new transmission delivers world-class levels of transmission efficiency and improved fuel economy thanks to a tall 6th gear ratio.

The 6-speed manual transmission also improves shift feeling using a new shift structure to offer a high level of quietness by optimizing gears and smooth clutch feeling.

The Yaris 1.0L VVTi, 1.33-litre Dual VVT-i and 1.4-litre D-4D can be ordered with the latest 6-speed version of Toyota’s MultiMode system. This efficient new gearbox is an electrically-operated automated manual transmission, adopting two electric motors and an electronically-operated clutch to produce either automatic or sequential gear change.

2009 European Yaris basic performance specs and FE increase over predecessors

Column1Column2Column3Column4Column5
    Engine size (L)*Transmission**FE (mpgUS)% increase in FE from previous gen.0 – 60 mph (seconds)
    1.0 Gas6-speed MT47.0+ 9%15.5
    1.0 Gas6-speed MMT48.0+ 10%16.7

1.33 Gas6-speed MT w/ Stop/Start46.1+ 21%11.5
    1.33 Gas6-speed MMT w/out Stop/Start46.1+ 17 %13.2

1.4L D4D Diesel6-speed MT57.4+ 10%10.5
    1.4L D4D Diesel6-speed MMT56.0+ 9%11.7

* MT: Manual Transmission, MMT: Automated Manual Transmission
    ** On the European NEDC test cycle(s)​

The only real question is when will the North American Yaris receive the powerful yet very fuel efficient 1.33L w/ the tall-geared 6-speed MT or MMT and possibly Start/Stop? Europe’s got it now. Let us hope to see the US receive it soon.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. Elixer

Elixer Well-Known Member

European's CAFE standards have made the push towards FE cars. Hybrid-like FE without having to build a hybrid or do anything really fancy, just some decent engineering. If only we could see these cars make their way over to the US...

3. jsmithy

jsmithy Well-Known Member

I get so tired of hearing what Europe gets and the US doesn't. Hello! Bring these cars to the US, Toyota, etc.

4. flatty

flatty Member

We already have the cars/chassis. They are just not selling the inexpensive and more economical drivetrains here.

The Honda Fit, with its Chevy Cobalt-like MPG (31 combo) is probably the perfect example. The euro version Jazz, with the 1.2 and good gearing is good for around 40 mpg combo. How hard would it be for Honda to certify the 1.2l here? Or a small diesel? Less than developing the US only 1.5?

But, the new Hindsight II Hypebrid will cover that space, so you will pay 'the premium' to get the MPG.

You're an American, you can afford it.

5. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

It's great for Europe and Asia to have all these common sense products available to them, but it's really frustrating for me to have to drive around in a small car with a 1.5 and have no other choice in the price range.

The mindset that we need over powered larger cars to be safe on the road, needs to change now and we need to start this change by forcing the car manufacturers to make products like this available here and give people the incentives to buy them and penalize them for buying wasteful vehicles.

6. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

My take on this is that North Americans aren't willing to pay a premium for their cars and that's one reason why we get less options. Less options equals lower overhead and lower costs.

If you think you're getting gouged on cars in the US you need to research car prices in other countries. Like Canada for example, where we are frequently gouged an extra 10-30% for the exact same vehicle in the US.

The US has the cheapest prices on cars in the world for a reason. European and Asian cars have tons of options and features which they also pay for in ways of much higher prices.

7. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

What is this feature of the engine?
    "Exhaust Gas Recirculation system and cylinder block water jacket spacer included"

8. mdensch@charter.net

mdensch@charter.net Well-Known Member

Some IMHO observations:
    * Toyota seems to be moving in the same direction as Ford, i.e. continue to develop hybrids but also look at new engine technologies to improve mpg without the expense of a hybrid system.
    * Europeans are accustomed to paying premium prices for subcompact cars, Americans are not. Like it or not, that's a fact. Load a subcompact with high tech features, charge a premium price and in the U.S. you'll sell 20,000 rather than the 200,000 you'll need to make it worth your while.
    * Different technologies work best in specific applications. Hybrids shine in dense urban driving environments, which is why the technology came from Japan and sells best there. Europeans have long embraced diesels and since their driving distances tend to be somewhat longer, high mpg gasoline and diesels may be more appropriate there.
    * As much as a you might want a Yaris with a 1.0 or 1.3L engine, Toyota won't bring it to the U.S. unless it is confident that it can sell them in large numbers. Apparently, they don't believe that they could.

9. Indigo

Indigo Witch with wry sense of humor

So... how come the stop/start option doesn't improve fuel economy at all?

10. chibougamoo

chibougamoo Well-Known Member

Only in Europe you say?

WAAAAAAAaaaaaaaah!

11. bnther

bnther Well-Known Member

Any chance that 6-speed tranny will mount up to my current motor?

I would not hesitate to pay 2K+ for tranny and install for that extra gear.

12. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

It is plain to see that even the Euro TDI version is overpowered-a 10.5 0-60 is too quick for max FE.

It probably doesn't need more than a 1 liter TDI.The vast majority of cars/vehicles sold during the 79-84 gas crunch did 16 second 0-60's. We accepted that as necessary.It really didn't make us "late" for anything or make them less safe.

Charlie

13. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Amen! These days, my Civic goes 0-60 in approximately never. Or maybe 0-60 in about 3 months, on the occasional highway trip. :p

14. xcel

Hi Southerncannuck:

___The Water Jacket Spacer is a recently introduced engine block plumbing addition made of DuPont plastic. It was installed on the 1.33L to help even out temperature deltas across the block and in particular, cool the top of the block more where combustion takes place. This allows a much higher compression ratio without detonation. Look at the 1.33’s compression ratio (11.5:1) and you can see how it helps improve the efficiency of this gas only engine! Coolant flow in a normal block concentrates near the middle and bottom where the lower temperature occur due only to piston movement (friction) leaving a wide delta compared to where combustion temps are highest near the top of the cylinder.

___EGR’s are normally used to control NOx and are included on many vehicles but they also can increase FE by lowering the differential between the intake VAC and Exhaust positive pressure (reduce pumping losses), reduces the temperature of the air/fuel charge allowing higher compression ratios and forces a leaner A/F mixture. The Prius, Echo and Yaris 1.5L engines had an internal EGR IIRC meaning the exhaust valve would stay open while a VAC was being built up in the cylinder to draw in some exhaust gases back in as well as the incoming intake fuel/air charge. Mostly for NOx control I am sure. Apparently, the new 1.33L uses an all-new external EGR?

___Mdensch, I doubt the all-new 1.33L and the new yet lighter weight 6-speed (I did a write-up on both a few months ago) cost much more than the current 1.5L let alone the standard and ancient AT we use here in the US. The 1.33L is a drop in as is the 6-speed MT and MMT and I pray that Toyota does the US right by including each in the next MMY update/upgrade/new release whatever with each.

___Hybrids also shine in non-urban areas as the engine downsizing really makes a difference. In the case of the new Prius-III, I suspect Toyota is making up for the larger motor with the low RPM SHM and the fact that the 1.8L ICE in the Corolla is almost as efficient as it is in the much lighter Yaris with benefits on the performance side too.

___This is a brand new engine and tranny’s. With Ford readying their own super economy B- and C-Class sized platforms (Fiesta and upcoming Focus), the Optimal drive tech will eventually get here. It is the question of when :(

___Indigo, look at the 0 to 60 mph figures and this will tell you why the MMT w/out matches the MT with.

___Bnther, now wouldn’t that be a sweet upgrade for your Yaris!!!!! Let me know if you want the 6-speed ratios as I skipped posting them in this quick overview.

___Andrew, in this one case, I can see the 1.33L allowing us a lot more FE than the 1.0 in many instances. Remember the XRS we reviewed last summer? Who would have thought a boy racer with a 2.4L and 0 – 60 times under 8 seconds would pull almost 63 mpg? The reason why is the fuel burn was so short during a pulse to be almost ridiculous. The 1.0L is going to take a long time to get up to Glide speed whereas the 1.33L sacrifices some fuel consumption at steady state, during any city P&G scenario, I bet it would eat the 1.0L alive. Just a hunch but I suspect that would be the case.

___All just my random thoughts anyway???

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  15. Sival

Sival New Member

Why don't they bring that configuration Yaris in North America? Look at those 0-60 times. Nearly 16 seconds for the 1.0L engine with manual transmission. With that acceleration, just to keep up with traffic in city driving, you probably have to floor the pedal. Now I know the most willing hypermilers don't care much, but they're not a very large market, not enough to justify bringing those engines here anyway. Like it or not, it is a security problem (or at least a perception of security problem) when you have to merge on the highway. You don't merge into a highway lane with a lot of cars doing 70 MPH when you're doing 55, that's a recipe for disaster. Any traffic engineer or security expert will tell you, higher speed don't provoke more accidents, they only make those accidents worse, it's variation between the speed of vehicles on the same road that causes more accidents.

Also, be careful about fuel consumption figures from Europe, they do not test like the EPA. They have two cycles, urban and extra-urban, but their loops differ from the EPA. If the city (urban) loop yields similar results to that of the EPA, their highway (extra-urban) cycle is a lot more optimistic than the new EPA, from comparisons with certain vehicles shared between the market, it might even be more optimistic than the Canadian rating on the highway, a good 20% better than the EPA one. Just an example, the Cobalt XFE, rated to do 37 MPG highway in the US is rated at 5.4 l/100 km in Canada, meaning nearly 44 MPG, it could maybe be 45-46 MPG in Europe. To compare, reduce extra-urban european figures by 20-25% to find out an estimate MPG rating that the EPA would give.

16. xcel

Hi Sival:

___The 1.0L is a little slow but the 1.33 is a 101 HP engine, just 5 HP short of the current US based Yaris 1.5L. And far more fuel efficient let alone a real 6-speed MT that will dust the US 1.5L equipped Yaris with the AT by a second or more in the EU's 0 - 62 mph requirement. I wish the EPA would mandate the 0 - 60 mph test under equivalent conditions so we know what our behemoths actually pull vs. the all over the map stuff you see in the car reviews of the same vehicle.

___If you look at any Euro preview I have posted over the years, I try to distinguish the NEDC vs. EPA although I do convert all specs into English from either Metric or Imperial. 20 to 25% is a bit much and when I do a direct comparison, I use an 18% offset from NEDC to 08 EPA. I also use the combined figure as it is a bit closer to reality. For the 07 and prior EPA, they NEDC and EPA were a lot closer but I am moving away from that in any current or future comparison given it is outdated here in the US.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

17. Yarisman

Yarisman Well-Known Member

I would kill to have a 6 sp manual for my Yaris! I have no doubt that with that high gearing that I could pull 45+ on a regular basis.

18. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

I would buy that 1.0L with the MMT transmission tomorrow. But will get the chance? Seriously doubt it :-(

19. xcel

Hi All:

___I went back and pulled the RPM’s at 60 mph with the ratios and tire sizes for both the 1.33L SI-ICE and the CI-ICE 1.4L D4D.

___Although better then the horrendous 5-speed MT Yaris’ ratios we have here, the 1.33L’s 6th gear is still way to damned short :(

2009 Euro Yaris 1.33L w/ the 6-speed MT or MMT: 2,394 RPM@60 mph
    2009 Euro Yaris 1.4L D4D w/ the 6-speed MT: 1,854 RPM@60 mph

___Good Luck

___Wayne